Bois d'Ascèse (2012)

Bois d'Ascèse information

Year of Launch2012

HouseNaomi Goodsir

About Bois d'Ascèse

Bois d'Ascèse is a shared / unisex perfume by Naomi Goodsir. The scent was launched in 2012

Bois d'Ascèse fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois d'Ascèse

Just a stunning incense, especially in cold weather. I finished up my sample today, and this is at the top of the wishlist.
13th January, 2017
On me, Bois d'Ascèse starts off like one of those campfire-in-a-forest scents, smoky and sooty and strong. It ends up as frankincense with a hint of pine, and the whole day is spent in a long slow fade from the smoke to the incense. I don't really smell the whiskey or cinnamon - I guess they're just adding sweetness and depth if anything.

I pretty much always like perfumes like this, and Bois d'Ascèse is no exception. I'm not really sure if its intense realism takes away from its depth or if it's an artful statement in and of itself, but that's more of an intellectual argument I'm having with myself than an actual complaint, so it's a thumbs up all the way.
19th November, 2015
wonderful Smoky and burnt woods
03rd September, 2015
While I admire the daring of Bois d’Ascese, I find the crackling dry woodsmoke to be overwhelming. It drowns out the creamy, spiky elemi in thick billows of black soot, and makes it very difficult to perceive anything else that’s going on with the scent until the far drydown, when it becomes a 50-50 mix of great-quality frankincense and woodsmoke. Then I can enjoy its mysterious, austere smokiness on my scarf for days afterwards. But up until the dry down, I am choking through a fog of unremittingly bleak, black smoke.
01st July, 2015
finally, and at long long last, my holy grail smoke! yay!!! it's perfect: strident and unambiguously smokey, but with depth and complexity without ever deviating from that core, central aspect. it doesn't relay on birch tar or phenols to ramp up the smoke but what seems like a more organic wood-based accord (how that's put together here, i don't have a clue, perhaps styrax, opopanax, myrrh, actually i don't want to overthink this one). it doesn't develop appreciably but does soften into a gorgeous denoument of shimmery resins that mirrors the last coals of a fire gone out. did i mention it was just perfect?
07th January, 2015
Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese is at the pinnacle of all smokey fragrances I have tried to date and I'm a lover of the genre. Bois d'Ascese starts with loads of cade and possibly hints birch tar and/or nagamotha which creates a realistic rendition of a desert campfire billowing smoke into the crisp cool air. Oakmoss and Somali Frankincense provide a very nice smokey-green aesthetic in the middle/base of Bois d'Ascese which takes you away from the fire and inside some sort of protected shelter. Labdanum adds some blanketed warmth to the base of this fine fragrance. Definitely one of my favorite scents I've encountered so far on my fragrance journey. Although I thoroughly enjoy fragrances like Norma Kamali's Incense and Sonoma Scent Studio's Fireside Intense, I like this one a bit more - the shifts from top to base notes is nothing else out there in the dark incense and smokey genres. I cannot write gracefully enough to do this fragrance any justice; 10/10 for me.
15th August, 2014

Add your review of Bois d'Ascèse

Shop for Bois d'Ascèse products online

Search Amazon for Bois d'Ascèse

Member images of Bois d'Ascèse

There are no member images of Bois d'Ascèse yet. Why not be the first?