Umbra
    by Ramon Monegal

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 15 ratings

Umbra Fragrance notes

Haitian Vetyver Root, Yugoslavian Tree Moss, Madagascan Black Pepper, Bourbon Geranium Leaves, Canadian Fir Balsam, Tonka Haricot

Umbra information

Umbra is a unisex fragrance by Ramon Monegal. The bottle was designed by Ramon Monegal

Shop for Umbra products online

50ml EdP
    $203.34*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 130.00)

Reviews of Umbra

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.

freewheelingvagabond's avatar

India India

Not a fan of this.

Opens up with a promising lemon note and a woody background, and is quite nice in the beginning. However, from there on the citrus subsides and a sweetness, attributable perhaps to the tonka bean note, surfaces. I have trouble picking out the vetiver, but the fragrance retains a remotely earthy feel that is characteristic of so many vetivers. The overall effect is a nondescript, almost candy-sweet and vaguely woody scent without any class or character. Almost a scrubber.

If you are looking for a citrus-woody fragrance, look at Versace L'Homme. If you're looking for a vetiver, tonka bean or vetiver -tonka bean combination, look elsewhere.

Projection and longevity were nothing to write home about.

09th February, 2015

Colin Maillard's avatar

Citrus opening on a weird, unsettling, metallic/ozonic base same note I detected in at least other 3 Monegal's. Mentholated and calone-ish balsamic accents, something shady and organic like oak moss, soft musks, some flowers. Wax-like vetiver which I never like, and I don't get why so many contemporary vetivers do have that awful glue-like smell. I like this more when the flowers kind of "morphs" into a nice accord of sweet and talcum notes, while the vetiver note becomes more rubbery and soft. This creates a sort of weird but interesting suede-like texture which I quite enjoy. Then again, a change; this all melts and slowly becomes almost a chypre accord with a balsamic breeze yes, kind of Mitsouko realm here, respectfully talking. While overall I don't like Monegal that much, I must admit I quite enjoy this fragrance the notes, the materials are bit "meh...", but still it has a nice and intriguing story to tell, with quite a lot of twists and surprises.

7,5/10

16th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2014)

rogalal's avatar

I really have no idea why I'm just not enjoying Umbra. This is the kind of scent that I usually love, and which almost always smell great on me.

It goes on with a blast of grapefruit before the bergamot/moss chypre smell comes through, supporting a leafy green smell that's as much mossy geranium as it is vetiver. The whole thing is a weird push/pull between the brightness of the citrus and the fusty mossy quality of the greens, which I think is what's turning me off. Somehow, they don't feel fully incorporated, like there's a note missing or maybe one too many ingredients. I honestly don't know, but something in there just isn't "clicking" for me, and I think it's just something personal.

I suppose it's mostly that there are so many excellent vetivers out there (Guerlain, Chanel, Givenchy, MPG, Dior, et al) that I have little patience for one that doesn't wow me.

31st March, 2013

Buzzlepuff's avatar

This fragrance is the very best of what I look for in fragrance. Cool, peppery, uplifting, green, haunting as it draws you in to itself. It is a beautiful vetiver fragrance at its core, but the pepper plays such a big role that it is almost an equal partner. The green fir note is also very noticeable as it amplifies the vetiver while the moss note is like a background fog of atmosphere. I don't really smell tonka at all but I suppose it is used as a stabilizer or fixative for the other more volatile green, fir and pepper. This is a great fragrance for me and I enjoy wearing it. I highly recommend it.

15th March, 2013

Marais's avatar

A watered-down version of Vetiver Tonka, masculinised by reduced sweetness and a bit of added pepper. Very pleasant for the 3 hours it lasted.

26th October, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

opens with a clean vetiver. dries down to a pepper and geranium note. Very green dry-down. geranium dominates a little soap, but not enough to be obnoxious. Crisp as a fall morning. There is something sweet hiding in the background, the tonka bean. This is a close cousin fragrance to Ramon Monegal's Cuirelle

18th October, 2012

Umbra by Ramon Monegal Perfumes Eau De Parfum 1.7 oz Spray
    • Time Left: 6 days
    (* converted from CAD 250.0) Ebay United States

Member images of Umbra

There are no member images of Umbra yet. Why not be the first?