Basenotes needs your help!

If you have found this site valuable, useful or entertaining, would you be willing to support us? Our current goal is to upgrade our ageing forum system and bring it to the modern age! Find out More here

Chypre Palatin (2012)
by MDCI

Chypre Palatin information

Year of Launch2012

HouseMDCI
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour

About Chypre Palatin

Chypre Palatin is a shared / unisex perfume by MDCI. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Chypre Palatin fragrance notes

Reviews of Chypre Palatin

All chypres call my name, and this one in particular has a gorgeous angularly-green opening that draws me in and holds me tight for approximately 10 minutes. Then, unfortunately, the whole thing collapses like a flattened souffle, and the fun is over. The rest is simply too abstractly floral and powdery for me to appreciate, especially after that glorious beginning. Perhaps if it hadn't begun with such flair. Perhaps if the greenery weren't so attenuated. Perhaps if the majority of its scent-life weren't so "vanilla" and humdrum.
29th April, 2018
It's a nice floral with a vintage/old feel. I'd say it's on the masculine side but can be truly unisex. I don't know chypre well, but I guess it's what gives me the vintage feeling. I can't describe the notes, as they are too unknown and mixed together. But the whole fragrance is very pleasant, and full of character. It might be worth a full bottle, or a sample if you don't know what a chypre is. Projection and longevity are great!
18th April, 2017
Parfums MDCI Chypre Palatin is a heavy chypre with a strong mix of lavender and labdanum in the opening, giving it a sharp edge from the onset, the dry down giving way to a floral heart of iris, rose, and gardenia, and finally a hodgepodge of base notes, most of which I don't detect at all, the standouts of which for me are the oakmoss and castoreum, fostering a woody and animalic combination. I barely detect any sweetness at all that one might expect from vanilla or benzoin.

Chypre Palatin leans masculine, as one might expect, but it's unisex enough that women could enjoy it too---it has a classic-enough appeal for both genders.

It's a good performer, ideal for cold weather, as it might simply be too cloying in the summer heat. It projects very strongly for about an hour and then has modest projection for several hours thereafter.

A nice entry but one that doesn't quite fit in with my ideal type of chypre, so not one I'll be pursuing further.

7 out of 10
24th March, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
A nice opening that combines a hesperidic side with a mix of galbanum and labdanum - a pleasant dyad that soon is enhanced by a slightly green and herbal twist. Sage and hints of basil provide the herbal influx nicely.

Later in the drydown a floral shift sees the introduction of lavender, iris and gardenia, with a faint shadow of rose tones in the background. Further towards the base oakmoss is added to the mix, a fairly simple and somewhat attenuated and colourless mossy note that nonetheless infuses the whole with a certain crispy edge

Around that time the whole mix takes on the somewhat restrained sweetness of a somewhat creamy tonka impression, which over times turns increasingly powdery. This powderiness is fattened by styrax and benzoin to give is a richer and at times districtly leathery waxiness and quite a synthetic character.

I get soft sillage, adequate projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

In the absence of bergamot and a strong good natural oakmoss this is clearly not a high-quality typical chypre, but evidently a post-IFRA attempt at reconstructing one without really hitting the mark, although some of the cypre feel is recreated not too badly. The opening phase of this spring number is quite nice, as is the overall concept, but a certain thinness and at times nigh-generic impression prevents me from rating it higher. 2.75/5.
26th August, 2016
An absolute favorite, and currently in my top 5! I haven’t been smelling my wrists long enough to know exactly what a true chypre is, and for me, Duchaufour’s creations are usually bigger and sweeter than I like, but this is sheer pleasure! I can wear this anywhere, at any time. It’s classy, with a few nuances that keep it interesting throughout it’s life. Opening with effervescent greens, then showing creamy florals, oakmoss, balsam, sandalwood, vanilla and leather. Two thumbs way up!!
03rd January, 2016
Starts out slightly green, then morphs into a beautiful floral fragrance. Quality rose and supporting cast make for a winner. Projection and longevity are above average. 7.5/10
12th December, 2015