Cologne Intense Collection : Velvet Rose & Oud (2012)
by Jo Malone

Cologne Intense Collection : Velvet Rose & Oud information

Year of Launch2012
AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseJo Malone
PerfumerFabrice Pellegrin
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Cologne Intense Collection : Velvet Rose & Oud

Cologne Intense Collection : Velvet Rose & Oud is a shared / unisex perfume by Jo Malone. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Fabrice Pellegrin

Cologne Intense Collection : Velvet Rose & Oud fragrance notes

Reviews of Cologne Intense Collection : Velvet Rose & Oud

Velvet Rose & Oud is utterly brilliant. I always feel that the traditional pairing of rose with oud never goes quite far enough to modulate the underlying sourness of oud, especially if the traditional Bulgarian rose is used, because there is always that faintly tart, green-lemon edge to Bulgarian roses that inches it too close to the sourness of the oud.

But this fragrance corrects that imbalance by adding a nutty, milky praline note to the mix that “cooks” the rose down into a dark spoon-sweet accord. So what you essentially get is a sort of strawberry and rose jam over dry, smoky oud wood. It’s dark, delicious, jam-sweet, and what’s more utterly comfortable to wear, lacking as it is in any of the attending harsh dryness or bitterness from the oud. It is actually quite close in smell and texture to Lush’s wonderful Rose Jam shower gel, but with the added mystery of oud and a true dark “flavor” missing in many fragrances that tout themselves as “noir” or “black”.

Two things might bother some people. First off, this might be too sweet for some – if you know the wonderful Oud Satin Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdijan, then be aware that it is in the same general ballpark as that, albeit a teeny tiny bit less sweet (and less complex overall). Second, once the intensity of the rose jam accord dies down, the fragrance gets a little thin and reedy, laying bare the bones of what appears to be the same synthetic oud material used in most Western oud scents, including the Montales – so if you’re not a fan of that oud note or find it too synthetic, then be aware that it does come out to play towards the end.

Also, although I don’t usually care about stuff like this, longevity and projection follow the Jo Malone pattern in that they drop off dramatically after the first few hours. In that sense, the complexity and texture of the extended dry down in Oud Satin Mood would indicate that the price difference between these two scents is justified. But when all is said and done, I do love this fragrance and I’d happily forget all these little quibbles for the sake of the glorious first few hours.
17th January, 2016
Eagerly awaited the arrival of this (rather large) sample of Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud. A very very pretty & easy rose & oud wear. I could see this one becoming a real hit with someone just experimenting with oud fragrances.

Overall, this is a lovely fragrance but disappointing. Not much to say. Opens with moderate oud & rose notes...some spice (clove). Remains pretty constant through dry down with oud, rose & clove. A bit creamy in the end, which I suppose is the praline.

Fell rather "flat" on my skin. Pretty but not great. Not much projection or silage, which I like in a perfume. I do not want to be over-bearing when I wear perfume; however, I want to know I have some fragrance on (especially at these prices, which are moderate actually).

Longevity is average to not great but typical based on my experiences with EDP in this price range/category. Wears close to the skin. Definitely great for someone who is a bit shy about wearing perfume, especially an oud. Delicate all the way. After 30 minutes or so, I could barely tell I had applied perfume.

A lovely perfume. Just not distinctive enough for my tastes. Do not think I'll be purchasing this one.
04th March, 2015
Rose and oud are indeed a classic combination and let me tell you, it blends amazing. If you have ever watched Sting's 'Desert Rose' videoclip, it'll remind you of that oriental, arabic-like juice of Jo Malone. It is strong and it lasts up to 16 hours on my skin and its projection is fair; up to 4 hours. I have to say it is a quite sweet and very well-balanced fragrance. If you like perfumes such as Tom Ford's Oud Wood I'd suggest you'd give this one a try as it is way sweeter than the former. If you prefer non-sweet perfumes, then you shouldn't go for it.
02nd March, 2015 (last edited: 05th March, 2015)
Rose and Oud are common notes and this is a very agreeable pairing in Velvet Rose & Oud. Not too risky, not too bold, and just the right amount of sweet. The fragrance is relatively linear, which I don't strictly consider a bad thing. I have a difficult time detecting the clove specifically but there is a mild spiciness to it that accompanies the sweet.

Longevity is a disappointing for an item priced as an EDP (categorized "cologne intense" in a small group in contrast to most of their fragrances, which are categorized simply as colognes), at $155 per 100ml. Even as an EDT, it would be a little disappointing, as the fragrance is all but gone for me after 7 hours, a workout, and shower. Perhaps without the shower and workout it would have remain a skin scent for another few hours, but otherwise, it's all but completely gone. I haven't tried any of their normal colognes but possess samples of a couple, so I imagine this doesn't bode well for those, though they're priced more moderately than the cologne intense at $120 per 100 ml, $60 per 30 ml.

Given the abundance of rose/oud fragrances out there, this doesn't seem to be a likely buy, but is certainly worth trying if you're a fan of that duo and aspire for a relatively simple take on them. Overall, very pleasant fragrance, good for both day or night, and while I can see most regarding this as a cold weather scent, I see it having year-round potential, especially given the underwhelming concentration.

7 out of 10
04th February, 2015 (last edited: 05th February, 2015)
I tried this one and loved it. It is not really strong yet really earthy with a bit of spice. I have Red Roses which I love but I think this is more my style. Nothing is overdone. The sillage is moderate and the longevity is not really long but I can't stop thinking I need this one.
29th December, 2014
Reviewing a rose/oud (or, more generally, a rose/incense) fragrance is like reviewing a hamburger or a white T-shirt: there's approximately 12 million of them out there, so inevitably you need to consider not just its inherent quality but also its relative quality. In this regard, Jo Malone's Velvet Rose & Oud is possibly the best rose/oud I've encountered yet, for 2 reasons.

1) Does what it says on the tin. There are 12 million rose/ouds because rose + oud is a great combination. But too many of these fragrances try to get creative with the combination, when really all you want is rose and oud and nothing else. (I'm side-eyeing YOU, Montale.) In this regard, VR&O is a clear winner: you get those two things and pretty much nothing else, and both the oud and rose smell high-quality. Longevity is quite good here; it's a linear fragrance but that's exactly the point!

2) Price. At the time of writing, this costs $145/100ml, making it by far the cheapest of the rose/incense fragrances I know of. As far as I can tell, VR&O uses the same synthetic oud base that most other oud fragrances use. There's nothing wrong with this base - it smells good - but it's also not something you should be paying, say, Tom Ford prices for.
11th January, 2014 (last edited: 12th January, 2014)

Add your review of Cologne Intense Collection : Velvet Rose & Oud