A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather (2012)
by Thierry Mugler

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather information

Year of Launch2012
AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather

Launched to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Thierry Mugler Parfums, A*Men "Pure Leather" is one of four limited edition fragrances offered as a part of the Les Parfums de Cuir series. According to Thierry Mugler Parfums, the fragrance was created by aging the original A*Men fragrance in leather tanks at Clarin’s Strasbourg facility for four weeks, "sublimating the fragrance with the virile masculinity of rich leather." The fragrance is available as a 100 ml eau de toilette. The bottle itself is nearly identical to that of the original A*Men with only slight variations (the bottle has been texturized to resemble leather and the iconic blue star has been changed to a deep, dark red).

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather fragrance notes

Reviews of A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather

If you are a fan of the original (which I was... but no longer) then this is right up your alley. I find this to be just a slight detour from the original from start to finish. I give it a thumbs up due to the quality of the leather that does offset the off putting tarish quality of AMen to my nose. I got this for a surprising price so I find this to be a winner. Too bad it is no longer fall/winter here in the US or I would rock this today. Try before you buy (You may find this a redundant buy if you already have original AMen). Otherwise.... Enjoy!
20th April, 2017
I am sort of an A*Men fan boy, I own most of the line. I love the bottles, the fragrance structure, and the original A*Men DNA (an already brilliant scent) in most of their stuff.

Pure Leather is without doubt the closest to the original A*Men. The leather note isn't as nice as it could be, but it blends well. Despite what others may say they smell, I do happen to get a lot of leather out of this.

This is the original A*men, without the tar note, without the heavy chocolate fudge, and with an added hefty dose of leather. Now whether you like this type of leather or not is your choice.. I find it a bit sharp and "rough around the edges". I would love to see this re-released with a better leather note, like if it had the leather from John Varvatos.. it would be to die for!

Still a solid choice from the line.
07th January, 2017
Just can't get enough of it. A*Men DNA is present, sweet, spicy. Very long longevity, great performance. LOVE ITs so much!!! The price was a steal, will order two more bottles. Totally underrated fragrance.
18th November, 2016
APL is probably more interesting in the perfumer’s head than when set upon paper or skin. Take the Amen base of coffee, cocoa, and patchouli and tack on the driest and most austere leather/birch tar accord and magic will happen! Unfortunately, the Amen base is pretty dry by itself and then the leather is dropped in. It leaves you gasping for air and begs for some sort of balance – maybe more sweetness or citrus or something. Clearly, something is missing. Maybe some Oud would say this! That said, it’s certainly an interesting disaster and I can’t bring myself to rate it negatively so that leaves me indifferent.

4.5/10
22nd August, 2016
Just too much tar/plastic/rubber for me to like this one. I agree with others in that this is very close to original Amen, but it wasn't the rich leather note I expected to blend with the original scent. Instead, it was a plastic, rubber smell for most of the day.
05th April, 2016
Well, this is an interesting fragrance with an interestingly polarizing reception among fragrance aficionados. My opinion on this is that it’s very nice. Nice and fascinating, and quite unique too, in its own subtle way. Does it smell like A*Men? Yes, it does, it’s 90% identical - it’s a flanker, after all. But still, it has some key features that makes it not redundant if you like or already own classic A*Men. First of all, it smells as a washed, lighter version of it; less challenging to pull off, more dry, kind of darker, surely more simple. A “thinned out” A*Men, so to speak – and that’s nice for me, since A*Men can get sometimes tough and overwhelming to wear. Second, contrary to other reviewers, I do get very clearly the leather facet here, and I really like it. I expected something different, a duller and more mainstream leather accord glued to A*Men like a drugstore patch, while I think that leather here is processed in a very creative and quite classy way.

More than a specific note, in fact, it actually really feels like if they gave A*Men a “polished leather look”, an overall “leather treatment” infusing it with a subtle, yet robust smell of new, tar-like, oddly sweetish polished leather. Obviously the “leather infusion” mentioned on the box is marketing nonsense (and knowing Mugler’s aesthetics, chances are it’s subtly ironic), but still I admit that that’s the effect: I think this does really smell like A*Men drenched in leather. And again, I must stress that for me the leather feel here is quite realistic, unusual and surprisingly well put together. Synthetic, sure, but that’s the smell of most of todays’ leather goods treated with chemical agents. And I guess that many people don’t get the leather facet because they’re looking for some more common, standard leather note, while here leather is kind of “all over” – it’s the ambiance, the frame itself, so you’ve to, say, “zoom out” and look at the entirety of the scent to get it. That’s my reading of this scent. Besides the all-over leather effect, the rest is quite A*Men with no particular variations except for a fresher and thinner look – if you aren’t familiar with that masterpiece, then imagine a bizarre musky-minty-soapy gourmand bomb with lavender, resins, tonka, fresh edges and a dark patchouli-cocoa base. Imagine that, sprayed on a new pair of leather sneakers.

The more I wear this clever pastiche, the more I like it, and I think the subtle yet very competent and creative leather variation is remarkable, and I’m afraid quite underrated (or even more sadly, just snobbed because “it’s Mugler”). If you see it with an “out of the box” approach, and take it as the crazy gourmand oddball drenched in subtle leather that it is, then it’s more valuable and creative than the majority of “avantgarde” niche leathers. It has some cheap facets, but they’re fun – and so is this scent, nothing particularly refined and probably not that versatile too, but fun, nice and unusual. Totally remarkable for the price.

7,5/10
20th November, 2015

Add your review of A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather

Shop for A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather products online

Search Amazon for A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather

Member images of A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather

There are no member images of A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather yet. Why not be the first?

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather News