A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather (2012)
    by Thierry Mugler

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 56 ratings

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather Fragrance Notes

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather information

Launched to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Thierry Mugler Parfums, A*Men "Pure Leather" is one of four limited edition fragrances offered as a part of the Les Parfums de Cuir series. According to Thierry Mugler Parfums, the fragrance was created by aging the original A*Men fragrance in leather tanks at Clarin’s Strasbourg facility for four weeks, "sublimating the fragrance with the virile masculinity of rich leather." The fragrance is available as a 100 ml eau de toilette. The bottle itself is nearly identical to that of the original A*Men with only slight variations (the bottle has been texturized to resemble leather and the iconic blue star has been changed to a deep, dark red).

Shop for A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather products online

Reviews of A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather

Showing 1 to 6 of 22 reviews.
    positive 17 Positive Reviewsneutral5 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Shaheen's avatar

Of the four flankers, Pure Leather smells the closest to the original A*Men. A leather/suede note is added to the heart, (think new leather jacket) and the vanilla is amplified in the base. Doesn't have the same gourmand vibe as A*Men, Pure Coffee, or Pure Malt.

07 July, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

I have really really come to appreciate Thierry Mugler fragrances. When I first smelled angel men I literally could not understand the concept and hated it. Then I tried pure havane and pure malt, fell in love then revisited the line and find myself buying every flanker they come out with. Pure leather being no different.

Many seem to discount pure leather/cuir as simply angel men with more mint and leather added. I couldnt disagree more. Sure the mint is stronger, and while you definitely get an amen feel from it I dont think they smell that close. I think what people dont want to admit is that they are upset this flanker isnt in the realm of pure malt and pure havane. IMHO pure malt, pure havane and TOF all have a sweet fruity accord. I think pure leather would have done and would do better with a different name to distance itself from the expectations of having pure in its name.

Pure leather to me is much more earthy and woody in the drydown when compared to Angel men. Angel men to me is very much a mocha type smell where this is much less focused in the sweets department. And while it is true that the leather in pure cuir is not what I expect when thinking of leather (jacket, wallet etc) it however pleasant and different. And if I really think about it the way they went with it seems to make more sense than if what I actually expected had been instead.

I would say if you really want to appreciate pure leather and all the Mugler line that isnt pure havane and pure malt then you have to stop using them as the measurement of which to judge all mulger releases. If you look at each release as its own thing and stop going into it with preconceived notions of what you think it should be then you should find that they are still making some of the most interesting and best designer fragrances currently being made.

23 June, 2014

Nosey49's avatar

Just blind bought this. if you're looking for leather, don't go here. What you have instead is a toned-down A Men without the tar note and with a touch of mint. I think it's a fantastic fragrance and better than the three A Men and flankers I've owned: Pure Malt, Pure Havane, and the original A Men.

18 February, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Well, this is indeed A*Men without the tar note, however the leather I'm not feeling at all. The DNA of the original A*Men is too strong here. With B*Men, for instance, the DNA was there but B*Men had a character of its own, LPdC barely manages to radiate somewhat differently than the original. LPdC is tad bit more refined, that much I'll give it credit. The first day I sprayed it on, I thought I just wasted my money. The 2nd day, I was almost relieved, but I still need some convincing, that is I need to wear it more. Coffee note is more prominent here whilst chocolate is more prominent in the original. What "saves the entire story is that on the outside LPdC emmits in tad bit different way, however not fundamentally different. I still don't get and "get" that leather note in it. I was really expecting something truly formidable like B*Men which I really like, or maybe even love, or Pure Havane (Pure Malt I never tried unfortunately). I see it gets a lot of positive ratings here, however I'm not completely impressed, albeit I have to admit I do like the fact that I have it in my collection. This one is, in fact, made for those who truly love and adore this brand and I have to respect that fact.

I'll rate this positive for a very, very, very thin margin.

17 January, 2014

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

A darker A*Men

OK, you don't like A*Men because the chocolate - spicy combo is too much for you.

Looking for an alternative? You might think B*Men might be one: A*Men divested of its gourmand notes because of the rhubarb or a kind of musk that was quite in fashion during the 1970's - there is a cheap cologne sold by Avon called Woody Musk that smells exactly like a bad quality B*Men.

What about this flanker? Well, I don´t get leather at all. What do I mean by leather? The smell of leather wallet, a brand new purse, a leather jacket or that of a dry waxed English country jacket that has been treated with some sort of deodorizer smelling like a leather jacket (and with such a sillage that the smell would be felt in the room after the jacket has been taken out), or the smell of classic leather scents like Cuero de Rusia - any brand, they share similarities-, Morabito's Or Noir or Knize Ten.

What I get is a bolder B*Men: yes, there is some chocolate and coffe and the rest of the notes of the original one, but in this case I get the feeling that these are kidnapped by the before mentioned rhubarb / musk in such a way the blend has the strength of a perfume or an absolute revolving around this last one, its longevity and sillage are really strong.

It does feel synthetic: however, to my surprise, in this case the word does not have any derogatory meaning. Why? It feels "sticky", rather than an EdT, Perfume or Extrait or Absolute, it feels like a a bunch of molecule clinching to my skin for a whole day long.

I my case, it was a try and instant - buy experience. I don't regret it. IMHO, it is better than the original. Of course, as the former one, it needs to be applied with care.

Pros: No sweetness
    Cons: Bombastic"

11th August, 2013

simg24's avatar

Good

I was really surprised by this one. Reading all the reviews, one can easily be led to conclude that it's A men original toned down with a leather note. My experience has been different as i can't detect any major similarities with A men here. From the bottle you smell the usual caramel note which is the skeleton of the A men line but once on the skin (mine at least) this turns into a peppermint like, barely leather, frag. The peppermint accord is not sharp past a couple seconds and it becomes well blended in with the styrax and tonka to create a smoother scent. Where A men is the bitter top and sweet caramel gourmand drydown, pure leather is the peppermint sharp top into gentle tonka drydown - perhaps a faint coffee note there cutting the sharpness of the peppermint?

I'm sure if i wasn't aware of the origins of this scent i would take it for an animal of its own.

Longevity about 4 hrs

sillage - below average. projects fairly well for the first hour then mostly on the skin thereafter

In all, this isn't anything earth shattering or thrilling especially as it lays in the shadows of its estranged A men brother. However it does enough as a scent on its own to be considered for a purchase. The comparisons to A men seem strange to me so put it this way; if you can consider pure malt or havane or any other in the line similar then this would be least similar as far as i am concerned.

30th July, 2013