Carbone / Carbone de Balmain (2010)
by Pierre Balmain

Carbone / Carbone de Balmain information

Year of Launch2010

HousePierre Balmain
PerfumerNathalie Lorson
Parent CompanySelective Beauty

About Carbone / Carbone de Balmain

Carbone / Carbone de Balmain is a masculine fragrance by Pierre Balmain. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Nathalie Lorson

Carbone / Carbone de Balmain fragrance notes

Reviews of Carbone / Carbone de Balmain

I'm not precisely in to such minimalistic "dimensions" a la Comme des Garcons (2 man jumps indeed on mind among others) or Andrea Maack (with its northern european lands minimalistic aesthetic), guys. Carbone de Balmain is surely affable (a surprise if you consider its name) and is a scent well executing its peculiar perfumed subject (a smooth cedary-dusty "pencil-shavings" accord) but in its complex this creation doesn't match completely my taste (supposedly just since I'm usually in to quite different kind of accords). Yes a straight-forward cedar-pencil shaving kind of olfactory ambience starting misty-peppery and seriously woody (aromatically woody, "on sweet mahogany-oriented" and dusty) and finally morphing down in to such a silky fruity-resinous comforting soapiness (still cedary but more than vaguely incensey, figgy and vanillic). Frankly I hardly catch a remarkable hint of leather (and floral notes as well) while the intensely woody "fig-implementation" seems not so distant from the stouter similar one I use to detect in Gaultier Kokorico (fig, mahogany, vetiver, cedarwood, balsams). Yes Gucci Pour Homme I (and Montana Graphite as well) is immediately under our noses (especially in the opening) but this Gucci's fragrance mantains a superior level of sharpness till the end while Carbone smells finally almost creamy-woody, figgy and spicy. There is actually a final kind of "yummy lacteous" incensey fruitiness neutralizing and enriching the cedary austerity. The final level of evolution is a sort of almost creamy woodiness, intense (probably violet leaves reinforce this intensity) and piquant. A nice scent for the lovers of this dusty-woody theme which is anyway (despite balsams, resins and spices) too markedly woody for my full pleasure.
13th August, 2015 (last edited: 15th August, 2015)
Cedarwood with an over sweet head accord that takes on a whiff of ivy as it dries down.

Ultra-dry woody minimalism does have a certain postmodernist appeal but in this case it's just boring.
01st June, 2015
An hyper-synth and kind of sticky woody-mysky-incensey thing that sits somewhere between a Gucci Pour Homme I wannabe and Dirty English. Only sweeter (which is often a con in my book especially when it comes to vanilla type of sweetness) and slightly lighter.

I would have probably liked this some years ago, but I've grown terribly bored of these post-Gucci rip-offs.

06th April, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
A floral opening, predominantly violet - on the sinister side - with a lovely ivy note - like standing near an ivy-covered wall - with a heavy sweetish aroma of an overripe fig. The drydown veers into the realm of incense and dark peppery spicy scents, with a tonka base. It sounds sweet and cloying but it isn't.

The concept is quite original; it is a rich, deep and dark experience with good sillage and projection and six hours of longevity in my skin. Wintery I'd say. 3.5/5
19th January, 2015
Wow!! What a wonderful fragrance Carbone de Balmain is. It is dark with incense and fig, perfect for the Fall and Winter. Also contains woody and spicy notes. I get a wiff now and then and it makes me and my nose very happy. This is already one of my favorite fragrances.
24th September, 2014
Another really nice cheapo wort having. Kind of ambery and musky at first, with a heart of cedar, pepper and vetiver(ol) and just a hint of floral dark gracefulness. The general vibe is "trendy" yet also meditative, shady and "pencil sharpener" as other users correctly say - that is the prominent heart of this scent. Some waxy feel too. The fig, I don't get that much honestly: but perhaps it is what causes the slight "lactonic", sweetish creamy note I detect underneath the general woodiness, which blends perfectly with it. Overall much synthetic and "modern", so absolutely safe and elegant for anyone, but also quite distinctive in a way as it's darker and more peculiar than other "safe mainstream scents". I can't say I don't like this, as I find it the perfect example of a solid, unpretentious but quality scent: it does smell good... really good actually (my guilty pleasure: I quite like that "pencil" feel), it feels classy and versatile, it costs pennies. Basically no evolution, bold projection and really good persistence. Encre Noire fans or of other contemporary/dark/synthetic woody scents - from Gucci pour Homme I on, basically - will love this. Separated at birth from Montana Graphite.

01st May, 2014 (last edited: 06th February, 2015)

Add your review of Carbone / Carbone de Balmain