Red Cattleya

Red Cattleya information

HouseOlympic Orchids
PerfumerEllen Covey

About Red Cattleya

Red Cattleya is a shared / unisex perfume by Olympic Orchids. The fragrance was created by perfumer Ellen Covey

Reviews of Red Cattleya

I like Gimmegreen's description of the topnotes as "audacious". Really, it's a ridiculous red "froot" smell that's halfway between cherry cough syrup and Hawaiian Punch. It's ludicrous and immature but it makes me smile and somehow won me over despite myself.

Rather quickly, a woody structure emerged, eclipsing the "froot" smell when I sniffed my arm, though I kept catching shards of pineapple or peach in my sillage. The heart was based on what I assume is the same rosewood as Olympic Orchids' Javanica. There's a lot more there, possibly a papyrus-like lavender and some spices, but the end result is a smell like the yellowed pages of a very old, dry book, lightly dusted with pie spices and a touch of vanilla, with the remnants of the crazy red froot topnotes keeping things sweet.

The fade is very fast, almost exaggerated, so for most of the day, I mostly smelled a sweet vanilla smudge, lightly flavored with papyrus and red "froot". That's my biggest complaint, but I still enjoyed the ride enough to give a thumbs up.
14th September, 2012
I love the audacity of the tropical fruit punch opening – an unreal juiciness, a bit like those boiled sweets that are so concentrated that they embody the idea of fruit rather than the reality. An all-weather scent that will lift spirits in winter. Whereas some of the Olympic Orchids have headache-inducing projection, this one is more polite. There’s a hint of musk in the base, but I miss the subtlety a touch of wood may have added. On the whole this is a top heavy composition, with little by way of a grounding base – so when those fruity notes start to turn fuzzy some hours in, one is left with pretty indistinct sweet slop.
08th August, 2012

Add your review of Red Cattleya

Shop for Red Cattleya products online

Search Amazon for Red Cattleya

Member images of Red Cattleya

There are no member images of Red Cattleya yet. Why not be the first?