Volutes (2012)

HouseDiptyque
PerfumerFabrice Pellegrin
Parent CompanyManzanita

About Volutes

Volutes is a shared / unisex perfume by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Fabrice Pellegrin

Reviews of Volutes

This entire fragrance worked really well on my skin. I'm not a gourmand lover, but on me the sweetness turned to richness, the wonderful opopanax and iris powders to warmth, the spice and subtle tobacco, to depth and earth. It was strong on start-up, but smelled delicious. The florals didn't really stand out - they were fairly submerged in the spices and honey notes, which made Volutes all the better for me as I love a good submerged floral. That was common in classic chypres. Around midnote it started getting lighter and turned smooth and creamy. The spices seemed to meld into this creaminess, so it became soft and spicy. The dry down, my favorite part, lingered a long time. I woke up the next morning smelling a beautiful powdered light spiciness on my skin. Some fragrances, unaccountably, just don't hang together and work on our skin. Some, unaccountably, do. Volutes became even more than its promise on me.
15th April, 2015 (last edited: 28th April, 2015)
Well, I’m afraid here is where I must part ways with many of my fellow reviewers. I decided to try this (my sample was the EDT version) because I love fragrances with a heavy tobacco accord, and Volutes by Diptyque had received such high accolades from various sites. This is one of those rare instances where about 3-4 hours in I couldn’t stand it anymore and had to go wash (no, SCRUB) it off. And even then, it lingered as a strong skin scent with a little projection, and actually was decently pleasant at that point (but still girly).

First, it was incredibly strong out of the bottle, and to my nose was overwhelmingly sweet (intense honey, and not a good honey like it was just whipped up by a bee but a funky honey) supported on a super-sweet floral smell (that I presume was the iris, though it didn’t smell like any iris I’ve ever smelled). Having had some experience with not liking something straightaway then later loving it, I decided to be patient. Eventually there was a hint (a MILD hint) of saffron; I never got hay or immortelle. Then there was the honey, again, and a kind of sweet resinous scent (presumably the myrrh). I’m envious of those who get a strong delicious tobacco out of this, because it just does not show up on my skin to my nose.

I have to admit I’m fairly new to all this and have no idea what some of the notes should smell like (pink pepper? Styrax? Opoponax?) outside of simply reading about the scents. Regardless, at the end of the day, if it doesn’t smell good on my skin, what they are supposed to smell like is irrelevant to me.

On my skin, this is way too perfumey, cloying and very feminine, with an intensely strong honey scent, and only am I occasionally mercifully blessed with a whiff of tobacco, only to be consumed again by honey. This did not present well on my skin top, middle or base, and is definitely not for me. But, I think it’s probably a quality fragrance for the right person, and thus my neutral rating rather than a thumbs down.

This has major sillage with strong projection, and while I washed it off after several hours I suspect this probably lasts a long time. Now about 2 hours after washing it off, I can still smell it on my wrist held about 6” from my nose. I’m guessing getting 8+ hours out of this would not be unthinkable. I went and sniffed my car and can still smell it in there, and it’s been several hours since I was in it.

I definitely would not consider this unisex or masculine; on me, it’s very feminine all the way. One friend asked me why I was wearing a woman’s perfume, and a stranger I encountered in a store (right before I rushed home to wash it off) gave me a look and I laughed and said “yeah, the cologne, right?” He said if his girlfriend was wearing this, he’d ask her to not do that again, and I asked him if he thought this was masculine enough to be unisex and he said definitely not. I concur with this stranger.

I can see how this would work really well for some people (women), and think it would probably be quite lovely on a woman out for an evening. I definitely would not want to be up close and intimate with a man and smell this coming off his neck or chest! Another reminder to self to always try before I buy!

As always, your results may vary!
28th December, 2014
Diptyque at its best.
For the EDT.
This is a delicious combination of iris, honey, hay and tobacco, so well mixed that it's not cloying nor too sweet. On the contrary, Volutes is an elegant gourmandish scent, totally unisex. The egyptian tobacco note is one of the best tobacco notes I've ever smelled, deep and realistic.
Longevity is really good being an edt, I get +8 hours.
A total winner and a great Winter scent.
9.5/10
28th October, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Whatever happened to the Diptyque that gave us Virgilio, Eau Lente, and L’Autre? (The last too weird even for me.) The more recent offerings, like 34 Boulevard St. Germain, Eau de Lavande, and Geraniun Odorata, have been either pastiches (the former,) or polite, competently put-together, but exceptionally “safe” compositions (the latter two) that have none of the bold originality of the firm’s earlier work. Volutes is another in this pleasant, mild-mannered, but uncharismatic mold.

The scent opens on a gentle honeyed iris and saffron accord, soon underpinned by some vanillic amber and opopanax. If I inhale deeply, I can just perceive some very demure tobacco hiding behind the sweet resins and iris. The entire composition feels bland, characterless, and yet naggingly familiar. After long wear, I recognize Volutes as a sort of very watered down, pallid reflection of Nicolaï’s iconic New York, prettified with iris, and with all of the spices that lend New York its texture turned down to the setting that reads “innocuous.” Innocuous indeed, but that’s not enough to make me want to wear it.
03rd October, 2014 (last edited: 06th October, 2014)
Tony T Show all reviews
Based on the pyramid I expected more..Myrrh-pepper-saffron just to name a few that are undetectable.. I just sprayed it 5 times an hour or so ago and get only slight hints of iris and tobacco.. I thought this would be a standout from Diptyque but I was wrong.. Luckily I got is as a free sample and did not spend cash on this.. Now I must try my sample of Tam Dao..
17th January, 2014
An altogether too humble offering from Diptyque, Volutes seems at first an essay in dryness as an iris and sawdust accord with mild leather accents faintly prickles the nose, later beginning to breathe a bit with a touch of sweet sweat (honey, immortelle and suggestions of resins and spices). All this discreet, powdery, dry sweetness is heading in one direction: a mild and comforting tobacco. While there is nothing in the composition I dislike, I can’t get past how underpowered it all is; the feel is of wearing a scented body lotion rather than a perfume.
Review is for EDT.
14th November, 2013

Add your review of Volutes

Shop for Volutes products online

Search Amazon for Volutes

Member images of Volutes

There are no member images of Volutes yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Volutes