Olympic Rainforest (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseOlympic Orchids
PerfumerEllen Covey

About Olympic Rainforest

Olympic Rainforest is a shared / unisex perfume by Olympic Orchids. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ellen Covey

Reviews of Olympic Rainforest

Much as I have relied on Scent Detective's reviews to guide me in building my conifer-based armoire, this one is dead to me. Very strong sense-memories of that orange sawdust stuff they used to sprinkle on my classmates' vomit in primary school in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Gets a little citric-cedar-y after the first hour, like how a Flintstone's Chewable Vitamin used to taste in the 80's. If you ground up and snorted one.
12th June, 2018
An excellent green fragrance that is natural smelling in the way essential oil perfumes are. I'm surprised to see sword ferns listed as a note, as I've come to understand that ferns don't have a scent, which led to the whole fougere fragrance genre's creation. Anyway, this does have coniferous notes, which I absolutely love, but it also has the undergrowth vibe, complete with just a hint of mustiness, which must come from the mushroom. There is also a slightly sweet note which I assume comes from beebalm and the florals. Performance is of a shorter duration than I typically like, but I would love to have a bottle of this one.
28th August, 2017
This is a beauty. Dry, resinous, coniferous. Excellent. The spruce and fir are immediately apparent. The coniferous notes are so bright they are like eucalyptus. The mushroom and earthy undergrowth notes are a nice background, as are green notes of leaf and moss. There is a gorgeous woody dry-down. A complete winner in my opinion.
04th August, 2016
This is pure memory for me. I am walking in the woods near my home growing up, in Durham, NC. The minty note reminds me of picking mint leaves with friends to add to the tea we made by soaking tea bags in cold water in large glass jugs, the bags of tea suspended by the strings wrapped around a twig laid over the opening - thinking back, we perhaps might have considered cheesecloth to keep out flying pests, but we were 7 or 8 years old and we played in creeks and thought we were invincible.

The mint is joined with the smell of forest undergrowth, which in NC is dominated by yellow and white pine, and a multitude of other conifers and hardwoods. Virginia cedarwood ran everywhere and ferns were in bunches, as were daffodils and other colorful flowers that can survive the sparse sunlight available in a forest. Pine needles scented trails, and sap dripped on everything from both pine and gumball trees. Then, there was the fungi - and the moss! It was everywhere and so many varieties! Thankfully, we had been taught well enough that most was poisonous, or I am certain I'd have died from having attempted to eat some of it!

But, I digress - I am reviewing a scent, after all. This is not something you wear for compliments, or for others. In fact, you may not wear it at all - for me, this is a feeling - a story - a memory. It's certainly nice, and evocative of place and time. This is a good thing. It's more than a perfume - it's a scent.
17th May, 2016
I see that this has been less than well received by those before me.
There is enough of a rebel in me to be contraire.
My first wearing of this had me think, Oh!! That is familiar. My second wearing caused me to recognise a few things. At opening this is most intriguing. It is indeed a very clear picture of molds, mosses, fungi, regenerating fir needle floor of the Pacific Region Forest. This is fleeting as it settles into a base of Herbs, Lichen and and Wood.
13th January, 2016 (last edited: 21st September, 2017)
This review from a girl who likes to wear masculine scents. A woodsy-piney fragrance that might have appeal (for me) if it weren't for that wintergreen-ish note, which makes it a non-starter in my book. There's a kind of flavored-tobacco note in there somewhere, too. At a certain point, all I could think of was the pharmacy aisles of my youth, where the smell of chewing gum mingled with pouch tobacco. Evocative, yes, but not how I want to smell myself.
17th August, 2015

Add your review of Olympic Rainforest

Shop for Olympic Rainforest products online

Member images of Olympic Rainforest

There are no member images of Olympic Rainforest yet. Why not be the first?