Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle (2013)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle information

Year of Launch2013

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerBruno Jovanovic
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bruno Jovanovic

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle fragrance notes

Reviews of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

Ultra- gourmand take on sandalwood- the feel is indeed that of a cup of black, strong, slightly smoky tea with some spicy speculoos at its side, as Victoria of Bois de Jasmin suggests in her review. Nutmeg, clover, cinnamon, saffron- which, I find, gives a leathery, softly metallic undertone to fragrances- compliment the caramelized, roasted nuts facets of sandalwood.
Complex and rich as it is in the opening, it becomes quickly quite flat and boring, resting on a thick base of some widely used aromachemical that smooths away all the complexities.
30th May, 2015
JimmyP Show all reviews
I revisited this fragrance recently and was surprised by how much I liked it. I had a brief encounter with it when it first came out, but at that time I moved on to other things and kinda forgot about it.

This time around, I got to wear it a little bit and found it very interesting and different, but yet within Frederick Malle's range, if that makes sense. A great scent! A little on the formal side and is definitely capable of making a solid statement on behalf of wearer. I really enjoy the vanilla-clove accord here.
06th May, 2015 (last edited: 12th May, 2015)
Dries Van Noten is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. I've been through two samples and half a travel mini of it trying to figure out why it is not pushing any of my buttons when – on the face of it – it should have been a slam dunk for me. After all, I am a fan of many of the Editions de Parfums de Frederic Malle, I love sandalwood and creamy gourmands, and I happen to be a massive fan of the work of the designer Dries Van Noten. But I keep coming back to the same conclusion: Dries Van Noten just doesn’t smell as exceptional or as unusual as you might expect from a perfume that costs €190 a bottle.

In particular, there is an unappetizing, quasi-gourmand smell to this that is off-putting to me. Something in the combination of the musk, cashmeran, saffron, and woods brings to mind the oily but also floury smell of ground nuts mixed with spices used as a dry mix for making walnut crescents, a traditional cookie throughout the Balkans, Turkey, and Georgia. Ground walnuts are so popular where I live that most housewives will use them as a replacement for flour in their cakes. This almost savory, mealy smell pervades even the smallest of corner grocery stores. Personally, I find the smell as unexciting as the cookies themselves, which always seem to crumble into an insubstantial dust the moment you lips touch them. Much of Dries Van Noten smells like this to me, hence my lack of enthusiasm.

The vanilla and the woods in the base offer a pleasant creaminess, but to my nose, there is also a very synthetic-smelling surround system at work. The musky, fresh-paint smell I get must be cashmeran, which is not something I find unpleasant per se. But when it is coupled with a sugary cotton candy note (ethyl maltol), it all proves to be one synthetic too far for the delicate sandalwood.

And as a sandalwood lover, the sandalwood note here is a disappointment – it lacks all of the nuanced and varied tones I have grown accustomed to in fragrances such as Bois des Iles and Santal Majuscule. I am far from a Mysore sandalwood snob – I don’t mind if neither the Chanel nor the Lutens I just named contain a single drop of the original Mysore stuff. What I appreciate about those perfumes is that they use an array of notes to suggest the full range of the smell of real Mysore sandalwood – the sweet, the creamy, the slight lactic sourness, green aspects, and rosy notes – thereby making an artistic statement rather than just a grouping together of raw materials. Much has been made of the use of Mysore sandalwood in Dries Van Noten. But since it doesn’t shine in this composition, I wonder why they bothered.

But most of all, I am mystified as to why a designer as eccentric and as bold as Dries Van Noten has been honored by a perfume so essentially boring. I’d understand if his clothes were ‘beige’ or safe, but they are not. Dries van Noten is a daring and much-admired designer who combines ideas from art and architecture with his design approach.

I remember in particular his 2008 Spring/Summer collection, in which he used the colors and aesthetics of Francis Bacon paintings as a starting point for the clothes – all unhealthy flesh tones contrasted with jewel-like blues and greens. The clothes looked strange but also exciting and -gasp! Somebody call Anna Wintour! – wearable. When I fantasize about having the budget for designer clothes, I always think longingly of this particular collection. So, with all the signs of an urbane, world-traveled designer in front of them, why they decided to make his fragrance smell like raw cookie dough mix is a mystery to me.
06th March, 2015
For the first few minutes I just got a lot of wood, and then for about an hour as it developed on my skin, it was almost a dead ringer for the current formulation of L'Heure Bleue EDP! That's not something I ever expect to experience. But it's got a really similar mix of austere and Asian incense-smelling sandalwood plus yeasty, doughy pastry and vanilla. Not an edible gourmand, but leaning that direction in a way that's similarly weird and comforting at the same time.

I didn't get the rose/iris/anise that's in L'Heure Bleue, or any florals, really, and the drydown of Dries is more woody than Guerlain powdery. Yet there's a ton of shared ground at the midpoint of development, at least with my chemistry. It's complex enough that I imagine it smells completely different on others!

The warm ambery vanilla and wood drydown lasts a long time.
21st February, 2015
Erok32 Show all reviews
The opening of this is absolutely amazing; semi-sweet vanilla, almost gourmandish. The drydown is overly powdery and pungent.

I can however appreciate the authenticity of the sandalwood/vanilla opening, and I can see this being coveted by some. Also, I continue to come back to my sample because it's intriguing. This could be a potential future buy.
28th December, 2014 (last edited: 13th January, 2015)
Huge thumbs up. My first couple of applications were in the summer. The timing wasn't right even though it made an indelible impression. Fast forward to December. With a heavier application this not only hits the mark, but goes way beyond. Amazing sillage and longevity! Creamy vanilla, gourmand like a Belgian pastry just as advertised. Beautiful undertones of saffron, sandalwood, and a balmy affect pull it all together into a concoction that will make your significant other want to eat you up. Perfect with a cozy wool sweater for either sex. Lots of compliments on this one. If you're not comvinced at first, give it a couple of wearings.....it will grow on you. Top five Holiday fragrances of all time!
10th December, 2014

Add your review of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

Shop for Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle products online

Search Amazon for Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

Member images of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

There are no member images of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle yet. Why not be the first?

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle News