Javanese Patchouli (2012)

HouseErmenegildo Zegna
PerfumerFrank Voelkl
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances

About Javanese Patchouli

Javanese Patchouli is a masculine fragrance by Ermenegildo Zegna. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Frank Voelkl

Javanese Patchouli fragrance notes

Reviews of Javanese Patchouli

This fragrance really got me the first time I smelled it. I first tested Javanese Patchouli where I used to buy all my fragrances, at the duty free shop in the airport wasting time before I catch a flight. Wandering around and just smelling the usual suspects they have at these shops I found this in a bit out of the way corner of the store and of everything I smelled, this really stood out.

I remember first smelling the scent of patchouli wafting around the sidewalks in Haight Ashbury San Fransisco where the bohemian culture thrives, this reminds me of those scents and I like that.

J.P. is clean, with very clear woody patchouli notes throughout, I detect slight citrus and pepper in the opening with the woods emerging a bit in the dry down.

In the day of safe gourmand metrosexual scents J.P. is a great change of pace for my nose.

I have quite a few patchouli dominated scents and this is my favorite, I can wear it with a suit to change things up as it’s not a sillage beast, my only small complaint is the longevity for me as it last about 3 hours on my skin and it’s a bit expensive.

I will buy another backup bottle as I’m not sure this is a popular scent right now and I will always want this in my collection, it’s quite unique.

17th February, 2017
A woody, dry, clean patchouli. Zegna's Essenze line is very impressive and Javanese Patchouli may be the best of the lot. The patch is unmistakable, but it's fresher and more modern paired with the sweet tone of bergamot and a touch of pink pepper dancing through the background.

This could be the quintessential, modern, businessman's scent. A modern day "Madmen" fragrance. Successful in that cunning, slightly perverse kind of way. A definite confidence maker IMO.

Thumbs up and a must have.
01st September, 2016
A veritable alternative to Oud Palao. No oud in this but very close to OP that seems to not be able to make up its mind if it is an oud scent or patch scent.
Clean and modern without giving up any bite. I can easily wear this out in public without drawing unnecessary attention but rather all the right attention. The citrus notes on top create a wonderful juxtaposition to the patch, constantly reminding you of its presence without needing to resort to heaviness. Wonderfully done.
26th July, 2016
If you don't expect a straight-forward head-shop classic patchouli a-la Reminiscence / Les Nereides, if you're not looking for a dry and dark patch-centered composition along the line of Sombre Negra / Mink or for the challenging roughness of Mazzolari Lui and Farmacia SS Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano, this Zegna might fit your bill.

A polished take on the main theme which opens with a zesty citrus while immediately uncovering a slightly camphorous patchouli note. The main player here is devoided of any of its challenging facets while still somehow mantaining some of its inherent earthy quality. The whole fragrance is supported by a designer-inspired woody-tonka base that makes it both quite safe and very easy to like. When it comes to *polished* takes on this note, I still prefer stuff more complex comps such as Coromandel but give this a chance as it's indeed pretty solid.

Pros: Solid, easy to like, versatile.
Cons: Simple and overpriced.

13th August, 2015
Somewhat reminiscent of Ulrich Lang Nightscape, Javanese Patchouli is another urbane take on patchouli. Scrubbed and stripped of its dirt and earth, the sanitized patchouli thankfully retains its faintly musky facet albeit one laced with the same bergamot that runs like a luminous vein through most of the Essenze line. Warm hints of pepper act as a suitable counterpoint to the cool kiss of bergamot, keeping it comfortably smooth and dry, pretty much like a freshly pressed dress shirt I suppose.

Modest projection, decent staying power, impeccably office-appropriate. Another confident outing by a sartorial powerhouse.
26th April, 2015
When I first sampled the Zegna's Esseze line, the standout was Indonesian Oud (with the perfect balance of medicinal Oud and deep rose, which was unique yet smells professional enough for work). However, it was undeniable that there was quality ingredients and perfumery mastery within the entire range.

I am glad I returned to smelling the range many times over and Javanese Patchouli finally revealed its magic. It's front and centre patchouli, yet it has been miraculously refined (unlike the more often found hippie quotient it exudes). Must try for even those who are not partial to Patchouli, as well as Patchouli lovers just to undestand how this wild note can be beautifully manipulated.
26th January, 2015

Add your review of Javanese Patchouli

Shop for Javanese Patchouli products online

Search Amazon for Javanese Patchouli

Member images of Javanese Patchouli

There are no member images of Javanese Patchouli yet. Why not be the first?