Lys du Desert (2012)

HouseDecennial
PerfumerAndy Tauer
Parent CompanyLuckyScent

About Lys du Desert

Lys du Desert is a shared / unisex perfume by Decennial. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Andy Tauer

Lys du Desert fragrance notes

Reviews of Lys du Desert

Strange but nice smelling fragrance. Initially seems like the notes don't gel well, then all of a sudden you have a nice beverage smell. You may think by the first smell that this would be nice in the warmer weather. Don't be fooled though. It can be slightly cloying if overspayed. Overall, I like it. 6.5/10
24th September, 2015
"Early September..."

-Come on, it's getting late.
-Gimme a couple of minutes. I wanna savour this dazzling mixture a bit more.
-What dazzling mixture?
-The one created by sand, sunscreen, iodine, sweat and brine...
-Are you nuts? It's been two weeks since we've returned from the island! We're in the city center!
-Then why do I smell it?
-Because I'm wearing it!

Most Greeks and everyone who has spent a single summer day in a crowded Greek beach, will know exactly what I'm talking about.
23rd October, 2014
I smelled Lys du Désert when it was first released and not long after I first sampled Orange Star.  The similarities seemed apparent. The salty, umami ambergris note in Orange Star radiates from Lys du Désert as well. The two also share a mid-range sweetness, not sugary, not resinous. Mmmmm… Candied Skin™. The real point of comparison, though, is the mood. Both have a tidal quality, ebbing and flowing almost imperceptibly.

The first scent of each is thick and enveloping. It's blanketing, and fills your nose and upper respiratory tract the way a drop of oil on paper infuses and becomes part of the paper’s structure. Both Lys and Orange Star play a bit of hide and seek. They seem to disappear or fade about 15 minutes after I apply them.   Soon, whiffs of the perfume return, strong in scent but elusive in location. Is it still on my wrist? Is it just behind me? Is it somewhere else in the room?   Or has it, as with the oil on paper, somehow become a part of my respiratory tract and my sense of it is internal?

The other shoe dropped for me when I smelled Lys du Désert again after having tried Noontide Petals. Lys du Désert is the bridge from Orange Star to Noontide Petals, and makes perfect sense.  Imagine the musky rose of Noontide Petals without aldehyde ‘wings’.  Without the lift from the aldehydes, Lys du Désert doesn't sing with quite the angelic range (read: castrati soprani) of Noontide Petals. Not one whit less beautiful, desert Lily is more of an Earth Angel.

LuckyScent were lucky indeed to get this fragrance. I don’t mean any disrespect in pointing out the similarities of these perfumes. Art deserves to be discussed in terms of an artist’s body of work, and a perfume resembling its immediate predecessor as well as the one that would eventually follow it is the sign of a creative mind bubbling away.  And though Andy Tauer doesn’t seem the type to spike the ball after a touchdown, three winners in a row is nothing to sneeze at.

I’m not a perfumer, and I’m not versed in the construction of perfume. I can’t speak to the simplicity or complexity of the construction of any of these perfumes. But as a perfume wearer, I recognize that the the legibility of these perfumes enhances the experience of wearing them. Clarity and intelligibility don’t often equate with effortlessness, and the chance to see how an artist works with ideas he’s honed to their essentials is a pleasure.
19th June, 2014
drseid Show all reviews
We've Got A Weird One Here...

I usually start my reviews with an assessment of the individual notes I detect that drive the scent's development on skin... I can't do that here as Lys du Desert is so well-blended I can't really detect individual notes. So what does it smell like? That too is a difficult question to answer as it is pretty unique.

The best way I can describe it is a powdery cross between natural orange soda and a real root beer float. If that does not sound very appealing, well, in truth it isn't. It *is* quite different though, and having worn Lys du Desert to work I find it is not as difficult to wear as I expected. I can safely say it is not my kind of scent at all (as none of the Tauer compositions are to date), but if my descriptor meshes with your own tastes better, Lys du Desert is a very well-made scent that may be worth a sniff. It has above average projection and excellent longevity at about 10-12 hours on skin.

The bottom line is I can only give Lys du Desert a generous "good" rating of 3 out of 5 stars, since I just don't care to smell like a walking orange-spiked powdery root beer float... Whatever floats *your* boat, however, will determine if this one is a good fit for your own tastes...

Edit: Having now worn Jardins d'Armide by Oriza L. Legrand I now have found another fragrance that smells quite similar to this one. Whether that is a good thing depends on your love for Tauer compositions (or lack thereof).

Pros: Excellent Performance metrics; superb blending.
Cons: Very strange stuff that is unappealing to wear.
19th September, 2013 (last edited: 13th December, 2013)

Add your review of Lys du Desert

Shop for Lys du Desert products online

Member images of Lys du Desert

There are no member images of Lys du Desert yet. Why not be the first?