The Cobra And the Canary (2012)
by Imaginary Authors

The Cobra And the Canary information

Year of Launch2012

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About The Cobra And the Canary

The Cobra And the Canary is a shared / unisex perfume by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Meyer

The Cobra And the Canary fragrance notes

Reviews of The Cobra And the Canary

I don't really like the usual, popular leather scents but I like this, so take that into consideration when deciding if this is worth your time.

Spiced, buttery opening. The heart is leather dominant but the leather note should be accessible to many and not as polarizing as some other very strong leathers that I've smelled before. There are also nice florals that compliment the leather. Just speaking from my own experience, I don't usually like leather as the main note but this one is nice and I enjoy it.

Good projection and longevity that lasts all workday.
15th November, 2018 (last edited: 16th November, 2018)
I really enjoy this, as i do most of the imaginary authors line.

Once this has settled down, i get quite a strong medicinal/plasters note (in a good way).

I get the leather, but wouldnt call this a leather scent.

It's not complex, and doesnt go on a real journey. But enjoyable for me none the less.
29th October, 2018
Opens with a fresh and bitter leather; the leather is quite raw and I am surprised on how well it's blended with lemon; this stuff is really nice. Combining a dry but warm hay note with the leather and lemon is surprisingly good and lifts the composition to another level. The hay also brings a mentholated smell and the combination somehow reminds me of septic bandages and hospitals.
Within 2 hours, the smell shifts into a new direction; the leather, which seems to be more in the top notes mostly disappears, there are no more traces of menthol or hospitals, but the freshness remains there; it's still citrus and it's paired with a beautiful iris and a sort of a coconut/fig leaf that's milky and creamy.
By the 5th hour it shifts again as the freshness is gone and the leather comes back with a motor oil vibe; a weird combination, oily and creamy at the same time.
This and A City on Fire are the best Imaginary Authors fragrances for me, both being an unusual combination in a palette of mostly mediocre blended scents.
04th October, 2018
A coarse, unpleasant fume, amatuer in construction. Avoid.
31st May, 2018
A different take on leather. TCAC is a unique fragrance as one might expect from Americana niche designer, Imaginary Authors. The opening is a beeswax like grassy accord that I don't care for at all, but it gradually sweetens and a old leather note appears along with faint tobacco leaves and perhaps a barn like hay in the background. The leather heart notes, sweetened with the tobacco is really pretty nice, but the offensive waxy opening sorta lingers in the background and makes what could've been a unique leather, sour. TCAC has a distinct outdoor feel to it, and might be a good option for someone who works outside, as most of the notes seem natural and maybe even "weathered", if a scent could be such a thing. TCAC slightly reminds me of Tauer's Lonestar Memories and even more of D.S. & Durga's Cowboy Grass. The Americana Niche is more about evoking an atmosphere as much as a scent IMO, and in that regard TCAC is a success. Not withstanding the odd opening, the body of TCAC just isn't my style, but I wouldn't say it's a bad fragrance, so Neutral rating for me.
08th September, 2015
The Cobra and the Canary's acidic opening and slightly sweeter dry down lend credence to its name, and while I do regard the opening as undesirable, TCATC is definitely not as harsh as Bull's Blood in any phase, though TCATC's projection is more limited. The lemon note is the most obvious complementary note to the leather, putting TCATC somewhere between a leather chair and lemon pine sol on wood, neither of which I regard as flattering to smell at length individually, but together they do make for a creative leather scent. Imaginary Authors again crafts something different from the standard repertoire, which I respect, even if TCATC is not something I would purchase myself. I only warmed up to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather recently, though, so my not being a fan of leather should be taken into account. TCATC's longevity is decent, as well, into the 6-8 hour range after which it become a skin scent. It never hurts to remind again that the Imaginary Authors EDP juice comes pretty cheap at $85 for 60ml (and at some sites, $55 for 30ml), so that always adds curb appeal to a scent you love, like, or can appreciate.

A fascinating scent, and one that leather fans should clearly flock to, as should those, like me, that continue to be intrigued by the Imaginary Authors line.

76 out of 10
10th March, 2015 (last edited: 22nd June, 2017)

Add your review of The Cobra And the Canary

Shop for The Cobra And the Canary products online

Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary 2ml Spray Sample – *Read Description*

End Date: Tuesday Dec-11-2018 8:41:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $9.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of The Cobra And the Canary

There are no member images of The Cobra And the Canary yet. Why not be the first?