Coco Noir (2012)

Coco Noir Fragrance Notes

Coco Noir information

Coco Noir is a women's fragrance by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Coco Noir

Showing 1 to 6 of 19 reviews.

Bal a Versailles's avatar

Without owning a sample I would like to second everything Mimi Gardenia writes in her review and say that this is simply gorgeous on my daughter. Just because it may not (or it may) suit me doesn't detract from its obvious appeal. The longevity and sillage are right up there. I may buy a bottle before fragrance restrictions dumb down this Lois Lane of a perfume. "All roads lead to Rome" my Mother is fond of saying but perhaps all roads lead to Chanel. Impressive.

13 April, 2014

For the first 12 or 15 seconds I thought something wonderful was happening in this fragrance. There were a couple of seconds when I almost went weak in the knees it smelled so good. But when I realized that the excellence of the accord started dulling, and nothing else appeared to be happening, I began a search some sort of directional intent or progress. It didnít appear. Instead of a signature Chanel accord, which I usually look forward to, Coco Noir vaguely reminds me of Ormonde Man, which has an signature accord that I donít enjoy. Unfortunately, this second accord that I perceive is pretty much the whole progression for the fragrance.

I was expecting to enjoy this, but that didnít happen. I donít understand it Ė especially in relation to previous Chanels and Cocos that I have reviewed. I donít see a relationship with any of the Cocoís and I donít see this as a noirÖ I can see a bit of Chanel in it Ė the dominant accord is smooth, complex, and it has that touch of elegant-but-distant thing that usually signifies Chanels for me. But I donít really enjoy the use of geranium leaf, vanilla, and patchouli in Coco Noir. Iím disappointed in the averageness of this scent Ė not what I expected from a ďCocoĒ or a Chanel.

24 March, 2014

rogalal's avatar

I've been sampling and reviewing a lot of Chanel lately and I'm struck that I almost always end up thinking that their scents are well composed and of good quality, but they rarely dazzle me. Coco Noir is another perfect example of that.

It smells like grape soda at first, lifted slightly with aldehydes and given a rich heart of fruity patchouli, while a synthetic rubbing alcohol smell darkens things and keeps everything from going gourmand or coming off as a cheap fruity floral. Later, a subtle green leafy element takes the place of the rubbing alcohol and that's pretty much what it smells like all the way to the base: sweet fruity patchouli darkened with subtle greens.

Coco Noir is well made. All the elements fit together in a well thought out way. It's not to sweet or too patchouli-heavy and even the rubbing alcohol note (which I usually detest) is perfectly blended and lends interest without being intrusive. But it's not exciting. Compared to Femilite du Bois or Egoiste, the grand dame and stately gentleman of the fruity flowery patchouli genre, it's not quite dull, but definitely less exciting. That being said, it deserves a thumbs up, but it's not a five-star masterpiece, just a well made perfume that's unlikely to turn heads.

15 January, 2014

Francolino's avatar

the bottom line is...Unisex

This incredible floral woody with hints of patchouly is really unisex with great sillage, glad to wear it and enjoy it in these cooler temps!

18 October, 2013

prosperonline's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Not that feminie, a strong evening scent

I think Noir suits Coco Noir as it feels like an evening fragrance. It is not that feminine, but I have this feeling someone like, I don't know, maybe Grace kelly is somewhere very close by. That is the mood when I smell Coco Noir. Of course I don't have much mileage into women's perfums, so the ladies must have a bigger knowledge and can tell something about originality and how Coco Noir stands among other scents in the same league.
    There is a note in the opennig I cannot identify that is indeed very feminine, perhaps the narscissus, fruity and buttery at the same time, but it fades very quickly and then it goes on the path of ambery, sandalwood and littlle vanilla, patchoulli sort of scent. Very warm and confident. Maybe it is a bit too sweet. But overall it is a very classy scent, not for women only, that can be defined by the wearer. I can't stop thinking about CK Obsession. They seem to have a lot in common. However, there is no match for Chanel quality and appeal. I may not wear it but I am happy to own something as nice as Coco Noir. And who knows it won't add a little depth to Egoiste, as they share some notes? The bottle feels a little odd being quite smaller than male's scents.

Pros: Quality class and appeal
    Cons: The price?"

22 September, 2013

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Very Good

I have tried Coco Noir EDP a number of times without really stopping to smell it thoroughly I guess. I am wearing it this afternoon from a sample.

It is easy to dismiss this as a disappointment ,another Coco Mademoiselle, not as good as Coco the Original , another fruitchouli sensation, a cop out by Chanel.
    In actuality , it is a beautifully composed scent . A thoughtful scent and though it shares some qualities of Coco Mademoiselle and Coco , it is a different creation, I feel .

As Coco Mademoiselle is the extrovert little sister who loves Pink and a sophisticated thing in its own right - Coco Noir feels elegant , subtle and probably rolls her eyes a bit at Coco Mademoiselle's endless antics and massive persona . Yes, Coco Mademoiselle is an extremely popular girl but Coco Noir is an beautiful ,polished laidback woman . She doesn't require Victoria's Secret and prefers La Perla .

There are wisps of Coco Mademoiselle in Noir ( they are related ,after all ! ) and shades of the original Coco as well ( they are related ,after all ! *LOL* ) but Noir is an easy medium betweeen the two scents Coco Mademoiselle and original Coco .The touch of frankincense is lovely. The patchouli is not blindingly clean like Mademoiselle.

If Coco Mademoiselle and the original Coco are too bombastic for you- then give Coco Noir a try. It feels like silk and smells exotically but much more subtly Chanel-esque.

I am getting tired of all the 'Coco' names ...they should have just called this something else.

You know what - I think I will get a bottle at some point to replace Coco Mademoiselle. I can't wear the original Coco - it gives me a headache . So Noir is the easy choice.

Well done. 4 stars !

Chanel - please hurry up and bring out the pure perfume version of Coco Noir- I am sure it will be a bestseller .

Pros: Chanel-esque
    Cons: None"

06 September, 2013

HIGHEST BID
    New tester coco Noir by Chanel 3.4oz/100 ml Women's Eau de Parfum , No Box
    • Time Left: 4 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Chanel Coco Noir SAMPLE One (1x) 0.06 oz or 2 ml.
    (Shipping from United States)
    CHANEL "COCO NOIR" Eau De Parfum SPRAY Sample/Travel Perfume~NEWER RELEASE~.06oz
    • Time Left: 12 days