Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk
by Trish McEvoy

Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk information

HouseTrish McEvoy

About Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk

Sexy 9 is differentiated from Trish McEvoy No. 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk with the addition of patchouli.

Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk

Instantly what I like about this fragrance is it gives all the portentions of being a sweet "fruitchouli" full of syrupy grossness but instead is nothing of the sort. Sexy #9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk by Trish McEvoy (2019) is a modernized tweak on the original #9 Blackberry & Musk (2000) with a bit more added to the base and some sharper elements injected overall. The profile of the stuff is designed to accent your own chemistry rather than cover it, so the fragrance has nothing inherently animalic or virile to impart "sexy" on its own, but once it mixes with skin and some sweat, comes alive similarly to Yves Saint Laurent pour Homme (1971), which was built the same way. Trish McEvoy sometimes comes across as the "niche brand for Karens", especially with their "Bath & Body Works style elevated to luxury price points", but the mass-appeal composition meeting with luxury levels of performance actually works. You have to enjoy fruity floral scents, so this may veer feminine for most people, but since it is marketed that way, it doesn't come as a surprise to me at all that women mostly wear it. That being said, Sexy #9 can be scrumptious on anyone.

The opening is blackberry, tart, juicy, and wonderful. This mixes with mandarin orange, some lemon, and a soft floral note that reminds me of the Glade Angel Whispers candle. Some people might be turned off by this comparison to commercial fragrance, but I love that candle so I'll have none of that backtalk thank you. The patchouli, if there is any, feels barely there to my nose, although the heart does continue in the pink floral direction with some appropriate pink pepper to boot for a bit of depth and piquant vavoom. Osmanthus is here to lend another fruity floral aspect, but the usual fleshy apricot it affords is toned down severely, so saying this has any noticeable osmanthus is a mistake. The base is the only real hangup for me, since Trish McEvoy goes down the "amberwoods" road with ambroxan, norlimbanol, and some cashmeran. You get some scratchiness in later phases of the wear for this reason but the yummy top note that lasts forever mixing with a clean vegetal musk seems to save it. The thing that impresses most here is the non-cloying handling of vanilla, being less confectionery in nature and more floral in execution. Wear time is 8+ hours and sillage is good but projection won't scream. Classifying this as a gourmand due to the presence of some fruit notes seems a stretch to me, but that's just my take.

I'm at a bit of a loss to describe where best to use Sexy #9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk because it's clean enough for casual or work use but has that "secret weapon" factor when mixing with your sweat to become something else. Ultimately you wear what you what where you want, but at the very least I can say this probably has little by the way of projection in the cold, since sharp smells do poorly on numb noses. Being a niche fragrance sold at places like Nordstrom or Saks with price tags approaching $200 for 50ml (1.7oz) seems like a bum deal for what this is, but plenty of sales online happen, bringing actual cost of acquistion to that of a standard designer if you are smart enough to shop for deals. If you want a simple pleasure that is every bit what the name suggests, check out Sexy #9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk, but nobody would really blame you either if you skipped out, since this is definitely perfume with a purpose as opposed to a "perfume as art" kind of a thing. Still, I find this enjoyable once moving past the price point, and no harm done beyond it. Thumbs up.
22nd May, 2020
Well, there is a bottle of a certain unknown fragrance chemical sitting on the organ of commercial perfumers, that when incorporated into a fragrance, strikes me viciously and without warning. I'm somewhat used to these sneak attacks, but still don't enjoy them, as the sheer nose-searing vileness of it must be similar to being maced or pepper-sprayed... except I didn't do anything worthy of bringing me to my knees in such a manner. I'm not a bear trying to steal some fisherman's salmon, or using a baseball bat on someone's car. I was just trying on a fragrance. The worst part is I never see it coming.
As you can tell by now, this fragrance did a number on me. It smells scrumptious and sexy in the bottle, but the minute it hits my skin morphs into mace. I'm not quite sure what the chemical is, but I think it's associated with the fruit note, probably the blackberry in this one, because the culprit turns into a sickly sweet, burning, harsh nauseousness. Two recent ones, both with fruit, that had this chemical were Diptyque's L'Ombre Dan L'eau and Mon Numero 6 by L'Artisan. Thank goodness Sexy 9 wasn't as bad as LODL which was repelling, It had blackcurrant in it and MN6 had Lychee and Mango. Another I recall with the same reaction was Delrae Amoureuse.
Unwearable, lethal, no way, no stars.
21st January, 2013 (last edited: 06th December, 2013)

Add your review of Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk

End Date: Sunday Jun-14-2020 9:02:44 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $99.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk

There are no member images of Sexy 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk yet. Why not be the first?