Volutes (2012)

Based on 40 ratings

Volutes information

Volutes is a unisex fragrance by Diptyque. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Volutes

Showing 1 to 6 of 10 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Whatever happened to the Diptyque that gave us Virgilio, Eau Lente, and L’Autre? (The last too weird even for me.) The more recent offerings, like 34 Boulevard St. Germain, Eau de Lavande, and Geraniun Odorata, have been either pastiches (the former,) or polite, competently put-together, but exceptionally “safe” compositions (the latter two) that have none of the bold originality of the firm’s earlier work. Volutes is another in this pleasant, mild-mannered, but uncharismatic mold.

The scent opens on a gentle honeyed iris and saffron accord, soon underpinned by some vanillic amber and opopanax. If I inhale deeply, I can just perceive some very demure tobacco hiding behind the sweet resins and iris. The entire composition feels bland, characterless, and yet naggingly familiar. After long wear, I recognize Volutes as a sort of very watered down, pallid reflection of Nicolaï’s iconic New York, prettified with iris, and with all of the spices that lend New York its texture turned down to the setting that reads “innocuous.” Innocuous indeed, but that’s not enough to make me want to wear it.

03 October, 2014 (Last Edited: 06 October, 2014)

Tony T's avatar

Based on the pyramid I expected more..Myrrh-pepper-saffron just to name a few that are undetectable.. I just sprayed it 5 times an hour or so ago and get only slight hints of iris and tobacco.. I thought this would be a standout from Diptyque but I was wrong.. Luckily I got is as a free sample and did not spend cash on this.. Now I must try my sample of Tam Dao..

17 January, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

An altogether too humble offering from Diptyque, Volutes seems at first an essay in dryness as an iris and sawdust accord with mild leather accents faintly prickles the nose, later beginning to breathe a bit with a touch of sweet sweat (honey, immortelle and suggestions of resins and spices). All this discreet, powdery, dry sweetness is heading in one direction: a mild and comforting tobacco. While there is nothing in the composition I dislike, I can’t get past how underpowered it all is; the feel is of wearing a scented body lotion rather than a perfume.
    Review is for EDT.

14 November, 2013

drmike's avatar

very interesting not pretty though but i think its pure wood (EDP)

OK , trying not to read other reviews. i've just sprayed the EDP on my write. There is an instant blast of something sweet a bit honey like almost the smell you get from a wood factory mixed with something very aromatic. then pooof! its gone. What i get now is cedar wood !! there is a touch a some sort of synthetic leather maybe but the wood is at the fore. AS it wears off its goes sweeter and then you do pick up the tobacco and i think a little white birch ! bit its peculiar to wear. it is honestly pretty similar to a wood suppliers or something to that and if that's what you want to smell like then this must be it.

I don't wear this out. I don't think others would really this smell and it does not project well , scent stays close to the skin. but wierdly i have to admit i spray this on a lot a home because I like the aroma in the house. Maybe this is why Diptyque seem to be getting more of a name for their room sprays.

so there you go honey wood wood wood a bit of leather and tobacco ! but is not a classic personal fragrance in my opinion its not exiting just interesting to smell.

Pros: masculine, very autumn, woody
    Cons: a bit boring, not not pretty , "

12 September, 2013

nonnative's avatar

nice combination of leather and tobacco

Volutes was presented to me as a combination of leather and tobacco notes. I have to say they are really well blended and recognisable. While on the mouillette it keeps the bitterness I first smelled, on my skin evolves into a sweet honey/iris scent that is not very interesting. My best tobacco scent is still Tea for Two by l'Artisan.

Pros: two main notes of leather and tobacco are well blended
    Cons: not original "

07 August, 2013

babsbendix's avatar

Made me want a bottle of Habanita

This review is for the EDT - I look forward to smelling the EDP as I think I'd like the fragrance more with additional sweetness and depth. The EDT reminds me very much of Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris. Both do a post-modern trick of reducing the impression of a vintage oriental down to basically a single note. I mean, they do develop a little, but compared to vintage scents they're very linear. I like vintage oriental scents so much that I enjoy having this option. Yet I must admit that smelling Volutes just inspired me to go and buy a bottle of my old fave Molinard's Habanita, which is so inexpensive, and has so much more complexity. I'd say that it, and not Shalimar, was the reference oriental for Volutes if there actually was one.

Pros: Way more interesting than most releases
    Cons: A little simplistic"

19 July, 2013

• 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 5 days
    STARTING BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    Diptyque "Volutes" Women's Eau De Toilette Fragrance. 3.4 fl oz.
    • Time Left: 7 days
    Diptyque - Solid Perfume - "Volutes" 0.14oz
    • Time Left: 29 days
    Diptyque Volutes 2ml EDP For Men + Women ...Tobacco w Honey + Wood, Woodsy, Oud
    • Time Left: 29 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    DIPTYQUE VOLUTES PURFUME SAMPLE 0.06 FL. OZ.
    • Time Left: 23 days