Memoirs of a Trespasser (2012)
    by Imaginary Authors

Average Rating:

Memoirs of a Trespasser Fragrance notes

Madagascar vanilla, Guiacwood, Myrrh, Benzoin, Ambrette seed, Oak barrels

Memoirs of a Trespasser information

Memoirs of a Trespasser is a unisex fragrance by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2012

Reviews of Memoirs of a Trespasser

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Memoirs of a Trespasser opens with a really pleasant, radiant, dusty and sweetish accord of amber and incense with vanilla, perhaps aniseed or licorice, and an odd but comfy and mellow breeze of something like sugar – that same kind of dry, dusty and silky sweetness - on a darker base with a tiny animalic hint, almost unperceivable but providing a nice dark shade on the base (it may also be some benzoin, or a dark and dry wood, or also simply a darker note of ambrette). A synthetic and quite simple texture as it seems typical in US contemporary perfumery these days, but nice and pleasant, versatile and inoffensive, quite safer than it may appear – it's basically a woody-amber scent dry and sweet with a really aromatic breeze ranging from green to grey. Not amazing but nice enough to wear, and with also a remarkable persistence.

6,5-7/10

10th September, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

It dries down to a nice woody vanilla, but you have to wade through a bunch of odd notes to get there, and at the end of the day, I am not sure that the payoff is good enough. It opens on a weird pairing of what seems to be an intensely sweet candy note, like candyfloss, the bitter rind of either a grapefruit or an orange, and raw wood. There is also a musky feel to it, from the ambrette seeds, which combines with the raw plank of wood smell to conjure up a sort of ghost note of vetiver (to my nose, at least). The first half of this, therefore, smells like musky, raw woods, with a candied grapefruit rind note. I don't get any vanilla.

Halfway through, there is a truly skanky moment, like smelling a spot on your arm that someone has licked. It is still a predominantly woodsy smell, but there is now a flat, stale note like dried saliva. Not enjoyable, not even to a lover of animalics like me. Also, the ambrette seeds add not only muskiness but also a note of alcohol, like grappa, which I also noticed in Chanel No. 18, where it used to great effect when paired with rose and iris. But here, the high-pitched whirl of alcohol combines with the raw woods to create a type of wood rubbing solvent smell.

The vanilla, once you finally get to it, is nice but quite synthetic in feel. It is quite sheer and diaphanous a vanilla, not heavy or creamy. People describe this one as a smoky vanilla, but I would describe it more as woodsy or boise vanilla. I know it is very popular around here, but I neither like nor understand it. To me, this is not a proper vanilla.

18th August, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

On the initial spray I was not such a big fan. Got a slight skankiness the first 5 minutes. After that the fragrance morphed into a great gourmand. A nice woody vanilla which is very unique. 8.5/10

03rd August, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

Wow this is gorgeous and complex!

On first application to my skin I'm getting a wonderful smoky woods and dried vanilla. And I have to say it smells absolutely great.

Shortly after a melody of different resins, amber, spices interact with the main smoky vanilla and woods. This slightly changes the smell so every-time you take a sniff your picking up something new.

As it dries down you can smell a resinous Mryhh note mixing in with the dried vanilla. And even at this stage you will be picking up different nuances to the scent.

I have to say I'm so impressed with this wonderful fragrance that I will be buying a full bottle.

Nine out of Ten.

17th June, 2014

Tonyprince's avatar

Excellent

I'm not usually a gourmand fan nor am I somebody who wants to walk around smelling of cake batter, so I don't usually go for vanilla fragrances. This one is a great exception for me. The vanilla and the ambrette seeds blend very nicely with the oak-like note to create a very comforting fragrance that lasts all day and blends very well with my natural sweat so that I catch it later in the day and think, "What is that? Is that me? I really smell good!" Definitely one to check out.

Pros: Not too sweet, good balance of vanilla and wood (oak)
    Cons:

10th June, 2013

teardrop's avatar

England England

Top-notch Vanilla.

A deliciously boozy, woody vanilla with plenty of smoke in the drydown, & l loves me a bit of smoke! There isn't much development other than that, but there doesn't need to be. This is one of the loveliest vanillas l've tried; not too cupcake-sweet, but comforting & addictive. The projection is moderate, & it lasts a good five hours before fading. Recommended for vanilla lovers of both genders.

07th June, 2013