Enchanted Forest (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseThe Vagabond Prince
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour

About Enchanted Forest

Enchanted Forest is a shared / unisex perfume by The Vagabond Prince. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Reviews of Enchanted Forest

My first thought on spraying Enchanted Forest was that it smells like Enya. Winter Enya, specifically the "On My Way Home" video where she is Anna Karen-Enya on a snowbound train wrapped in white furs and turban, reliving sepia-toned holiday memories of pine forests and paper lantern Christmas ornaments. Enya is one of my favorite pop artists ever, so the fact that Enchanted Forest conjured the Enya world so effortlessly and effectively pleased me immensely.
There is a wonderfully dirty castoreum-pine effect at the beginning that is like Yatagan. The rest of the perfume is built on a contrast of sour blackcurrant, my favorite perfume fruit, and misty, bitter pine and moss effects. Something I find impressive is how it makes fruit and holiday trappings smell so staid and masculine.
I'd like if the woodsy elements were bolder--more patchouli, more castoreum, more grass--but this is a beautiful and unique perfume for those like me who enjoy bitter blackcurrant of the type found in Magie Noire and L'Ombre dans L'Eau, truly an Eau d'Enya.
03rd December, 2015
I love Be Du! This is not one of my favorite BeDu fragrances, but I like it. Just blackcurrant, no complexity, no much style but a childish version of a glass of manhattan. Too simple for a thumb up.
21st November, 2015
Tested from a sample over 3 days. "Newbie" amateur review:
Definite LIKE.
The first blast is full-on fruity blackcurrant, a bit like fruit gums or blackcurrant herbal tea. Then after only a few seconds the smell changes and becomes really authentic blackcurrant, not just the berries, but the whole bush: the fruit, the leaves and stems and the earthy roots in the soil. I have blackcurrants in my allotment at the moment and I went out to compare - this is a really good simulation of the real thing. (Tip: don't attempt to walk through nettles wearing Havaianas....)
I think I read someone said it reminded him of body odour. I got that too, but it's by no means a criticism. The overall effect is to give an earthy, sour quality to the blackcurrants, that makes it seem more like real life. I don't get the fir/conifer smell too much (or much else actually) that everyone else gets. The body odour/earthy part also makes it a very sexy scent, in my opinion. I'm not an expert, but I would say it doesn't develop very much, except that I can smell a little vanilla in there right at the end before it vanishes. Lasts 6-7 hours on me, with quite soft sillage.
For me it's not really "enchanted", it's very in-your-face human. The image I get is of a person on a long walk in the country, on a hot summer's day, sweat on skin, hiking shorts, T-shirt, walking deeper into a wood (ok I got influenced by the name..) with some kind of opportunistic sexual motive. I would wear this if I was in the habit of having illicit trysts in the woods (I'm not in the habit of that at all), and unlike many other reviewers, I would wear it outdoors, in summer, if I was walking, working in the garden or doing some kind of manual work. It's one of those I think I'd only wear rarely, but I like it enough to buy a bottle, so it's going straight on my "want" list.
July 2015
Later edit. I decided that I am still in two minds as to how often I would really wear this, so I decided to get another small sample before investing in a bottle.
21st July, 2015 (last edited: 22nd July, 2015)
Not for me I'm afraid. Too sweet and fruity, and as someone who pretty much lives in the forest, my nose doesn't pick up any of the pine I'm afraid. It may be in there, but on me, it's swamped by the berry notes.

Of good quality, so it can't be faulted for that, but as a fellow, I'll take my foresty notes a bit more dry and demonstrative.
10th July, 2015
I loved this the first time I tried it, when it veered back and forth between blackcurrant and pine, both realistic, both wonderful, not what I had ever imagined working together, but somehow they did.

Then I wore it again today. It was much warmer outside today than when I first sampled. NONE of the pine came through, and it was all blackcurrant, and not nearly so exciting.

My recommendation is to try this in winter or fall, when it is sublime. In summer, don't bother.
20th June, 2015
The name says it all - the opening is pure enchantment. I wanted it to last forever. The beautiful musky aroma of authentic wild blackcurrant, distinct and piquant, conifer notes, cool air and fragrant moist forest floor humus really took my breath away. Beautiful evocation. I've picked blackcurrants in the woods, and this speaks of all that's wonderful about it, that musky fruit aroma on your hands as you pick. I felt a true sense of place. Beyond that, the berry here really is outstanding. It has such character it stays in your memory. At this point I didn't want this fragrance to go anywhere but where it was. I could have stayed in this forest forever.

I was afraid how this fragrance might develop. How do you follow an opening like this? It slowly leads away from the moist, shadowed forest on a path that steadily brightens, to a sunny glade. Kind of archetypal fairy tale. The moist notes start to dry off, and ambery benzoin started suffusing the blackcurrant musk with the smell of conifer resin mingling with wild rose in the sunshine. I was surprised by this new note, how very sensual blackcurrant, rose, resin and vegetable musk was. It was really beautiful. It was so different from the typical musk you smell in a fragrance, really quite unique, such an authentic sensuality, as if it came straight from the blackcurrant. At this point, the fragrance was starting to feel inspired. Again, I didn't want to leave this spot. I wanted it to go on forever.

The amberiness gradually became stronger, like the sun rising toward high noon, slowly burning off moistness, topnotes and delicacy. Slowly, the sensual rose, blackcurrant and resiny musk dissipated under a preponderance of non-complex vanillic amber. There were undertones of the blackcurrant and rose, staining it with a sweet memory, but not enough to win over the amber. I would have been happy with a draw, but by the end it was mostly amber. Because of the smashing character of the blackcurrant, I wanted it to be the raison d'etre of this fragrance, which it was for about half the life of it. But because I’m not an amber fan the ending didn’t satisfy me, but rather disappointed. Beyond that, it wasn't even an amber with character, but a weak one. Though perhaps that was a mercy, as it could have been a maddening monolithic amber, which I couldn’t tolerate. I can tolerate this one.
If it had been able to retain more of that sun-warmed rose, berry, and resin muskiness in the end, it would truly have been enchanting. The beginning set the bar pretty high, and the ending was weak by comparison. I still like it, with reservations. It's good, but it could have been stellar. 7.5 out of 10, but I will still have to buy some for the good parts.
06th May, 2015 (last edited: 22nd January, 2019)

Add your review of Enchanted Forest

End Date: Saturday Mar-9-2019 8:12:54 PST
Buy It Now for only: $28.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Enchanted Forest

There are no member images of Enchanted Forest yet. Why not be the first?