The Afternoon of a Faun (2012)
by Etat Libre d'Orange

The Afternoon of a Faun information

Year of Launch2012

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerRalf Schwieger
SupplierMane

About The Afternoon of a Faun

The Afternoon of a Faun is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ralf Schwieger

The Afternoon of a Faun fragrance notes

Reviews of The Afternoon of a Faun

The Afternoon of a Faun starts with a squeaking, citrusy, green, waxy, alkaline, almost bitter rose which later settles with the aid of immortelle into a more powdery flavor reminiscent of dried rose petals. Also this dusty structure makes the connection to pepper and oakmoss, more raspy structures with different frequencies. As oakmoss is green, so behaves the citrusy rose from the beginning and incense in the middle. On the next morning you discover the faun – warm skin and fur – at this point it reminds me of LesNez' Antimatier with a hint of beeswax.

All in all The Afternoon of a Faun consists of many more compositional details. But what impresses me most is its truly melancholic spirit full of wicked pain and lust. As the faun desires the nymphs, so was Vaslav Nijinsky obsessed to rewrite ballet and was the aging ballet impressario fascinated by the beauty of the dancer. It makes me think of an apartment on Place Vendôme in October, the incidence of sunlight into a room with shellac seatings and glass cabinets, coffee stains in porcelain cups and a bouquet of wilting roses.
19th September, 2016
An opening of pure discordance on my skin – greasy, sweaty, pungent immortelle which made me go ‘Oh no, hope it won’t carry on like this’ backed with cotton candy iris which made me think, ‘This isn’t really helping’. And then strange, earthy, mushroomy tones – goodness, what had this faun been imbibing?
But then it finally laid down upon the grass and things became a bit clearer. Its chypric identity came more clearly into view with the severity of mossy notes and dried-out greens proving a good fit with the immortelle – it has something of the loamy, forest floor feel of Oriza’s Chypre Mousse and much of its oddness as a result. With the immortelle finding its place in the mix, a rich butteriness rises up which puts an interesting gloss on what is essentially a half green-half brown scent which smells of natural organic things.
Eventually, though the chypric elements recede and we are left with hours of sun-baked immortelle permeated with a chokingly honeyed rosy odour. I can’t warm to this later stage at all and a full day’s worth I consider to be punishment.
11th March, 2016
I really like this fragrance, my favourite ELdO together with Rien. Immortelle seems to be at the centre here and subdued by floral and other notes. The notes seem almost fruity, but the sensation is likely due to iris and oakmoss, I suppose.

The fragrance's balance and end product is great! It is not 'fresh' in my opinion or 'green', but rather evokes autumn leaves and brownish/reddish colours in a soft aromatic way.

It does not change much of time, but that's fine with me. Perfectly unisex.
27th February, 2016
Doesn't smell like any of the listed notes in my opinion! I just read the note pyramid they have here on Basenotes, and I honestly don't know what the hell they are talking about. Myrrh, leather, benzoin - I give up, because I don't smell any of that.

Afternoon of a Faun is NOT an oriental, powdery, spicy leather as the notes might suggest. Nope, this one muscles its way into the green chypre category with an overall vibe halfway between a drenched forest and a bowl full of crushed iris roots. It’s described as an aromatic, spicy scent on Fragrantica and as an incense-leather oriental here, but actually, it comes off as a scorched-earth chypre.

It shouldn’t work. But the contrast of wet, bitter green iris and the dry woods is all kinds of addictive.

I love the way it takes me on a ride every time I put it on. It reminds me somewhat of a vintage No. 19 pure parfum I had from the 1950’s which had turned badly – it shares something of that singed woods and burned coffee smell the parfum had. But in contrast, Afternoon of a Faun smells really good to me.

Right away, the strangeness of the immortelle note is apparent. It adds a sticky, savory syrup note, like sugared hay boiled down in whiskey. This has the effect of injecting the chilly green halls of No. 19 with streaks of autumnal warmth. So, for once, you have a damp, mossy chypre that smells….warm, human, sunny almost. It makes this an exceedingly comfortable wear without sacrificing an ounce of its stylish swagger, like a pair of fabulous, wide-cut slacks that are both comfortable and capable of making you look like Marlene Dietrich.

I love, love, love the textures at play in Afternoon of a Faun too. The opening is sort of damp and glazed, like the patina from old wood that you’ve just loving rubbed with oil. The immortelle adds a spicy, vegetal syrupy feel, and orris butter a creamy, rooty smell and texture. It is sweet, but also dry and slightly spicy, like good old wood.

In the dry down, the most amazing transformation in texture takes place – it sheds any sticky or wet feel it may have add, and becomes dry and smoky, like ash smoldering in the grate. At this stage, the immortelle smells like slightly burned coffee, which is a wonderfully dry, aromatic smell that I really enjoy.

In fact, I feel comfortable characterizing this as a dry, smoky iris perfume with a significant green/woody aspect to it. It smells like a real chypre too, even without oakmoss, so hats off to the folks at ELDO for proving that you can still produce a fantastic perfume that smells like the real deal rather than a sad sack imitation of what once was.
30th May, 2015
I never thought I'd make this comparison, but this is the most Chanel-like of all the ELDOs. It opens with an oily green note, mixed with iris and a prominent rose, not unlike Chanel No. 18. Instead of drying down to 18's wonderful ambrette-musk accord, Afternoon of a Faun goes for immortelle. It makes sense, given ELDOs love of immortelle, but it's not as exciting as its use in scents like Eau Noire or Sables.

Very "proper", perfume-y, and lovely, but not what I want in an EDLO fragrance, when other companies (again, like Chanel) are doing it better.
29th May, 2015
Smells like a generic nightmare. Can't believe the price being asked for to purchase this.
10th April, 2015

Add your review of The Afternoon of a Faun

Shop for The Afternoon of a Faun products online

Search Amazon for The Afternoon of a Faun

Member images of The Afternoon of a Faun

There are no member images of The Afternoon of a Faun yet. Why not be the first?