Herod (2012)

Herod information

Year of Launch2012

HouseParfums de Marly

About Herod

Herod is a masculine fragrance by Parfums de Marly. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Herod

I received my sample yesterday. Still undecided as to weather I like or love this. I know I at least like it but might have to give it more time.

I get a sweet tobacco. As if a packet of tobacco has just been opened. I also get honey or cinnamon. There are a few spices thrown in for good measure.

It lasts around 6-7 hours on my skin with average sillage.
19th October, 2017
The perfect balance of tobacco and sweetness. This has a moist tobacco note.

Two sprays to the back of my neck and the scent was detected 6 feet away. The next day, the scent was slightly lighter but still easily detectable on my skin.

Note: If you are having problems finding Herod, Nordstrom is carrying it. It is easier to find on their website than in their stores.
25th August, 2017
My absolute favorite from the brand. I currently have six PDM fragrances and would love to try some of the other not so popular ones. I wasn't always a fan of tobacco scents until I got ahold of this one and I immediately loved it. Now tobacco scents are my favorite genre of fragrances and I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can start wearing them again.
22nd August, 2017
A sweeter spice bomb with honey added to it. Cinnamon and tobacco rear their head also. I just wish it projected as it doesn't project very well on me at all.

Very expensive for what it is , doesn't smell niche or exciting just smells like a designer fragrance.

Beautiful scent just shoddy performance on me , it does last just doesn't jump of the skin

13th August, 2017
jabar Show all reviews
There is the initial blast: tobacco, vanilla, and a touch of spice: pepper, cinnamon and cedar.

Within the first half hour, the shock-wave: dry, almost powdery incense, dancing with the tobacco and a splash of astringent vetiver.

And the aftershock: the deep, fruity osmanthus with growing honey sweetness.

All within hour one.

Herod is probably the first scent where I could pick out just about every note. All are well-blended, but not homogenized to a dull gray. Instead, the drydown remains a collage of superimposed notes, beckoning together while separating apart at closer inspection.

Collectively we interpret the prominent tobacco and vanilla notes (no, Herod is quite distant from Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille; perhaps a fruitier, mellower Spicebomb Extreme?), but the incense and floral combo of osmanthus and labdanum are the source of red fruity sweetness that defines Herod's foundation. There's enough diversity here to keep grasping one's attention; I can't help but keep drawing an endless succession of furtive sniffs.

If one were to make a real-world comparison, Herod smells like the Witches' Market in La Paz, Bolivia: full of rich, sweet incense, heady love potions and otherworldly magic.

Great longevity with a moderate projection.

Excellent.
17th December, 2016
Herod is the fragrance that seemingly put Parfums de Marly on the map, as its popularity grew quickly in 2015 despite a release more than three years prior.

It's in the elite group of sweet tobacco fragrances, and I find it one of the best offerings in this group, of which I'm a big fan and own a few examples.

Honey is the main player as far as sweetness, despite the slight presence of vanilla, and it's the main pairing of honey and tobacco in almost equal proportions that creates a very sweet, lovely experience. Herod is also rounded out by the presence of some cinnamon, pepper, cedar. I don't really get any vetiver, and the cinnamon and pepper are rather subdued, as the mix does not lean much spicy, only sweet.

I find Herod to be closer to By Kilian Back to Black than Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, frankly, as Herod and Back to Black share a honey-dominant sweetness, whereas Tobacco Vanille has a vanilla-dominant sweetness. In all three cases, though, the tobacco isn't overwhelming, as they're each quite sweet in their own ways.

Herod works well in its own right because it works the range from being a casual, fun fragrance (that's very easy to wear) to a dressy nighttime fragrance befitting more formal events. It's a little easier to wear in warmer weather than Tobacco Vanille, also, as it's not as spicy as Tobacco Vanille. Overall, Herod leans slightly masculine and toward cold weather use but both of these preferences are surely somewhat flexible.

Performance is quite strong---probably not in the uppermost echelon of beast mode, like many Tom Ford Private Blends (Amber Absolute, Tobacco Vanille, Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather, Italian Cypress) but the next rung down, so quite superb.

One of the greats out there, and at a more reasonable price than Back to Black or Tobacco Vanille, as Herod is regularly available for under $200 for 125ml (EDP) on Beautyspin/Notino. Get your nose on it!

9 out of 10
08th December, 2016

Add your review of Herod

Shop for Herod products online

Search Amazon for Herod

Member images of Herod

There are no member images of Herod yet. Why not be the first?