Enchanted Forest (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseThe Vagabond Prince
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour

About Enchanted Forest

Enchanted Forest is a shared / unisex perfume by The Vagabond Prince. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Reviews of Enchanted Forest

Tested from a sample over 3 days. "Newbie" amateur review:
Definite LIKE.
The first blast is full-on fruity blackcurrant, a bit like fruit gums or blackcurrant herbal tea. Then after only a few seconds the smell changes and becomes really authentic blackcurrant, not just the berries, but the whole bush: the fruit, the leaves and stems and the earthy roots in the soil. I have blackcurrants in my allotment at the moment and I went out to compare - this is a really good simulation of the real thing. (Tip: don't attempt to walk through nettles wearing Havaianas....)
I think I read someone said it reminded him of body odour. I got that too, but it's by no means a criticism. The overall effect is to give an earthy, sour quality to the blackcurrants, that makes it seem more like real life. I don't get the fir/conifer smell too much (or much else actually) that everyone else gets. The body odour/earthy part also makes it a very sexy scent, in my opinion. I'm not an expert, but I would say it doesn't develop very much, except that I can smell a little vanilla in there right at the end before it vanishes. Lasts 6-7 hours on me, with quite soft sillage.
For me it's not really "enchanted", it's very in-your-face human. The image I get is of a person on a long walk in the country, on a hot summer's day, sweat on skin, hiking shorts, T-shirt, walking deeper into a wood (ok I got influenced by the name..) with some kind of opportunistic sexual motive. I would wear this if I was in the habit of having illicit trysts in the woods (I'm not in the habit of that at all), and unlike many other reviewers, I would wear it outdoors, in summer, if I was walking, working in the garden or doing some kind of manual work. It's one of those I think I'd only wear rarely, but I like it enough to buy a bottle, so it's going straight on my "want" list.
July 2015
Later edit. I decided that I am still in two minds as to how often I would really wear this, so I decided to get another small sample before investing in a bottle.
21st July, 2015 (last edited: 22nd July, 2015)
Not for me I'm afraid. Too sweet and fruity, and as someone who pretty much lives in the forest, my nose doesn't pick up any of the pine I'm afraid. It may be in there, but on me, it's swamped by the berry notes.

Of good quality, so it can't be faulted for that, but as a fellow, I'll take my foresty notes a bit more dry and demonstrative.
10th July, 2015
I loved this the first time I tried it, when it veered back and forth between blackcurrant and pine, both realistic, both wonderful, not what I had ever imagined working together, but somehow they did.

Then I wore it again today. It was much warmer outside today than when I first sampled. NONE of the pine came through, and it was all blackcurrant, and not nearly so exciting.

My recommendation is to try this in winter or fall, when it is sublime. In summer, don't bother.
20th June, 2015
The name says it all - the opening is pure enchantment. I wanted it to last forever. The beautiful musky aroma of authentic wild blackcurrant, distinct and piquant, conifer notes, cool air and fragrant moist forest floor humus really took my breath away. Beautiful evocation. I've picked blackcurrants in the woods, and this speaks of all that's wonderful about it, that musky fruit aroma on your hands as you pick. I felt a true sense of place. But beyond that, the berry here really is outstanding. It has such character it stays in your memory. At this point I didn't want this fragrance to go anywhere but where it was. I could have stayed in this forest forever.

I was almost afraid how this fragrance might develop. Was it going to follow this vision I fell in love with, or fall into triteness? How do you follow an opening like this? The fragrance slowly leads you away from the deep forest down a path that steadily brightens, like the archetypal one of fairy tales, toward a sunny glade. The moist notes started to dry off, the deepness became warmer. An ambery benzoin started suffusing the blackcurrant musk with the smell of conifer resin heating in the sun, mingling with wild rose in the sunshine. I was surprised by this new note, how very sensual blackcurrant, rose, resin and vegetable musk was. It was really beautiful. It was so different from the typical musk you smell in a fragrance, really quite unique, such an authentic sensuality, as if it came straight from the blackcurrant. At this point, the fragrance was starting to feel inspired. And again, I didn't want to leave this spot. I wanted it to go on forever.

The amberiness gradually became stronger, like the sun rising toward high noon in the forest glade, slowly burning off moistness, topnotes and delicacy. Soon, the sensual rose, blackcurrant and resiny musk dissipated under a preponderance of surprisingly non-complex vanillic amber. There were subtle undertones of the blackcurrant and rose, staining it with a sweet memory, but not enough to give it presence or complexity. The final end seemed mostly amber, a crime against the blackcurrant which was the raison d'etre of this fragrance. And beyond that, it wasn't even an amber with character, but a weak one. The switch in this fragrance was huge. And puzzling.

I have to say I'm not an amber fan - it has to show me a lot of complexity before I'm beguiled. But I also thought if any fragrance would have done so, this one would. It's originality and enchantment to this point sort of demanded it and makes the dry down disappointing. Amber fans may like it, but not the rest of the fragrance, while berry lovers may like the beginning but not the end. It seems set up to not be able to fully please. I still like it, with reservations. The opening and middle are the only parts I love. It seemed to fade away into an echo of what was the meaningful and most beautiful part of the perfume. The bar was set pretty high for me, and the ending was weak by comparison. It's good, but it could have been stellar.
06th May, 2015 (last edited: 10th May, 2015)
This is a very beautiful and natural smelling fragrance that is too pity it didn't last on my skin.
There are lots of notes listed here but it's much simpler than it looks like.

The opening of this fragrance is a tart and fresh and at the same time a little sweet black currant smell along with a beautiful mossy and piny woody aroma.
The quality of the notes is really high and the whole feeling of the scent is so natural.

As time passes and in the mid the fruity black currant settles down a little bit and the woody part gets a little stronger! now in this part while the scent has that tart fresh fruity feeling, it's a little more woody, slightly resinous and it has a soft smoky aura.

The base is the same smell but now those fruity and woody parts are much softer and there is a mellow vanilla note for sweeten the scent and a little bit of musk completely in the background.
This fragrance reminds me of being in a big pine forest in the morning while there is a camp fire burning nearby and you're eating fresh black currant fruit.
Projection is average and longevity is only 3 hours on my skin.
20th March, 2015
While the dry down is okay, the opening gagged me. And the opening lasted quite a while. This is the kind of perfume where you can tell the individual components are high quality, but somehow (at least on my skin) it never really comes together.
I love the true forest smell....and I hate the true forest smell. This is like a mixture of Christmas wreath and cat piss. We used to have some kind of evergreen in our yard when I was a kid and it always smelled like our cats had been marking it. The opening of Enchanted Forest smells the same to me.
So I give it points for realism; thus the neutral rating instead of a thumbs down.
Do not want to smell this way.
Well, either my nose changed, the sample changed, or it's the hot weather we're having now, but just tried this again and what can I say? I love it! No sourness now, no cat-marking the junipers it's bright, green, cheerful, and I'm picking up a lovely though vague sweetness, too. Now I need a bigger decant; no full bottle until my imaginary ship comes in! I'm amazed at how bright and sunny this is on this bright, sunny day. I am officially eating my former words. I do want to smell like this! Oh nose, thou art fickle.
10th November, 2014 (last edited: 05th July, 2015)

Add your review of Enchanted Forest

Shop for Enchanted Forest products online

Shop for Enchanted Forest at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Enchanted Forest

Member images of Enchanted Forest

There are no member images of Enchanted Forest yet. Why not be the first?