Volutes (2012)

Based on 40 ratings

Volutes information

Volutes is a unisex fragrance by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Volutes

Showing 1 to 6 of 12 reviews.

Manscents2's avatar

Well, Iím afraid here is where I must part ways with many of my fellow reviewers. I decided to try this (my sample was the EDT version) because I love fragrances with a heavy tobacco accord, and Volutes by Diptyque had received such high accolades from various sites. This is one of those rare instances where about 3-4 hours in I couldnít stand it anymore and had to go wash (no, SCRUB) it off. And even then, it lingered as a strong skin scent with a little projection, and actually was decently pleasant at that point (but still girly).

First, it was incredibly strong out of the bottle, and to my nose was overwhelmingly sweet (intense honey, and not a good honey like it was just whipped up by a bee but a funky honey) supported on a super-sweet floral smell (that I presume was the iris, though it didnít smell like any iris Iíve ever smelled). Having had some experience with not liking something straightaway then later loving it, I decided to be patient. Eventually there was a hint (a MILD hint) of saffron; I never got hay or immortelle. Then there was the honey, again, and a kind of sweet resinous scent (presumably the myrrh). Iím envious of those who get a strong delicious tobacco out of this, because it just does not show up on my skin to my nose.

I have to admit Iím fairly new to all this and have no idea what some of the notes should smell like (pink pepper? Styrax? Opoponax?) outside of simply reading about the scents. Regardless, at the end of the day, if it doesnít smell good on my skin, what they are supposed to smell like is irrelevant to me.

On my skin, this is way too perfumey, cloying and very feminine, with an intensely strong honey scent, and only am I occasionally mercifully blessed with a whiff of tobacco, only to be consumed again by honey. This did not present well on my skin top, middle or base, and is definitely not for me. But, I think itís probably a quality fragrance for the right person, and thus my neutral rating rather than a thumbs down.

This has major sillage with strong projection, and while I washed it off after several hours I suspect this probably lasts a long time. Now about 2 hours after washing it off, I can still smell it on my wrist held about 6Ē from my nose. Iím guessing getting 8+ hours out of this would not be unthinkable. I went and sniffed my car and can still smell it in there, and itís been several hours since I was in it.

I definitely would not consider this unisex or masculine; on me, itís very feminine all the way. One friend asked me why I was wearing a womanís perfume, and a stranger I encountered in a store (right before I rushed home to wash it off) gave me a look and I laughed and said ďyeah, the cologne, right?Ē He said if his girlfriend was wearing this, heíd ask her to not do that again, and I asked him if he thought this was masculine enough to be unisex and he said definitely not. I concur with this stranger.

I can see how this would work really well for some people (women), and think it would probably be quite lovely on a woman out for an evening. I definitely would not want to be up close and intimate with a man and smell this coming off his neck or chest! Another reminder to self to always try before I buy!

As always, your results may vary!

28th December, 2014

KillerScent's avatar

Diptyque at its best.
    For the EDT.
    This is a delicious combination of iris, honey, hay and tobacco, so well mixed that it's not cloying nor too sweet. On the contrary, Volutes is an elegant gourmandish scent, totally unisex. The egyptian tobacco note is one of the best tobacco notes I've ever smelled, deep and realistic.
    Longevity is really good being an edt, I get +8 hours.
    A total winner and a great Winter scent.
    9.5/10

28th October, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Whatever happened to the Diptyque that gave us Virgilio, Eau Lente, and LíAutre? (The last too weird even for me.) The more recent offerings, like 34 Boulevard St. Germain, Eau de Lavande, and Geraniun Odorata, have been either pastiches (the former,) or polite, competently put-together, but exceptionally ďsafeĒ compositions (the latter two) that have none of the bold originality of the firmís earlier work. Volutes is another in this pleasant, mild-mannered, but uncharismatic mold.

The scent opens on a gentle honeyed iris and saffron accord, soon underpinned by some vanillic amber and opopanax. If I inhale deeply, I can just perceive some very demure tobacco hiding behind the sweet resins and iris. The entire composition feels bland, characterless, and yet naggingly familiar. After long wear, I recognize Volutes as a sort of very watered down, pallid reflection of NicolaÔís iconic New York, prettified with iris, and with all of the spices that lend New York its texture turned down to the setting that reads ďinnocuous.Ē Innocuous indeed, but thatís not enough to make me want to wear it.

03rd October, 2014 (Last Edited: 06th October, 2014)

Tony T's avatar

Based on the pyramid I expected more..Myrrh-pepper-saffron just to name a few that are undetectable.. I just sprayed it 5 times an hour or so ago and get only slight hints of iris and tobacco.. I thought this would be a standout from Diptyque but I was wrong.. Luckily I got is as a free sample and did not spend cash on this.. Now I must try my sample of Tam Dao..

17th January, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

An altogether too humble offering from Diptyque, Volutes seems at first an essay in dryness as an iris and sawdust accord with mild leather accents faintly prickles the nose, later beginning to breathe a bit with a touch of sweet sweat (honey, immortelle and suggestions of resins and spices). All this discreet, powdery, dry sweetness is heading in one direction: a mild and comforting tobacco. While there is nothing in the composition I dislike, I canít get past how underpowered it all is; the feel is of wearing a scented body lotion rather than a perfume.
    Review is for EDT.

14th November, 2013

drmike's avatar

very interesting not pretty though but i think its pure wood (EDP)

OK , trying not to read other reviews. i've just sprayed the EDP on my write. There is an instant blast of something sweet a bit honey like almost the smell you get from a wood factory mixed with something very aromatic. then pooof! its gone. What i get now is cedar wood !! there is a touch a some sort of synthetic leather maybe but the wood is at the fore. AS it wears off its goes sweeter and then you do pick up the tobacco and i think a little white birch ! bit its peculiar to wear. it is honestly pretty similar to a wood suppliers or something to that and if that's what you want to smell like then this must be it.

I don't wear this out. I don't think others would really this smell and it does not project well , scent stays close to the skin. but wierdly i have to admit i spray this on a lot a home because I like the aroma in the house. Maybe this is why Diptyque seem to be getting more of a name for their room sprays.

so there you go honey wood wood wood a bit of leather and tobacco ! but is not a classic personal fragrance in my opinion its not exiting just interesting to smell.

Pros: masculine, very autumn, woody
    Cons: a bit boring, not not pretty , "

12th September, 2013

STARTING BID
    Diptyque 2ml spray fragrance samples, You Choose, New And Boxed, Free Shipping
    • Time Left: 25 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Diptyque L'ombre Dans L'eau and Volutes Eau de Toilette Samples .06fl.oz/2ml. ea
    • Time Left: 18 days
    Volutes by Diptyque For Women 2.5 oz Eau de Parfum Spray Tester with Cap New
    • Time Left: 17 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Diptyque "Volutes" Women's Eau De Toilette Fragrance. 3.4 fl oz.
    • Time Left: 10 days