Gris Montaigne (2013)

HouseChristian Dior
PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Gris Montaigne

Gris Montaigne is a feminine perfume by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer François Demachy

Gris Montaigne fragrance notes

Reviews of Gris Montaigne

Stardate 20170622:

A masculine Rose Patchouli floral that does not smell like traditional Rose Patchouli.
There is a grape soda accord too which perhaps adds that je ne sais quoi.
Lasts long and is very safe.
22nd June, 2017
Dior Gris Montaigne is a sharp, powdery, floral. I definitely detect something floral beyond the rose in the note breakdown, but I can't emphasize enough that it is very powdery and I'm not sure why, as there's no iris or tonka, for example. Still, there's a freshness of bergamot but a heavy-handed use of rose in the opening and heart.

Patchouli comes out more the dry down in concert with some sandalwood and cedar to smooth things over, and I'm afraid I don't get any amber out of this, even after several hours on skin.

Certainly Gris Montaigne is mainly feminine-leaning, but I'm sure plenty of men would be comfortable pulling this off. For me, though, it's not my type of powdery fragrance, as I tend to be pretty selective on how much powder I'll tolerate and when. I think it would be fine for most women, though.

Performance is very good, and overall this leans slightly to cold weather but it could be year-round, just not viable for the extreme heat.

Again, might be nice for women and some men but not a winner on my skin.

6 out of 10
03rd March, 2017
Kaern Show all reviews
Someone has nailed it -- a 'grey chypre' easily worn by a man. The opening is a little feminine being a stunning citric and jasmine mix.

Peculiarly, it is also one of those fragrances ( like Sel de Vetiver) that drift in and out and where the projection is much stronger than you are personally experiencing.

The drydown is both sweet and mossy. Wearing in the Autumn would be a dream.
Quite beautiful.
08th August, 2016
In my opinion, not only feminine ...

It has something very sweet "à la mode" (there is strawberry), but not only - there are the rose, the bergamote and it's spicy - for me it's very addictive and very sophisticated.
It reminds me of something luxurious in the winter (with lot of snow).
After all this, something masculine remains ... sweet and spicy (sexy).

I first tested it on a paper, that I left between two pages of my Debussy scores. It still smells more than one year after ! It's amazing. I've never seen that.

On me it's VERY long lasting (>24h on skin and several days on clothes) and I have to be careful not to put to much, because of the sillage.

Something very unique.
20th April, 2016
This is one of those perfumes that combines all sorts of complex flowers and fruits and somehow ends up smelling like watered-down purple fake-grape Gatorade. Given time, it's joined by vanilla and pink pepper and freshly-sawed lumber, but the overall effect is always fruity and sweet and artificial. This is also one of those perfumes that achieves a sort of 3-d cloud effect where it smells weak on the skin, but simultaneously billows out lots of sillage (you know, the way Aventus does).

I was fully prepared to pan Gris Montaine for being intentionally inoffensive and relying on on that cliched grape drink smell and dumb vanilla drydown, but I've never gotten so many compliments - people on the street, everywhere, told me how great I smelled (which almost NEVER happens to me) so I guess that has to earn this perfume enough points to soften my hardened heart and earn a thumbs up for being such a crowd-pleaser.
06th October, 2015
With GM, I get a dark grape or fruit vibe. Must be the rose jasmine and bergamot combo in this one. Unisex indeed, even though it's noted as a feminine fragrance. While at the boutique, I sprayed New Look 1947 and Gris Mintaigne on the same card. Now that was a fragrance. I would give GM 7/10
17th March, 2015

Add your review of Gris Montaigne

Shop for Gris Montaigne products online

Search Amazon for Gris Montaigne

Member images of Gris Montaigne

There are no member images of Gris Montaigne yet. Why not be the first?