HiM (2012)

About HiM

HiM is a masculine fragrance by Hanae Mori. The scent was launched in 2012

HiM fragrance notes

Reviews of HiM

HiM has a lot going on in the opening with the citrus, cinnamon and sweet tonka. When I sampled this, that's what made me go buy a bottle, the opening. It really stood out as pleasant and unique among the other scents. The drydown is woody and amber-sweet but there are some other things happening that make it interesting. It's definitely a scent with many things to experience and smell throughout it's evolution.

Smells like a date night scent with the cardamom, tonka and amber, kinda warm and cuddly.

It projects really well and seems to last all workday.

13th January, 2018
A great woodsy/cinnamon male scent. Wife loves it. Should probably get the EDP (i have the EDT) as i wish it lasted longer.
01st December, 2017
Lacquerware lumber's
Glossy wood falling not far
From the H.M. tree.
14th November, 2017
Despite its uncanny resemblance to Gucci pour Homme II, HiM still fascinates me in its own way.

Remarkable fragrance composition, head to base. HiM, like Gucci II, is an enthralling journey into a forest of cedarwood and spices. Violet is evident, as is soft hints of the amber and musk.

Try the EdP version, for a deeper, creamier experience!
24th December, 2016
BLUF: A woodier, less-expensive rendition of Spicebomb. Can become cloying. *Review of the EdP.

Thumbs-down for me, partly because I amped myself up for a stronger cedar note after reading the reviews here. Lesson learned. Not totally upset with the purchase, only because it was less than $20 for a 50ml of the EdP formula, which has excellent longevity. The overly-sweet cinnamon/spice notes tower over and dominate the rest of it for me and that bummed me out. I used to do brightwork (varnish) on high-end sailboats, so I was looking forward to some Teak…but got none. Violet? If it's there, it's quite buried.

All hopes and dreams for this cheapie aside, objectively, to my nose it’s another sweet-spicy-(barely)woody scent. I don’t love the genera, but initially bought it because I wanted something from it to have, if and when the spirit compelled me, so this is an okay choice considering the price. Now however, I know it’s something I’ll never wear and has become swap material.

It also ruined Royal Oud for me. I tried this first and grew to strongly dislike it. Then I tried Royal Oud and to my nose, they share a similar “woody skeleton” if that makes any sense. They’re obviously totally different compositions…there’s nothing sicky-sweet about Royal Oud at all and it is just as refined as any Creed is, but I dunno, something about the way the woods are composed smells unfortunately similar to me. Based on my preferences, I should have really liked Royal Oud, but I can’t get over how much it reminds me of HiM. Oh well, it probably saved me money in the long run so…thanks I guess?

If this is a gourmand, it’s certainly not delicious.
04th March, 2016
Opff...naaaa, "once again?", it seems to exclaim my profane nose while "bothered" inhaling this boring piquant juice. This fragrance represents the Hanae Mori's turning "back" on a more cheap/commercial level. Hanae Mori Him is a sort of utterly mainstream piece of olfactive "mass appealing" mediocrity since its spicy-woody-sultry formula conjures (each of them for several of their characteristics) a bunch of really popular mass-market hyper synthetic (spicy-woody-sugary-leathery) fragrances, starting from the "cleaner" Gucci Pour Homme II (the resemblance is quite undeniable as earlier yet underlined around) before considering scents as Davidoff Hot Water, Bond I Love NY For All (more excessive and chocolatey), Creed Original Santal, Prada Luna Rossa or Trussardi Inside (also the far more interesting Acqua di Biella Ca' Luna, Armani Eau d'Aromes and Kiton Black jump partially on mind for several of their spicy/woody/floral facets). The juice is built on a pyramid expressing crisp watery-cedary citrus on top (dominant orange), a core of massive spices (mostly cinnamon and cardamom) and pungent floral notes as violet (may be neroli), overall rooted on a base of synth musky/tonkinian amber and woods. A boring formula, especially in its connection of violet, cinnamonic powdery/musky ambroxan and orange. The musky-cinnamonic-orangy general undertone is depressing and almost cloying (sultry in to an oppressing and almost fat/acid way despite a sharply floral/citric angular undertone waving in the air). Woodiness is quite "gassy" and artificial. Dry down smells finally like a sort of spicy/saccharin ambroxan-cedarwood dominant mélange with a pungent orange/violet spark. The final "trace" smells kind of "sweated", salty/spicy and acid (a la Paco Rananne Ultraviolet Man) on my skin. I get also a final sporty/salty gym-like vibe (vaguely a la Gaultier Le Beau Male). Honestly an almost senseless fragrance. Not for me.
17th December, 2015