Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle (2013)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle information

Year of Launch2013

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerBruno Jovanovic
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bruno Jovanovic

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle fragrance notes

Reviews of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle

This is a statement piece of a fragrance, with longevity and fineness aplenty. I have worn this every day at times (suitable for office) and also gone through times where I wear it when I want someone to slightly notice I am wearing something luscious. It's not overwrought. It has everything I like about my grandfather wearing cologne -- masculine, strong, enduring, and not too fussy or prim.
14th August, 2017
So, that sweetened evaporated milk note from Angel mixed with very artificial-smelling chocolate musk. There's an iris richness in the background, but it smells more weird than luxurious, and it's all quite salty. Add to that a dollop of isobutavan, that chemical that's usually mixed with cheap vanilla to give it hints of smoky nuts and creme soda. Paired up against Van Noten's backdrop, it just adds to the weirdness, like disembodied nutty smoke over that odd musky milk. Oh, and the whole thing kind of also smells like molten plastic.

So there. I hated this every time I smelled it for years before finally trying it on. And now I'm just confused. Giving it a few full wears, I no longer dislike it for its weirdness, but I still dislike it for using its weirdness in such a thinly transparent attempt at being "important art." This is trying so hard to be a museum piece that it's not fun or warm and the only thing it really evokes is a sense of its own self-importance. In all, I can't down-vote a perfume for being too artsy, especially after down-voting literally hundreds of perfumes for NOT being artsy enough, so I'm voting thumbs up. But I don't think I'm going to wear this very much now that I've finished writing my review...
11th July, 2017
How gorgeous!

Citrus, pear, vanilla, balm, spices. Love at first sniff! Longevity is great. Sillage is average. I need a full bottle already!
29th April, 2017
Vanilla pods and saffron steeped in milk, wafer biscuits, rice pudding, eggnog, zabaglione - all these could be positive associations, especially for lovers of lactonic gourmands. It's possible that some people might even want to actually smell like one of the above custardy confections (although I'm not one of them).
Much less do I want my wrists smelling of a baby's breath when it's just finished breastfeeding.

DVN does have an accord of skin at times - there's saffron and a faint rubbery note in common with L'AP Skin On Skin and a furriness that's also present in Dzing! These are, once more, positive associations.

But then there it is again - milk-sweet babybreath, except this time the baby's on the changing mat with a damp diaper.

I'll be the one in the shower.
M.Malle, you disappoint me.
26th April, 2017
Galanthus Show all reviews
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Skins in Rotterdam offered me a sample of Dries van Noten par Frederic Malle. I didn't like it at all, reminds me too much of beer since i am not a huge fan of it i wouldn't buy a fragrance that smells that way. I am quite sure that more people will agree with me on this one. Pretty expensive niche fragrance from Dries van Noten glad that i only got a sample of it. Because smelling like beer is IMHO not so sexy.
24th February, 2017
So tonight I tried Dries Van Noten by Frederic Malle. I applied one full spray to my left hand and the inside of my left elbow. I'm telling you that I almost scrubbed it off, lol. Big alcohol & citrus on the open, mainly lemon to my nose and then shortly after get some of the saffron and Jasmine popping through. I know there is Musk in there too, and the mix gave me a barnyard smell. It was here that I was so tempted to scrub it, but after 30 min or so I got more musk and jasmine and it's much more tolerable almost creamy smelling, but not great...just more tolerable.

I've been enjoying musk fragrances for a few weeks now, but this one is completely different. Not a sharp animalic musk, but softer which I'm assuming is due to the jasmine and Santal mysore popping through after about an hour. Says there's vanilla but I'm not getting much of it yet and I'm about an hour in. Okay, I walked away from the computer for about 40 minutes and I must say that I'm getting much more vanilla and the musk is still going strong, and I'm really digging it, and I find it far less if at all creamy, which I didn't really care for. The wife, well...she hates it, no surprise there. I'm curious as to how long the musk will hang around? I'll report back later in the evening or tomorrow on the longevity of the musk and the overall fragrance.

If I were to buy a bottle of this, I'd not leave the house until this fragrance hits it mid note stride. All in all I'm not sure if this is full bottle worthy...maybe a decant so that I can spend some more time with it, but I'm glad I didn't scrub it off. As far as projection, a little goes a long way, so be careful. I'll report back on longevity tomorrow, as I said earlier.

EDIT: Over a month has passed and I've completely squeezed every drop of juice from my FM sample of Dries Van Noten. I have fallen for this fragrance since my initial assessment of it. So much so, that a 100ml bottle of it arrives at my home tomorrow. What's changed, you ask? The alcohol that I detected in the open must have been a fluke that helped to taint my enjoyment of the opening, now I just get the citrus, saffron and a touch of jasmine. The initial creaminess of this juice was off putting at first, but now I quite enjoy it. I'm also getting more sandalwood in the base and throw in the hints of musk and the warm vanilla, well I love it. Changing my rating to "Thumbs Up", but I'd certainly recommend sampling this before buying.
15th April, 2016 (last edited: 10th June, 2016)

Add your review of Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle