L'Heure de Nuit (2012)

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Heure de Nuit

L'Heure de Nuit was created by Thierry Wasser as an homage to L'Heure Bleue on the 100th Anniversary of the scent. The original fragrance was inspired by Impressionism. Wasser's version is described as a “watercolour version, a subtle balance between refinement and personality."

L'Heure de Nuit fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Heure de Nuit

L'Huere Bleue is one of my favorite perfumes, so I ignored L'Heure de Nuit for years knowing a mere flanker could never dethrone my queen. But, after giving it a proper chance, it has won me over.

Nuit isn't as bafflingly complex as Bleue, though they share the same doughy core - that complicated mix of stuff that smells simultaneously like almonds, bread, grease paint, old makeup, and spices. While Bleue gains a lot of mystery from topnotes shrouded in powder, Nuit is more straightforward with a mix of violets, grape, and Guerlain's signature cherry, all of which melt together well with the clove aspect of the heartnotes, giving a spicy sweet fruitiness juxtaposed with the spiced dough. This change from powder to fruit does make for easier wearing (my only real complaint about L'Heure Bleue is that the powder billows ridiculously with more than the lightest application).

I ended up splurging on a bottle - only time will tell which I'll end up reaching for the most. While I feel like I might be sacrificing a touch of nuance for wearability, I think the depth is still there, especially witnessing the varied descriptions in these reviews, implying that there's a lot of hidden detail to smell even in this new version.
27th March, 2018
I am a big fan of L'Heure Bleue and recently became a big fan of Apres L'Ondee, both uniquely related in a fragrance category which seems to only exist in the world of Guerlain. After 1246 Basenotes reviews, I could safely say I have never found another scent that resembles either of these two icons.

Now, however, Guerlain itself has produced a third. L'Heure de Nuit begins with a dry anise predominating the initial impression. Then begins a very close approximaton to the original L'Heure Bleue. Nuit has far fewer ingredients than Bleue, but only the peach is "new." All others were part of the original Bleue formula (18 ingredients as compared with Nuit's 10).

Nuit is therefore less complex than Bleue, but close enough to approximate Bleue's effect to a lesser degree. The question is why would one want to pay three times the price for Nuit, when Bleue is better and less expensive?

The projection is great and the longevity excellent. A perfectly lovely homage to the original, but if anything, Nuit should be less expensive than Bleue in order to attract an appropriate audience.
27th October, 2017
I am not great ar reviews. I have vintage L'heure Blue Extrait and EDT, I have the current perfume and EDP. I have vintage Extrait of Apres L'ONDEE and current EDT of Apree. I have to say the color in the Guerlain Boutique turned me off from trying it but when I got home with a sample I was actually shocked. I have sold many of the a L'huere and Apres vintage and have never really liked how they sat on my skin but this is sort of in between those two. Not as heavy as LB and not as fleeting and sharp as the new Apres.
This smells on me the way discription soft vintage LB seem to smell on others. I love it!
Yes it is pricey but if you are looking for a fragrance that resemble the vintage Apres and LB. this might be the one for you. I am surprised and of course had the boutique send one the next day.
I know I will use it up!
14th September, 2017
To me, L'heure de nuit is a mere variation on L'heure bleue but not much more than that. Of course, I love so much L'heure bleue I could not possibly give L'heure de nuit a bad rating. However, I was expecting a little more from this fragrance. I found L'HDN somewhat tangier and slightly less powdery than L'HB but that's about it. So far, I have not smelled both fragrances on the same person, so I cannot tell whether there are more noticeable differences beside the purplish colour of L'HDN. However, there is a major difference as far as cost is concerned. L'HDN is about two and a half times more expensive than L'HB where I live.
15th March, 2015
As a L'Heure Bleue fanatic I'll add my review for the sake of comparing L'Heure de Nuit to the old Guerlain classic.

L'Heure de Nuit is a reformulation of LHB rather than a true homage (as opposed to Insolence). Given the restrictions on heliotropin and clove materials, I wasn't holding my breath. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It is far better than the disastrous 2010 reformulation. Overall, Wasser has pulled a "New Shalimar": adjusting for restricted materials, "cleaning" it, and adding some space to the fragrance.

L'Heure de Nuit opens with a minimal touch of cloves. Rather, the top notes are chock full of violets and a green neroli note. It is nose-tickling and bitter, and it is a kind of sleight of hand, substituting for the restricted cloves (eugenol, etc.) that you otherwise expect.

After this faux spicy opening, the fragrance quickly unfolds into a heart of floral, powder, and balsamic sweet notes. These continue until they peter out into a nice musky vanillic base.

L'Heure de Nuit smells closest to my 80's LHB eau de cologne, which is soft, floral, powdery, sweet, and short on cloves. L'Heure de Nuit lacks the praline effect of the pre-2010 formulations (as described by Luca Turin in The Guide), possibly in part because the honeyed leather notes have been removed.

With a note of "white musk" I was ready for the worst, but I have to say that Wasser has done a very good job with this one. I wouldn't be surprised if this formula finds its way into the regular LHB bottles during the next decade.

Gripe time: The shortcomings of this fragrance include the same problem I have with the new Shalimars: longevity. An edp should last a bit longer than this. L'Heure de Nuit wears more like an edt. Sillage is gentle, so I'd like to see this projecting a bit more, too. But there may be a difference when testing between spraying and dabbing.

(And if someone from Guerlain reads this, please change the color.)

I think L'Heure de Nuit may prove popular with the general public (if they ever smell it), but a tough sell to fellow LHB lovers. Because for the same price I could plump for a vintage parfum on ebay. Nevertheless, I think I'll be getting a bottle of L'Heure de Nuit when I can afford it.

4/5 stars
23rd March, 2013 (last edited: 04th April, 2013)
Zhi Show all reviews
I happened to be in Saks yesterday sampling a few perfumes. I decided to splurge on a bottle of By Kilian's Rose Oud which is marvelous. I had, however, applied L'Heure de Nuit to one arm and certainly "like" it, but after the Kilian purchase decided to leave. As I walked across the parking lot the warm spring breeze kept giving me fleeting whiffs of the Guerlain - lovely. I got into my car pulled out the parking lot and the sun hit my arm and the fragrance got stronger and warmer and was amazing. I couldn't ignore it, and yes, I pulled back into the parking lot and bought a bottle.

While I don't having the perfume vocabulary of most of the people who post here, I would say this is the traditional Guerlainade with a soft veil over it. It is really soft yet definitely present - and perfumes tend to fade quickly on my skin - this does not. All in all I love it and hope many of you will enjoy it too!
11th March, 2013 (last edited: 12th March, 2013)

Add your review of L'Heure de Nuit

Shop for L'Heure de Nuit products online

L'HEURE DE NUIT GUERLAIN LES PARIESIENNES COLLECTION EDP SAMPLE 3.8 ML .12 OZ

End Date: Friday Mar-22-2019 17:48:48 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $39.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Guerlain L'heure De Nuit used 80% remains in 4.2 oz bee bottle with box, sprayer

$78.00 (10 Bids)

Buy It Now for only: $16.00

Buy It Now for only: $30.00

Buy It Now for only: $65.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Guerlain L'Heure De Nuit EDP Bee Bottle 4.2oz/125ml Spray New InBox 2012 ...

End Date: Monday Apr-1-2019 5:13:35 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $555.75
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Guerlain L'Heure De Nuit EDP Bee Bottle 4.2oz/125ml Spray New InBox 2012 ...

End Date: Monday Apr-1-2019 5:13:35 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $555.75

Buy It Now for only: $15.75

Buy It Now for only: $15.75

Buy It Now for only: $28.75
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Guerlain L'Heure De Nuit EDP Bee Bottle 4.2oz/125ml Spray New InBox 2012 EDITION

End Date: Tuesday Apr-2-2019 8:04:25 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $504.99

GUERALIN L'HEURE DE NUIT SPRAY OR SPLASH 125 ML/4.2 FL.OZ. NEW FRESH NEW FRESH

End Date: Wednesday Apr-3-2019 12:31:54 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $319.00

Member images of L'Heure de Nuit

There are no member images of L'Heure de Nuit yet. Why not be the first?