Volutes Eau de Toilette (2012)
by Diptyque

Volutes Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch2012

HouseDiptyque
PerfumerFabrice Pellegrin
Parent CompanyManzanita

About Volutes Eau de Toilette

Volutes Eau de Toilette is a shared / unisex perfume by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Fabrice Pellegrin

Volutes Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of Volutes Eau de Toilette

This is a relatively pretty fragrance, just a little too powdery for my taste. Floral, incense, tobacco with strong honey and powder influences. Something in it has a synthetic quality.
Sillage is soft (skin scent). Longevity is moderate at about 4-5 hours (moderate considering it's a toilette concentration).
Overall, a pretty fragrance good for Fall or Winter. Warm and inviting if you like a powdery, honeyed, incense.
24th November, 2017
I can't identify the notes listed, and that's why I find it great. I smell only a powdery and smoky amber, slightly masculine but well wearable for a woman. Longevity is very good, sillage is good.
18th October, 2017
Note: Review is of the EdT

Volutes EdT is an easy to wear spicy oriental featuring a central accord of pipe tobacco drizzled with honey over a resinous foundation. The good thing about Volutes is that the blend is coherent, and it has a very restrained sweetness. Volutes also features a dry, powdery iris that renders it similar to Dior Homme in some aspects. It lacks the sweetness and makeup aspects of Dior Homme Intense, and the leathery nuances of Dior Homme EdT. It also reminds me of Versace's Dreamer, minus the incoherent and slightly strange opening, and of other tobacco fragrances like Tobacco Vanille and Chergui. However, Volutes is temperamentally most similar to Dior Homme EdT among these, given its versatility and accommodating nature - in that it never wears the wearer and is always an accessory.

Volutes wears close to skin, forming a thin puffy cloud of spiced, fruity tobacco amid wisps of light smoke. It is a pleasant enough perfume when the mercury starts to fall, though it is not striking or startling. Though I prefer wrapping myself up in Chergui at such times, Volutes is a solid recommendation - especially if one is looking for something modern, subtle and elegant.

A note on the EdP: This one smells very similar to the EdT with the tobacco a little subdued, lasts just as long but has even less sillage and projection. The EdT is clearly the more attractive choice between the two, at least for me.

2.5/5
02nd October, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is a honeyed iris impression combines with a restrained tobacco undertone. It is not overly sweet, and the tobacco is a bit bland.

The drydown adds a gently spicy pepper, at times accentuated by whiffs of a herbal impression.

The honeyed overlay is still present in the drydown; as a matter of fact is never goes away, lingering on until the end.

The main addition in the base are touches of styrax and benzoin with the occasional hint of opoponax. This is all, of course, bathed in the honey aroma.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a splendid twelve hours of longevity on my skin.

Whilst this autumnal creation is neither particularly original nor a very complex creation, it is quite well executed and the honeyed tobacco - with the honey overwhelmingly in the foreground - is not unpleasant. At the border between neutral and thumbs-up, pushed, albeit just by the skin of its teeth, into the positive range by the good performance. 3/5.
08th September, 2017
EDT version:

My first experience with Volutes wasn't necessarily a good one. The strong hay note combined with the sweet honey note hit my nose pretty hard. It wasn't what I expected, but the scent soon mellowed out and settled in.

I always figure it takes a few wearings before I can give a fair evaluation of a scent so I tried it again. Volutes does have a strong hay note in the opening that can take some getting used to but once it settles down it lends a very nice side to Volutes and tones down the sweetness a little. The sweetness of the honeyed tobacco really come to the forefront after about 30 minutes and remains there throughout the duration of the mid notes and drydown. Volutes softens down to a skin scent after a while, but you can easily catch moderate to strong wafts of it from time to time. I like "skin scents" that occasionally project stronger so you don't feel like you have to constantly shove your nose to your arm just to catch a whiff.

The longevity isn't monstrous with this one, but seems to be pretty respectable. I get around 6-8 hours on average with it. You may get better longevity as most fragrances don't perform much better than 8 hours on my skin.

I don't think that Volutes will ever find a spot in my top 5, but it is a nice scent that worth checking out.
14th July, 2017
When I went to Italy to work as a teaching assistant on my gap year, I discovered just how far I could stretch a Lira. The only white wine of drinkable quality I could find within my measly budget was Orvieto Classico, which was roughly the equivalent of €2 back then. Thin, slightly metallic, but oddly quaffable, I found I could live with it.

Now, even though I am no longer a poor student, I wouldn’t be without it. My brother, who is an insufferable wine snob, loves to pick up a bottle of Orvieto Classico from my fridge, run his finger down it with disdain, and mutter, “Jesus, I can’t believe you’re still drinking this shite.”

It’s NOT shite. I am fiercely fond of it.

It’s not a memorable wine, true. But drinking Orvieto Classico is comforting in its familiarity. Pleasant background noise for when you don’t want anything too taxing. Like putting your car into cruise control on a long stretch of straight road.

Like Orvieto Classico, Volutes EDT by Diptyque is not particularly memorable or brilliant, but it sure goes down easy. Like a handful of other perfumes that I don’t think of as masterpieces but still find utterly, almost mind-numbingly pleasant and therefore very wearable – Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Bois d’Armenie, and more recently, Feve Delicieuse, for example – I manage to race through massive quantities of it. It was after my bath a few nights ago that I reached for my bottle of Volutes EDT and realized there was only about 5mls left in the bottle. I had drained 45mls of it in less than six weeks.

Laugh all you like – but in perfumista terms, that practically puts Volutes in the same category as a functional grooming product like a body spray or a liquid hand soap. How did it come to this?

Well, Volutes is mindlessly pretty. It requires absolutely no intellectual input on my part. With a wardrobe stuffed with challenging, amazing, difficult, tempestuous perfumes, Volutes stands out not because it “stands out” but rather because it doesn’t. It’s the battered leather jacket in your wardrobe that you just can’t bear to part with, and reach for over your fancier coats even though it’s falling to pieces. Love isn’t rational. It may not even be love – it may be simply a reflex.

I was thoroughly unimpressed the first time I tried Volutes – a pale, powdered honey and iris thing with a lingering whiff of blond cigarette rolling tobacco. I got nothing of the promised drama of the published notes, such as saffron, hay, and immortelle – hell, it wasn’t even smoky. I always go into a perfume named for or inspired by smoking with an expectation of, you know, smoke. But when I stopped looking for the sturm und drang in Volutes, I found myself appreciating it for its blurred prettiness.

Now when I wear Volutes, I pick up more notes: a cool, starchy iris, warm honey, blond tobacco, a hint of rubbery leather from the saffron (only at the start), and some nebulous resins in the base. These notes all smell quite blurred and perfumey to me, in the same way that baby powder smells like rose, chamomile, and heliotrope all swirled together but never distinctly of themselves.

Volutes sits on the skin like a creamy balm at first, but as time goes on, dries to a texture like fine, powdered sugar. This is not a sweet scent, however. The iris exerts its influence here from top to bottom, reflected in that cold, vegetal starchiness. The tobacco, although not smoky, adds body to the iris and makes it slightly more “of this earth” than irises tend to be.

It is not exotic, but it is even-tempered. I wear buckets of it, carelessly sprayed around my person until it drips, like honey, from the tips of my fingers. I let it run in rivers down to my belly button. No matter how much I spray, Volutes remains this utterly pleasant, low key piece of background music to my day. It’s a fragrance on cruise control.

And you know what, I wear Volutes far more than I do my more artistically-accomplished perfumes. Maybe it’s true what my brother says and I am just a total Pleb. But sometimes, like with Orvieto Classico, you just have to go with what’s familiar and cozy because sometimes it would just kill you not to.
01st October, 2015

Add your review of Volutes Eau de Toilette

Shop for Volutes Eau de Toilette products online

Search Amazon for Volutes Eau de Toilette

Member images of Volutes Eau de Toilette

There are no member images of Volutes Eau de Toilette yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Volutes Eau de Toilette