Nuit de Bakélite (2017)

Year of Launch2017

HouseNaomi Goodsir
PerfumerIsabelle Doyen

About Nuit de Bakélite

Nuit de Bakélite is a shared / unisex perfume by Naomi Goodsir. The scent was launched in 2017 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Isabelle Doyen

Nuit de Bakélite fragrance notes

Reviews of Nuit de Bakélite

Very strong, a bit caustic perhaps? Too tenacious and loud for my tastes.

Like a rebooted Grey Flannel on kryptonite.
09th May, 2018
Next to Yatagan, this is one of the most truly vegetal scents I've put my nose on. All manner of green leaves, stems, roots, bulbs, and buds grow and thrive here in a profusion of herbal and slightly peppery undergrowth. Tuberose (thank heavens) is only an incidental player here, adding merely a tiny bit of florality to the intense and almost bitterly green nature of this fragrance. I am reminded of two other new scents, Dryad and Naja, and if you mixed the verdure of the first with the smokiness of the second you might come up with something close to the Goodsir. This is definitely not a clean green or a springtime green or perhaps even a green that any of us is familiar with. Instead, it is a noir-ish green that hides a tiny sting or snakebite--the scent that vaporized into the air when the serpent wound around that very first tree and flicked its tongue at the hapless, round-eyed couple.

Strange. Intriguing. Provoking.
06th October, 2017
Girl with a white dog by Lucian Freud
20th August, 2017 (last edited: 12th September, 2017)
Genre: Green Floral

Ostensibly a tuberose, though I doubt admirers of Fracas, Carnal Flower, or even Tubereuse Criminelle are going to know what to make of Nuit de Bakelite. This is one profoundly strange perfume. It opens on a harsh accord of galbanum, angelica (a bit like celery stem), and violet leaf, underpinned by something that smells to me like the musty funk of fenugreek, though no such thing is listed in the pyramid. This challenging green opening accord is softened only slightly as Nuit de Bakelite’s floral notes emerge. The tuberose, when it arrives, has been stripped of all its sweet, indolic character, and instead radiates a kind of venomous, narcotic aura. It is accompanied by a rooty iris and potent karo karounde, a note familiar from L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Timbuktu. Indeed, the karo karounde note is conspicuous enough to conjure Timbuktu for a moment, even though Nuit de Bakelite travels in a very different direction. The overall impression is powerfully bitter, green, and exotic, more incense-like to me than conventionally floral. In character the closest relative that comes to mind, besides the aforementioned Timbuktu, is Pierre Guillaume’s Papyrus de Ciane, which while quite distinctly softer grained, is similarly green and bitter in its general style. In its refusal to yield an ounce of sweetness, Nuit de Bakelite is also reminiscent of Frédéric Malle's French Lover/Bois d'Orage, though the two do not smell particularly alike.

Performance-wise, Nuit de Bakelite is fiendishly potent and tenacious. The drawer in which I kept my sample still smells of Nuit de Bakelite weeks after I’ve removed it. My 19 year-old daughter walked into the house while I was wearing a dabbed-on sample for evaluation, pulled an expression of disgust, such as only a teenager can, and demanded to know “What is that smell?” I asked what it was she was smelling, and she replied “Vegetables. Rotting vegetables.” Needless to say, not everybody is going to like Nuit de Bakelite. I’m not sure that I do. I’m going to have to lump it with Timbuktu and Bertrand Duchaufour’s Sienne l’Hiver among fragrances I can admire for their quality more than I can like. I give this a reluctant thumbs up, for unlike, say, Sécrétions Magnifiques, it’s weird, but it’s not disgusting.
20th August, 2017
Pleasant, classical, well-structured. I get spicy floral. I would not wear this to a night club (too refined) or a black tie event (too handsomely unisex, not handsomely masculine) but everywhere else and in between is a yes and I would expect people to react "there's a solid stable likable chap."
28th July, 2017

Add your review of Nuit de Bakélite

Shop for Nuit de Bakélite products online

Shop for Nuit de Bakélite at online perfumeries

Member images of Nuit de Bakélite

There are no member images of Nuit de Bakélite yet. Why not be the first?