• Launched: 2012

Santal Majuscule Fragrance Notes

Shop for Santal Majuscule products online

$138.84*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 83.00)

Reviews of Santal Majuscule

Showing 1 to 6 of 21 reviews.
    positive 15 Positive Reviewsneutral8 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

RUDOLFO512's avatar
    RUDOLFO512

When I first sprayed Santal Majuscule on my wrist, it reminded me of a fall day, chilly and hanging out with friend next to a fire place. It definitely smells very boozy and cozy. It is very well blended and I love it. I don't know if I can pull off wearing it here in Florida. With the intense heat we get maybe I can wear it at night. Definitely not a day fragrance IMO. It is definitely one of my favorite Serge Lutens.

05 April, 2014

foetidus

I can tell that rose is an element of the opening accord, but I cannot pick out the rose note per se – I smell it only in combination. The opening accord that I get includes most of the elements in the fragrance: rose, tonka bean, rosewood, and sandalwood, and Santal Majuscule makes little pretense about its linearity. And it is linear both in aroma and intensity, which makes it an easy decision for purchasing – if one like the smell and impact of it in the first couple minutes, he/she will likely enjoy the performance and smell of it all the way through. Toward the end, the rose does lessen in intensity and the cocoa note strengthens, but the basic wood accord that appeared in the opening flash remains pretty much the same all the way through. As for the wood note, I don’t get very much sandalwood; it is much more of a rosewood fragrance, so if you don’t care for rosewood, you probably won’t like this one. As for me, rosewood is one of my favorites, but I was unsure of the rosewood sweetened by tonka emanations. I purchased Santal Majuscule anyway and I find myself wearing it more often than I thought I would.

17 March, 2014

OdilonRedon's avatar
    OdilonRedon

A spicy panforte rolled in fresh cedar shavings. This is a dense Lutens, similar in its infused syrup heaviness to La Fille En Aiguilles, but unlike La Fille, the weight and linearity of Santal Majuscule failed to charm me. There are moments of beauty: the fig mentioned by Darvant appears at one point but doesn't stay around for long enough, and various fleeting glimpses of the promised sandalwood also pop up, only to be swallowed up by the syrup. Fatiguing and long-lasting. Tantalizingly, when I woke up the next day, all that was left on my wrist was a lovely, matter-of-fact sandalwood that I would have praised to the heavens if it had been the main event.

09 December, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Well blended, nice rose and sandelwood

No note clearly dominates to me; its a lovely blend of rose notes and sandalwood, without the sandalwood taking over. The cocoa note stays close to the skin; as does this fragrance in general. As sandalwood is not my personal favorite note, it is not stating off fantastic, merely good.

Two hours in, I get mostly rose, and a bit of wood that has morphed a bit; it is much more enjoyable. There is a hint of sweetness; I would have thought perhaps vanilla not cocoa, but I am sure that is my nose. Rather like the development over this. Still very much of a skin scent.

07 October, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

A rose with sandalwood

The mixture of sandalwood with rose wood and rose flowers, tinted with wintry darkness, and with a bit of tonka added, make up this scent on my skin. The sandalwood is of good intensity, with adequate projection, and a longevity of three hours on my skin. It is never really too sweet, and certainly not cloying. Not exciting either, though, more on the traditional side.

04 August, 2013

Opoponax's avatar
    Opoponax

Sandalwood in ALL CAPS

A lushly upholstered sandalwood, tempered by resiny amber and softened by a gauzy backdrop of the candied fruit notes so often scented in a SL fragrance. It's immensely likable, but I might have preferred a more austere approach. The effect is a bit like a recipe: quince simmered in brown sugar in a sandalwood tagine, with sandalwood shavings for garnish. It's easy to understand the sentiment behind the name. This is indeed a sandalwood writ large, in ALL CAPS if you will. I found the scent to alter little in the drydown phase. What the nose initially encounters is pretty much what it gets, throughout the entirety of the experience. Santal Majuscule stays close to the skin with minimal waft and sillage. Lasting power was less than I would have expected, given the forceful attack of the initial minutes.

Pros: Luscious, sugared
    Cons: Displays little evolution over time; short-lived

11th June, 2013