Santal Majuscule (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseSerge Lutens
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Santal Majuscule

Santal Majuscule is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2012

Santal Majuscule fragrance notes

Reviews of Santal Majuscule

Yet another terrible scent from Lutens, purporting to be "great."
I had to look up Majuscule, thinking it French, but non, c'est Anglais - the opposite of "Minuscule."

A Great Sandalwood, they proclaim. Don't you believe it. No sandalwood here at all. The usual sharp, bitter, nasty Oud scent they are SO fond of. Rose, Cocoa, Tonka???? Where???

The dry down does get points for being less nasty than the opening blast. I suppose the tonka is winning points here! I smell more cedar here than the purported sandalwood.

When I go back to my vintage scents, redolent of REAL Mysore Sandalwood in their compositions, the mere thought of the word "Santal" in a Lutens creation, sends shivers up my spine. They don't know the meaning of the word or the scent itself.

Pass it by, folks. Invest in Guerlain's Vol De Nuit or even Caswell Massey's Tricorn for those who must watch their budgets. Who had a clue back in the good old days that real sandalwood would disappear forever.
21st June, 2016
Very oriental/Indian smelling. I get some wood, but certainly not much. Mostly spiced up florals, mostly rose. As previously mentioned dark and rich. Hard to pull of for most men, probably but I think this is lovely to be honest.
09th June, 2016
I thought I would love Santal M as I like most everything with sandalwood and have loved almost everything I've tried from Lutens. Unfortunately, SM is a just too subtle for my taste and after several wearings, I don't detect any of the rich sandalwood described in other reviews. I pick up mostly rose and then fruit and spices. It's a nice scent that I think is more feminine than masculine, but enjoyable to the nose. Just doesn't work for me and not what I was expecting.

A weak Neutral.

12th December, 2015 (last edited: 24th January, 2016)
Not my style but pleasant. Soft, gentle, romantic.
Hints of rose/floral, wood, and cocoa. A rather subdued scent. Thankfully not cloyingly sweet or rich, as are some SL scents.
26th November, 2015
The more I wear this one, the more I fall in love. I find it more interesting than beautiful, though. For a perfume that lists so many comforting notes - cocoa, rose petals, sandalwood, and so on - Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens avoids falling into the trap of being overly comfortable or plush. What I mean is that it is full of accords that pull and push against each other, creating an interesting tension that keeps you on your toes for much of the ride.

The opening is dense to the point of sensory overload. It takes some getting used to, but once it clicks, it becomes as addictive as a drug. There is a strong boozy cocoa note interacting so violently with a jammy red rose that it almost conjures up a phantom note of coffee – aromatic, dark, rich. The first few times I tried it, the opening always seemed too intense for my tastes - too syrupy, too aromatic, too something.....but then I found myself going back for more, like a moth to a flame.

After the opening, the push and pull begins. The sour, lactic tang of the sandalwood clashes with the syrupy sweetness of the rose; the bitter dustiness of the dark cocoa stands off against the oiliness of the wood; these contrasting notes and textures rub up against each and then pull apart again in the most interesting ways possible. It is full of these little tensions, some of which are still unresolved by the time we get to the creamy, woodsy base.

I think that Santal Majuscule, like Chanel’s gorgeous Bois des Iles, is an artistic reconstruction of the Mysore sandalwood smell without using the real thing itself. It uses the different textures and angles of the rose, cocoa, and woody notes to stand in for the varied range of tones you get in real Mysore sandalwood – rosy, woody, syrupy, dusty, milky, sour, sweet, and oily. At the base, there is a wonderful creamy woodiness, relieved only by a touch of fruity rose, reminding me nothing so much as one of those delicate, creamy Indian puddings that taste oddly floral with rosewater and saffron.

It works on almost every level. My one complaint is that most of the exciting intensity is packed into the first two or three hours of the scent, with the long drydown a more pedestrian affair of creamy, rosy woods. I find the beginning of Santal Majuscule so addictive that I have to stop myself from spraying it over and over again every few hours to replay it. Gorgeous, compelling stuff nonetheless, and one I will be wearing a lot of this autumn.
29th October, 2014
Wow was my first impression of this gorgeous fragrance from Serge Lutens. It opens with a totally captivating beautiful rose note blended in with soft sandalwood. Throughout you can pickup hints of powdery cocoa though the rose dominants.

What I love about the rose here is that it's very bright and a little sweet and almost fruity smelling. Very addictive I must say.

The longevity and projection are very good with this one. This is a very beautiful romantic fragrance that smells absolutely great.
10th June, 2014

Add your review of Santal Majuscule

Shop for Santal Majuscule products online

Search Amazon for Santal Majuscule

Member images of Santal Majuscule

There are no member images of Santal Majuscule yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Santal Majuscule