Forest Walk (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseSonoma Scent Studio
PerfumerLaurie Erickson

About Forest Walk

Forest Walk is a shared / unisex perfume by Sonoma Scent Studio. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Laurie Erickson

Reviews of Forest Walk

This is a nice scent, but there is no forest here. The middle phase smells like what I can only describe as black tea boiling in a kettle with a hint of spices. The dry down is very reminiscent of Lagerfield's classic Lagerfield for men. Basically an older gentleman's scent.
19th June, 2015
Forest Walk opens with a beautiful pine-woody coniferous blend enriched by thick resinous nuances, amber, something candied, a medicinal feel. The key word is “balsamic”, with a sort of baroque gloomy touch. Slightly “caramelized”, too. Oriental and smoky (I think I get some incense too), several Lutens scents come to mind, filtered “the American way” like for many Slumberhouse scents – to which in fact Forest Walk does resemble a bit style-wise, with that same sort of darkness which smells both contemporary and post-industrial, and natural, almost “archaic”. A walk in a shady forest – Twin Peaks forests, if you want. Dark, balsamic, with a dense and thick, almost oily texture, made denser and juicier by a subtle sort of boozy-licorice whiff. Although as I said it reminds me a bit of Josh Lobb’s scents, Forest Walk smells actually a bit better than many Slumberhouse fragrances; more delicate, more natural and less linear enough to smell more “wearable”, less haunting, and in the end, less boring after some hours (don’t expect any particularly dynamic evolution, though). The powdery-floral touch of violet is brilliant, providing a glimmer of light and grace which brings Forest Walk from “good” to “really good”. Recommended.

7,5-8/10
16th February, 2015
Sonoma Scent Studio Forest Walk exhales by soon up in the winter sky all its irreproachable balanced boise splendor enriched by forest resins, musks, perfumed woods, leather, barks, berries and "berrish-like" fruity-floral combinations. It seems to be dealing with an incredibly polite (I mean clean, purified, essential and subtle) and dreamy new "ideal" (woodier) american Shiseido Feminite du Bois with all its silvan mystery narrating for us enchanted stories of immense north american spaces, loneliness, meditation, hippie on the road travels and impenetrable woods. I detect by soon (as well as it seems to emerge in Feminite du Bois and also in new olfactory experiences a la Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince and Mon Parfum Cheri Par Camille by Annick Goutal) a fruity-floral resinous mossiness really obscure (sort of ostensibly plummy-berrish one) and fairy. The deep resins evolve towards something (romantic and melancholic) really musky which tells about seasoned woods, smooth suede, violet-blackberries-raspberries "agreements". I detect for sure the note of olibanum which works itself in a decidedly velvety way (with no traces of liturgical traditional combustion) and this principle works exactly in the same way for the hard to be treated galbanum (in here moderately resinous and minimally dosed), the american wild evergreens absolute (so vegetal, pure and aromatic) the fir resins (aromatic in a subtle-silky way), the woods (really seasoned and smoothly perfumed), the floral-fruity notes (almost juicy but subtle and anyway refined), the suede (so minimal and complementary), finally for the balsams so soft and never sickly. The note of violet is central and its leaves enhance that woodsy-romantic vibe narrating about mysterious ponds, elves and fairies of the hidden imaginary dreamy universe of the northern forests. Along the way the deep dense boise main vibe of this atypical indie concoction (an "indie-european" refined accord) comes up and you can catch all the wonderful fruity mossiness and aromatic perfumed woodiness in a way that I frankly never find too sweet, euphuistical or manneristic. On the complex I find Forest Walk an enchanting natural (refined and "absolute") fragrance and a yet another proof of the Laurie Erickson's alchemic majestic craftsmanship and ability to turn a wild natural by essences made blend in to a refined silky (almost classic) olfactory orchestra.
22nd December, 2014
Many of the reviews are spot-on. I will agree with several of their points, and reiterate some.
I admire this scent and appreciate it -- but it does not attract me. I find its use of absolutes to be admirable, and the lovely array of forest notes assembled is likewise commendable.
However, the overall scent is perhaps overly complex and a bit of a jumble. I wished for more clarity and focus. I also found the recurring sweetness and richness of the scent a bit problematic (to my taste).
Starts with a very green, minty, almost metallic chord. Very forest-floor. Powerful. Oakmoss and violet are certainly notable. Very woody and coniferous, also a bit medicinal (which I like). Yes, a note reminiscent of Vicks Vaporub is here. I wonder if there is a bit of eucalyptus lurking in the background.
The dry-down has something like tobacco. Also boozy-rich characteristics emerge, and something like cherry cough syrup.
Those who like O'Driu, Slumberhouse or Juniper Ridge should check this out.
19th December, 2014
For those who find Juniper Ridge too crude, and Norne to be too vivid, Forest Walk is probably one of the most viable alternates in the game. It kicks off with some bitter coniferous notes that are rooty but also carry hints of the syrupy house aesthetic. (They're somewhat reminiscent of the bitter notes that emerge in Nostalgie to get that incredible chypre/aldehyde effect). As it settles in, what you get is an array of blue/green alpine notes that hover above a subtle cedar. It’s a complex forest floor effect, but it is one that's aesthetically sanitized—stripped of some of the more rancid characteristics you’d find in such an environment.

The depth and aspect of the forest is prismatic and quite trippy. Notes of fir and pine needles are detectable, but keep from going down the industrial air freshener path through the presence of the hemlock—a dark, sharp material with a slightly animalic bite. The residual bitterness is juxtaposed—somewhat awkwardly—against the sweeter notes of florals, but they’re turned down quite low, serving chiefly to take the edge of some of the rougher coniferous parts. While the blend is as meticulous as everything else from the line, it does strike me as a tad disordered—not quite as complimentary and unified as others, but largely due to the choice of the notes and the subject matter than the levels themselves. The odd juxtaposition of the florals does sort itself out over time in that the sharper pine/fir notes outlive the sweeter florals, and so an hour or so in, it starts to feel a little more considered and mellow.

I personally have a difficult time with certain coniferous notes, and I’ve yet to be able to really stomp down on what my beef is with them. I find that it’s herbal / shrub notes—what I would describe as more grey/teal than green—that can bother me. Although there’s nothing herbal at work here, it’s a shade of green that’s slightly too tainted by other tones for me to enjoy it fully. It feels somewhat contradictory in relation to more photorealistic compositions, rendering it as a tad too close to composed perfume in a genre that seems (to me, at least) to call for a little roughness. One other point of contention with this fragrance, albeit a mild one: compared with the other scents in the line, this one opens with a great deal of force, and it’s slightly overwhelming at first, eventually taming down into something more tranquil.

Even though my gripes are minor and hugely subjective, they might work in others’ favors—especially those who find some of the scents I mentioned at the outset to be too much forest. The sweetened section gives it more an aldehydic character; and rather than representing a specific forest space, Forest Walk strikes me as more of a collection of the author’s preferred facets of the forest that are polished and presented in a bold manner. Whereas I’ll stick with the nuanced brutality of Norne, Forest Walk can be perhaps be considered that scent's softer, more civilized counterpart.
03rd April, 2014
Dense and filled with notes, many of them forest smells in the beginning.The opening especially had the smell of cool, moist loam - of raw freshly-thawing earth in spring. After this distinct opening, it shifts to a melange of wood, green, resin and sweetness. While I don't mind the unstructured cornucopia, I do mind the sweetness. I know it's a popular and common juxtaposition anymore, but I've seldom enjoyed it. The mid-note was my least favorite part because of it. Really not my style. It turns boozy near the end, which is much better, kind of neat, especially with a slight earth or tobacco note, but I'm not interested enough to pursue it further. There are several other fragrances that have a sexy, sweetened boozy note without the dark fruit of the mid note. A little more skin, please. Not bad, but I'd never wear it.
05th January, 2014

Add your review of Forest Walk

Shop for Forest Walk products online

Member images of Forest Walk

There are no member images of Forest Walk yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Forest Walk