Herod (2012)

Herod information

Year of Launch2012

HouseParfums de Marly

About Herod

Herod is a masculine fragrance by Parfums de Marly. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Herod

Another sweet tobacco fragrance (I've also tried D&G the One and Michael Kors for Men 2014). This has the added quality, I think, that could make someone consider the higher price tag; just.

It's not mind-blowing, but it's a nice, sweet, rustic, very slightly flowery fragrance that works well for men.
13th April, 2015
Herod opens with a sweet, sugary, soft and mellow accord of tobacco, resins, candied notes, sweet spices (cinnamon) and pleasant whiffs of myrrh, vanilla and light vetiver. Few notes and all quite detectable. Halfway some “candied” Lutens (like Arabie) and soft-sweet tobacco scents like Tobacco Vanille or Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella (to which the tobacco note in Herod resembles quite much; I am pretty sure they used the same aromachemicals here too). The head notes provide a light fresh breeze, I smell something halfway silky bergamot and a greenish-balsamic note (I guess this may all be due to osmanthus, which is in fact a tea-ish sweet-fresh note a bit balsamic and a bit floral). But most of all it’s tobacco and resinous spices. The tobacco note is close to the smell of fresh and humid tobacco right out of the bag, so nothing “dark” or too masculine – on the contrary, slightly humid, quite plushy and sweet. Among the Parfums de Marly range, which for what I’ve tested so far I always considered below mediocre, this is one of the nicest for sure; derivative and quite uncreative, but crisp, rich and pleasant, not (too much) synthetic, with a nice set of nuances which work fine. Good persistence and quite bold projection. Just a bit tacky perhaps, but a nice “Christmas tobacco” scent which I’d (moderately) suggest to all tobacco fans.

6,5-7/10
08th December, 2014

I really enjoy this one. Herod opens with robust notes of tobacco, cinnamon, and what smells like cherry. It's spicy and rich and on the sweet side--a semi-gourmand that never crosses compeltely over due to the tobacco and solid blend of woods in the base. As Herod dries down a wonderful vanilla note emerges, deep and all-encompassing, similar to the vanilla found in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. From it's lively spices in the opening to the very end, Herod is an excellent fragrance. However, its drydown is without a doubt the best part. There's great balance between the cinnamon, vanilla, and deep woods and everything melds together flawlessly. In the end, you're left with a great option for the cooler months. More sophisticated than Pure Havane, and not as crude as Tobacco Vanille, Herod is worth sampling and I'd even recommend it as a blind buy for those in the gourmand-tobacco market.
30th October, 2014
I like it but the price tag is a mountain for me. The notes from top to bottom is blended well although I have issues with the longevity on my skin which would also prevent me from purchasing a full bottle of this but a decant would be nice to have.
30th June, 2014
I had really high hopes for this fragrance. I was about to blind buy it because people compared it to Tobacco Vanille, but there is no comparison to TV. The opening smells like OXY Acne Cleansing Pads. I haven't had acne for a long time, but it brought me right back to my teenage years. It feels cool when I go to sniff it on my skin almost like menthol or mint. A few moments later I start to smell the tobacco with a hint of honey and vanilla, but it doesn't last long on my skin. After a couple hours I get a faint s'mores like scent similar to Tobacco Vanille, but it doesn't have much sillage. It's also very expensive and only comes in 4.2 oz.
30th January, 2014
I've heard this compared to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but I like this better. Not as sweet as TV, the vanilla is more subdued and the tobacco is more up front. While TV is unisex, Herod is much more clearly masculine. Fairly linear, lasts a long time, but projection is modest.

Pros: Great tobacco scent, masculine
Cons: Hard to find, expensive
01st January, 2014

Add your review of Herod

Shop for Herod products online

Search Amazon for Herod

Member images of Herod

There are no member images of Herod yet. Why not be the first?