Golden Cattleya
    by Olympic Orchids

Average Rating:

Golden Cattleya information

Golden Cattleya is a unisex fragrance by Olympic Orchids.

Reviews of Golden Cattleya

Showing 1 to of 3 reviews.
    positive 2 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

rogalal's avatar

Another interesting one from Olympic Orchids. It's dense and complex and reminds me of of an acacia tree, swollen with pollen, right as it's about to drop its blooms all over the ground. It's sort of like honey, but more like wax, with a woody undertone. There's also a floral aspect that reminds me of a really dark orange blossom or maybe linden. And it also noticeably incorporates Olympic Orchids' signature creme soda note.

Acacia scents always remind me of Caron, and this is no exception, though Golden Cattleya doesn't have Caron's powder or overall "perfumeyness", relying instead on the earnest warmth of essential oils to give it depth. I've enjoyed wearing it, but it hasn't really won me over. The waxiness of a little too forward for me - there were times I felt like I was sniffing a flowery crayon. That being said, I can see why other like this so much.

15 September, 2012

zubi's avatar

Kenya Kenya

Opening: What is that yellow goodness? I see an edible yellow creamy flower infront of me; there's a gourmandy sweetness that is probably the honey. Some have said that this is the honey scent for honey haters; I don't care who it's for - it is scrumptious. Some may find the opening too sweet (I doubt it), but for me this opening is HAPPY. There is joy dabbed onto my arm, and I'm confused as to how she managed to capture and bottle such an emotion.

The bright yellow honey opening softens to become a creamy yellow satisfaction - like the calm bliss after meditation (please let me find more synonyms for "happy" soon). It's almost as though Ellen realised that too much happiness can be draining, and slightly diluted it to become a constant emotion that just fills you with a much more peaceful and confident .... "happiness" (sorry, no thesaurus near me. And I'm too absorbed in this perfume to google anything!).

The new confident but soft flower that shows up after the opening, is dripping with a few dewdrops of a caramel honey, but it's not too sticky to become cloying, as there is a green stalk that prevents this flower from becoming a barbie-like pink juice (Did I mention the juice is also yellow? What fun!). This part wafts beautifully through the day, making you go "Ooh! What's that?? Oh, oops, just me." This stage of the fragrance reminds me of Audrey Hepburn in a way. I could see her wearing this during her fun goofy days - her beauty is very understated, but once you notice it, by GOD do you notice it! I never understood the hype, until I watched a movie with her in it. Her eyes! The purity and innocence in the moments where she smiles is something that will stay with me forever.

I'm supposed to be explaining all the notes and how the drydown is, but I just cannot. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" - and if it's perfect, don't analyse it. Some things are purely beautiful, and (okay I'm getting emotional now) just should not be described as being anything other than a work of art that carries a little piece of spirit/soul/energy in it. Just as the photographer in me cannot describe why Audrey is beautiful through analysing her features, I cannot explain the beauty of Golden Cattleya by listing its notes or how they react to eachother. The joy I feel is something that is a gift, from Olympic Orchids to me. Would you question someone if they gave you a button to make you happy, or simply enjoy it with all the gratitude in the world?

11th August, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

An amazing opening, like a sustained organ chord where lapping overtones create a world of nuance – orange (both flesh and candied), hints of green among spring flowers, bass waves of resin, all dance against the predominant sweet floral chord. A linden theme emerges in the heart, rich and honeyed, and the vanillic cream soda mousse. This is hugely sweet, but not a puddle of syrup; it remains well-textured and layered. There’s a central tension between an underlying almost-sticky density and lighter notes which have the fruity tones of just-bloomed yellow flowers. A touch of dirt or earth may well have achieved great things.

18 July, 2012