Velvet Rose & Oud (2012)

Average Rating:

Velvet Rose & Oud Fragrance notes

Damask Rose, Clove, Praline, Oud

Velvet Rose & Oud information

Velvet Rose & Oud is a unisex fragrance by Jo Malone. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Velvet Rose & Oud

Showing 1 to of 5 reviews.
    positive 7 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

landshark321's avatar

Rose and Oud are common notes and this is a very agreeable pairing in Velvet Rose & Oud. Not too risky, not too bold, and just the right amount of sweet. The fragrance is relatively linear, which I don't strictly consider a bad thing. I have a difficult time detecting the clove specifically but there is a mild spiciness to it that accompanies the sweet.

Longevity is a disappointing for an item priced as an EDP (categorized "cologne intense" in a small group in contrast to most of their fragrances, which are categorized simply as colognes), at $155 per 100ml. Even as an EDT, it would be a little disappointing, as the fragrance is all but gone for me after 7 hours, a workout, and shower. Perhaps without the shower and workout it would have remain a skin scent for another few hours, but otherwise, it's all but completely gone. I haven't tried any of their normal colognes but possess samples of a couple, so I imagine this doesn't bode well for those, though they're priced more moderately than the cologne intense at $120 per 100 ml, $60 per 30 ml.

Given the abundance of rose/oud fragrances out there, this doesn't seem to be a likely buy, but is certainly worth trying if you're a fan of that duo and aspire for a relatively simple take on them. Overall, very pleasant fragrance, good for both day or night, and while I can see most regarding this as a cold weather scent, I see it having year-round potential, especially given the underwhelming concentration.

7 out of 10

04th February, 2015 (Last Edited: 05th February, 2015)

AphroditeLux's avatar

I tried this one and loved it. It is not really strong yet really earthy with a bit of spice. I have Red Roses which I love but I think this is more my style. Nothing is overdone. The sillage is moderate and the longevity is not really long but I can't stop thinking I need this one.

29th December, 2014

Longexact's avatar

Reviewing a rose/oud (or, more generally, a rose/incense) fragrance is like reviewing a hamburger or a white T-shirt: there's approximately 12 million of them out there, so inevitably you need to consider not just its inherent quality but also its relative quality. In this regard, Jo Malone's Velvet Rose & Oud is possibly the best rose/oud I've encountered yet, for 2 reasons.

1) Does what it says on the tin. There are 12 million rose/ouds because rose + oud is a great combination. But too many of these fragrances try to get creative with the combination, when really all you want is rose and oud and nothing else. (I'm side-eyeing YOU, Montale.) In this regard, VR&O is a clear winner: you get those two things and pretty much nothing else, and both the oud and rose smell high-quality. Longevity is quite good here; it's a linear fragrance but that's exactly the point!

2) Price. At the time of writing, this costs $145/100ml, making it by far the cheapest of the rose/incense fragrances I know of. As far as I can tell, VR&O uses the same synthetic oud base that most other oud fragrances use. There's nothing wrong with this base - it smells good - but it's also not something you should be paying, say, Tom Ford prices for.

11th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 12th January, 2014)

rbaker's avatar

A light rose with a pleasant oud on my skin with an occasional whiff of spice. Overall nice but not special. Surprising, given the limited silage and projection on my skin, is the very good longevity of five hours. If you like a lighter rose and gentle ouds, this might be a good one to try.

21st February, 2013

odysseusm's avatar

Rose and oud are a classic combination, and they are done well in this scent.
    The rose is accurate but not cloying. The oud is bright and has a slight edge, but it is held in balance with the rose and compliments it and gives it a mysterious and languid aspect. This is not a challenging oud, it is a comforting one.
    Fear not -- the clove is very subdued and adds the merest spice note. The "praline" -- well I couldn't find it and that suits me fine as I don't like foody notes.

23rd September, 2012

Add your review of Velvet Rose & Oud

Member images of Velvet Rose & Oud

There are no member images of Velvet Rose & Oud yet. Why not be the first?