Café Rose (2012)

• Perfumer: Unknown - Let us know
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Café Rose Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Café Rose

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

One of the better rose based fragrances out there which smell very nice but it's very simple and kind of boring.
    At the opening I can smell a fresh and sweet rose scent with huge dose of white musk and smoky incense.
    The white musk give the rose a dirty animalic musky feeling which may be not for everybody but usually people are OK with the smell and they like it.
    As time goes by the musky scent settles down and I can smell a little stronger smoky incense beside that rose.
    It's simple and pleasant musky rose scent with noticeable amount of smokiness. that's it.
    Where is coffee in this fragrance? I don't know!
    Projection is awesome and longevity is around 8-10 hours on my skin.
    I like it.

30th January, 2014

jtd's avatar
    jtd

delta dawn

This is the Rose of the twisted Garden? Antoine Lie, l’enfant terrible, was the perfumer? Maybe I’ve gotten high on the fumes the smoldering rose chypres of the 70s-80s, but twisted or noir this ain’t.

Woody roses are easy in concept. There is a logical fit and a mutual enhancement. Because rose provides its own top, middle and base, the pairing with woods is logical. Patchouli, incense, sandlewood: Cafe Rose has them all. Amber, another expected match with rose, rounds out the mix.

Antoine Lie has visited this idea with colleague Antoine Maisondieu in Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection for Etat Libre d’Orange. Rossy plays with a dark rose and woods, also, but uses spice and chocolate as well as tones of metal, dust and blood. Unfortunately, Cafe Rose is best captured in what it is not. Not outstanding, not inspiring, not polarizing (not a good sign) and to my mind, given the competition in the niche market, not worth the price.

Cafe Rose isn’t a particularly ambitious perfume. The only sense of noir it conveys is, ‘Hey. It’s dark in here. Where’s the light switch?’ The concept isn’t new and the execution is uneventful. It conveys a feeling of the satisfaction of connecting the dots. The components are in place, the bits all connect; therefore the perfume is good. To its credit, the perfume doesn’t fall apart or become unbalanced. If you like the opening, you’ll likely enjoy the rest of the perfume. But the bar just seems to be set low, and the risk-averse Cafe Rose favors balance over richness, competence over inspiration.

from scent hurdle.com

24 June, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

The initial hint of light spice gives way to a pleasant, not bright but also not dark rose mores that are the backbone of this scent. A hint of patchouli guarantees a tough of brightness in the drydown that js dominated by wood, amber and a decent dose of coffee, at times with a drinking-chocolate-like undertone on my skin, giving it a whiff of gourmand. Overall though, this js not a heavy composition, well-blended, smooth and not overly sweet. Projection and silage are good, especially over the first couple of hours, and the overall longevity is a very good five hours at least. Not highly original but well done by Lauder.

31st March, 2013

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

There are lots of lovely rose notes here. They are really well done, attractive, realistic.
    The amber is at times a little bit candied and buttery, but overall the scent is not problematically sweet. When the amber settles down the lovely rose notes re-emerge, accompanied by a light oudh note. I don't get much (if any) coffee -- perhaps if I strain to the utmost I can imagine a faint cafe-au-lait.

22 January, 2013

CaliDude's avatar
    CaliDude

Smells exactly like Kilian's Rose Oud, but just a bit toned down. Very unoriginal. Why pay the big bucks for Cafe Rose, when you can get something better with Rose Oud.

Giving a neutral review instead of a negative one because it still smells nice, but just basically a replica of the Kilian fragrance.

I do not detect any coffee in this at all btw. Definitely try before buying.

25 November, 2012

IainCD's avatar
    IainCD

I'm very new to all this but I got a free sample of Cafe Rose along with another Tom Ford fragrance and I have to say that I really liked it. Because the only review here is a negative, I thought I would post a positive one. I really don't have the knowledge or vocabulary to give an accurate breakdown of the perfume but...my initial thoughts were of those chocolate rose creams you sometimes get at Christmas. I know people who hate those but I'm not one of them and so it was very nice to get the rose (obviously) as well as the dark chocolate and (I think) a smokiness to compliment it. The rose gets stronger as time goes on and then, later still, a sweetness begins to take over(perhaps vanilla) with a little berry fruits. It lasted a long time on me - a good ten hours anyway - and I did not tire of it.

I believe it is very similar to Tom Ford's 'Noir de Noir' so I look forward to trying that as well!

10th November, 2012