The Afternoon of a Faun (2012)
by Etat Libre d'Orange

The Afternoon of a Faun information

Year of Launch2012

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerRalf Schwieger
SupplierMane

About The Afternoon of a Faun

The Afternoon of a Faun is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ralf Schwieger

The Afternoon of a Faun fragrance notes

Reviews of The Afternoon of a Faun

This smells very strange. Like an old lady's perfume. Turns out I am not a fan of immortelle at all.

19th May, 2018
This a competent, independent (indie)-smelling perfume, somewhat reminding me of the 4160 Tuesdays style, which I like.

It smells great up close, like a garden, but also warm.
04th April, 2018
VERY strange fragrance from a company known for strange fragrances. Opens with a sharp citrus and green iris/bergamot. Some spices join in just a quarter-note off key, like the old man in church singing a half second behind everyone else off key. It's not quite horrible, and I bump it up from a thumbs down to a neutral b/c of its strange originality.
02nd October, 2017
The Afternoon of a Faun starts with a squeaking, citrusy, green, waxy, alkaline, almost bitter rose which later settles with the aid of immortelle into a more powdery flavor reminiscent of dried rose petals. Also this dusty structure makes the connection to pepper and oakmoss, more raspy structures with different frequencies. As oakmoss is green, so behaves the citrusy rose from the beginning and incense in the middle. On the next morning you discover the faun – warm skin and fur – at this point it reminds me of LesNez' Antimatier with a hint of beeswax.

All in all The Afternoon of a Faun consists of many more compositional details. But what impresses me most is its truly melancholic spirit full of wicked pain and lust. As the faun desires the nymphs, so was Vaslav Nijinsky obsessed to rewrite ballet and was the aging ballet impressario fascinated by the beauty of the dancer. It makes me think of an apartment on Place Vendôme in October, the incidence of sunlight into a room with shellac seatings and glass cabinets, coffee stains in porcelain cups and a bouquet of wilting roses.
19th September, 2016
An opening of pure discordance on my skin – greasy, sweaty, pungent immortelle which made me go ‘Oh no, hope it won’t carry on like this’ backed with cotton candy iris which made me think, ‘This isn’t really helping’. And then strange, earthy, mushroomy tones – goodness, what had this faun been imbibing?
But then it finally laid down upon the grass and things became a bit clearer. Its chypric identity came more clearly into view with the severity of mossy notes and dried-out greens proving a good fit with the immortelle – it has something of the loamy, forest floor feel of Oriza’s Chypre Mousse and much of its oddness as a result. With the immortelle finding its place in the mix, a rich butteriness rises up which puts an interesting gloss on what is essentially a half green-half brown scent which smells of natural organic things.
Eventually, though the chypric elements recede and we are left with hours of sun-baked immortelle permeated with a chokingly honeyed rosy odour. I can’t warm to this later stage at all and a full day’s worth I consider to be punishment.
11th March, 2016
I really like this fragrance, my favourite ELdO together with Rien. Immortelle seems to be at the centre here and subdued by floral and other notes. The notes seem almost fruity, but the sensation is likely due to iris and oakmoss, I suppose.

The fragrance's balance and end product is great! It is not 'fresh' in my opinion or 'green', but rather evokes autumn leaves and brownish/reddish colours in a soft aromatic way.

It does not change much of time, but that's fine with me. Perfectly unisex.
27th February, 2016

Add your review of The Afternoon of a Faun

Shop for The Afternoon of a Faun products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of The Afternoon of a Faun

There are no member images of The Afternoon of a Faun yet. Why not be the first?