Enchanted Forest (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseThe Vagabond Prince
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour

About Enchanted Forest

Enchanted Forest is a shared / unisex perfume by The Vagabond Prince. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Reviews of Enchanted Forest

The opening has a nice black currant note that reminds me of the Rountree & York black currant pastilles I favored when I lived in England. There's also a slight animalic skank I pick up that must be coming from the castoreum although it's listed in the base notes it seems to begin in the top notes for me. I wanted to compare this to Olympic Orchid's Blackbird to see if it was foresty compared to Blackbird. Honestly there's no comparison between them to my nose. Blackbird has a strong blackberry note and an amazing fir needle resin note that is stunning. I don't get forest per se from Enchanted Forest, so that's a problem for me. I do get a cedar note in the dry down from EF, so there is that. I don't mind this one overall. It's well made and I think I'd get a FB if I could get a good deal on it.
04th May, 2019
First impressions is an entrance into a forbidden forest: surreal, hard to pinpoint woody notes (cedar, fir?) with a strong blast of black currant that rapidly rises. Black currant is the star here: velvety fruitiness combined with black pepper spice. Layered over is coriander seed with a soapy-lemon backdrop. There's sweetness around and it intoxicates on first smell.

As you make your way further in after the first hour, florals spring up all around you: dark flowers, rose and carnation. You can smell a danger around the corner, wine (stronger) and rum (weaker) are part of the base here trying to intoxicate the senses and make you lose your footing. Animals are hidden, there's musk but it's hard to pinpoint, enough to keep you questioning yourself and your progression.

As you make your way towards the exit, herbal-amber begins to haunt and settles itself down. Dark and light at once, a wonderful combination. This is a hell of a scent: lots of layered complexity that blends wonderfully, painting the exact scene that I imagined when I saw the name and description. It has strong staying power and moderate projection, and while a bit on the pricey side, is a very good scent for any occasion.

8.5/10
14th April, 2019
My first thought on spraying Enchanted Forest was that it smells like Enya. Winter Enya, specifically the "On My Way Home" video where she is Anna Karen-Enya on a snowbound train wrapped in white furs and turban, reliving sepia-toned holiday memories of pine forests and paper lantern Christmas ornaments. Enya is one of my favorite pop artists ever, so the fact that Enchanted Forest conjured the Enya world so effortlessly and effectively pleased me immensely.
There is a wonderfully dirty castoreum-pine effect at the beginning that is like Yatagan. The rest of the perfume is built on a contrast of sour blackcurrant, my favorite perfume fruit, and misty, bitter pine and moss effects. Something I find impressive is how it makes fruit and holiday trappings smell so staid and masculine.
I'd like if the woodsy elements were bolder--more patchouli, more castoreum, more grass--but this is a beautiful and unique perfume for those like me who enjoy bitter blackcurrant of the type found in Magie Noire and L'Ombre dans L'Eau, truly an Eau d'Enya.
03rd December, 2015
I love Be Du! This is not one of my favorite BeDu fragrances, but I like it. Just blackcurrant, no complexity, no much style but a childish version of a glass of manhattan. Too simple for a thumb up.
21st November, 2015
Tested from a sample over 3 days. "Newbie" amateur review:
Definite LIKE.
The first blast is full-on fruity blackcurrant, a bit like fruit gums or blackcurrant herbal tea. Then after only a few seconds the smell changes and becomes really authentic blackcurrant, not just the berries, but the whole bush: the fruit, the leaves and stems and the earthy roots in the soil. I have blackcurrants in my allotment at the moment and I went out to compare - this is a really good simulation of the real thing. (Tip: don't attempt to walk through nettles wearing Havaianas....)
I think I read someone said it reminded him of body odour. I got that too, but it's by no means a criticism. The overall effect is to give an earthy, sour quality to the blackcurrants, that makes it seem more like real life. I don't get the fir/conifer smell too much (or much else actually) that everyone else gets. The body odour/earthy part also makes it a very sexy scent, in my opinion. I'm not an expert, but I would say it doesn't develop very much, except that I can smell a little vanilla in there right at the end before it vanishes. Lasts 6-7 hours on me, with quite soft sillage.
For me it's not really "enchanted", it's very in-your-face human. The image I get is of a person on a long walk in the country, on a hot summer's day, sweat on skin, hiking shorts, T-shirt, walking deeper into a wood (ok I got influenced by the name..) with some kind of opportunistic sexual motive. I would wear this if I was in the habit of having illicit trysts in the woods (I'm not in the habit of that at all), and unlike many other reviewers, I would wear it outdoors, in summer, if I was walking, working in the garden or doing some kind of manual work. It's one of those I think I'd only wear rarely, but I like it enough to buy a bottle, so it's going straight on my "want" list.
July 2015
Later edit. I decided that I am still in two minds as to how often I would really wear this, so I decided to get another small sample before investing in a bottle.
21st July, 2015 (last edited: 22nd July, 2015)
Not for me I'm afraid. Too sweet and fruity, and as someone who pretty much lives in the forest, my nose doesn't pick up any of the pine I'm afraid. It may be in there, but on me, it's swamped by the berry notes.

Of good quality, so it can't be faulted for that, but as a fellow, I'll take my foresty notes a bit more dry and demonstrative.
10th July, 2015

Add your review of Enchanted Forest

Shop for Enchanted Forest products online

Shop for Enchanted Forest at online perfumeries

Member images of Enchanted Forest

There are no member images of Enchanted Forest yet. Why not be the first?