Tawaf Fragrance notes

Jasmine Sambac, Rose water, Oppoponax, Narcissus, Myrrh

Tawaf information

Tawaf is the final fragrance in the Arabian series. Tawaf is the name of the ritual consisting circumambulations around the Ka’abah, the cube shaped building in Mecca, adorned with black silk.

Reviews of Tawaf

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

I didn't get this fragrance until I read its description on the AbdesSalaam website: "Tawaf is the spiritual rite of seven circumambulations around the Ka'abah, the stone building in the court of the Mosque at Mecca. A bath of purification and lavish use of perfume begins the rite. Tawaf brings together the trails of Jasmine pilgrims wear, the rose water poured from buckets to wash the marble floor and the oppoponax attar spread by the handful over the corners of the Ka’abah. It is a spiritual fragrance."

Tawaf is a potent jasmine-soaked fragrance, strong from beginning to end, opaque in its denseness. Its passionate insistent jasmine, rose and opopanax drone is a little intoxicating, sort of mesmerizing one into a spiritual space. It represents the passion of devotion. It might be the fragrance I would bring on a spiritual pilgrimage, but I'm not sure it's widely wearable. But... a fragrance for passion in one's life, by all means.

05 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2014)

iivanita's avatar
    iivanita
    Croatia Croatia

This is masculine jasmine, made of relatively 2 simple accords: jasmine and opoponax

It opens up very potent, with the blast of the 2 accords in their full strength, smells rich, voluptuous, but unusual, jasmine changed the gender and colour, its brownish here, indolic parts of jasmine sambac are underpinned by animalic sweet opoponax, but overal feeling is like oily sticky , rich

The lasting power is 2 hours on me, i don't mind since this combo although beautiful but not most original how i initially thought, cant be my genuine love. I like jasmine to sing high C notes, ingredients are all natural . earthy,floral, muddy ,indolic, masculine jasmine, without animalic notes, compares to Chaldee, where opoponax accord smells more animalic, thiner and powdery!

If not for poor longevity would be thumbs up

26 January, 2013

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

Extreme jasmine; green, sharp, metallic, loud & high-pitched. lndolic in the "magic marker" sense, rather than dirty or animalic. l get just a hint of narcissus, & then a couple of hours in, it smells to me like a deadringer for Jardenia, with its green, lightly peppery vibe. From here it doesn't develop to my nose, but simply fades, & five hours in there's still no sign of any opoponax.
    l don't get any of the "mud" note that l've read about, but l confess to being rather disappointed with this one. l so wanted to love it, but it doesn't have the dirty jasmine or the warm opoponax l was expecting. l will revisit it when the weather turns warmer though, in the hope that it'll bloom for me then.

03 January, 2013

Larimar's avatar
    Larimar
    Austria Austria

Disgusting! My first thought was this smelled like a sink where chlorine was poured down to clean it up. Reading the notes list now, I have to say I love jasmine and opoponax in particular big time, but not that anything stood out to me. The drydown revealed an animalic base, the sweetish wee-wees civet base I so strongly dislike. I'll stick to the art of French Haute Parfumerie for as long as it survives.

19 December, 2012

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Tawaf opens with an extremely strong jasmine that smells quite dirty with a claylike undertone that comes off as almost animalic. The dirty jasmine remains in the heart where it is joined by a very natural dark rose that emerges briefly but never quite can keep up with the jasmine onslaught, quickly succumbing and disappearing entirely. All this leads to an oppoponax infused short-lived dry-down with the dirty jasmine finally receding to a now supporting role. Projection is average and longevity is below average.

I know this one is getting a lot of fanfare on Basenotes, but I just did not like Tawaf at all. The jasmine might be quite realistic, but maybe I prefer mine a bit toned down than the stuff here. The clay-like near animalic undertone was extremely off-putting and it really drew my concentration and enjoyment from the rest of the notes in the composition. The rose, while certainly nicely done was way too short-lived and was completely dominated by the jasmine, never allowing it to temper the dirtiness the jasmine presented. Finally, the much lauded oppoponax quite frankly was an additional disappointment due to the jasmine completely overpowering it like everything else. The bottom line is Tawaf may be an accurate presentation of dirty jasmine, but is that really something one wants to wear? In the case of this reviewer, if it smells like the stuff in Tawaf the answer is a resounding "No". Tawaf is not a terrible scent, but this minimalist composition disappointment earns a below average rating of 2 stars out of 5 and an "avoid" recommendation from me.

12 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 May, 2013)

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

I would describe Tawaf as a Religious Jasmine scent; from beginning to end I can detect a very linear and austere jasmine note. It reminds me of jasmine oil that I got from a friend who went to Makah and bought me some Surrati perfumes while he was there.

The jasmine is heady strong and very potent with excellent longevity and sillage; I like it for evening wear and would choose to wear it while outdoors in summer time.

I think that the scent might be better suited to arabic/mediterranean audiences.

06 October, 2012