Memoirs of a Trespasser (2012)
by Imaginary Authors

Memoirs of a Trespasser information

Year of Launch2012

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About Memoirs of a Trespasser

Memoirs of a Trespasser is a shared / unisex perfume by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Meyer

Memoirs of a Trespasser fragrance notes

Reviews of Memoirs of a Trespasser

If you've never tried or sampled an Americana niche fragrance, I'd highly recommend Imaginary Authors. While some of their offerings don't fit my particular taste, I do find wearing their scents to be an immensely interesting experience. I particularly like how most of these fragrances evoke an atmosphere, and they really deserve to be given several full wearings to reveal their many nuances and ccomplexity.

MoaT by Imaginary Authors is a very unique and interesting fragrance that really distinguishes itself as an excellent example of this genre.  MoaT is difficult to classify, as the notes seem to drift between sweet leather, smokey vanilla and powdery woods throughout the duration, but the totality of scents, I found very enjoyable.

The opening is confectionary sweet, almost plum candy like, with faint hints of an almond, almost Amaretto liquor scent. It's different, but not the "cotton candy" that other reviews mention. I find it to be much deeper and richer than mere carnival treats. The sweetness slowly gives way to the vanilla and leathery heart.  The vanilla is of the light, powdery substance, so it's not a heavy scent, and wears easily. The smokey note and sweet top notes linger just enough in the background to keep the composition interesting. The final dry down loses the leather and is mostly a soft woods-vanilla, but still quite pleasant.

MoaT isn't a sillage monster, nor a heavy or difficult fragrance to wear. Would make a great cold weather option. Average longevity. I have a nice size sample and will try this one again in cooler conditions. I really like it and it's an easy Thumbs Up.
10th September, 2015
This fragrance is not just a resinous take on vanilla but is far more, imo. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser unfolds by soon its cozy/comforting temperament in terms of extremely resinous stuff. There is some green-herbal earthiness and almost liturgical smokiness but the aroma is mostly about seasoned resins, "sweet woods" and benzoinic vanilla with a secret touch of spicy-silky leather "on the dark back side". In particular the not listed leather is something dodgy and smooth that my investigating nose is able to catch somewhere in the blend. I actually detect indeed a sort of "Indie-Slumberhousesque" kind of sticky-sugary/bitter accord of leather, benzoin, "perfumed woods", beeswax, tobacco and a touch of mossiness (Jeke, Baque and Sova jump vaguely on mind). I detect furthermore the typical Memo's smooth accord of soft leather, resins, vanilla and aromatic musks that I get for instance in Italian Leather. Resins in here are seriously warm and kind of organic on my skin while gaiac wood (joined with tobacco/vanille) provides "ambiental" roundness. The juice smells/looks really oily on me and there is in the general perception something pleasantly sticky and rubbery-amberish with a tad of dirty/acid dissonance. I get also a sort of cozy elicited atmosphere all around the wearer, something conjuring antique books, fireplaces, refined tobacco (kind of vanilla flavoured tobacco), old-style wooden fornitures, some fine scotch whisky and leather. Gradually the warm-animalic resins slightly recede in intensity while vanilla starts jumping on the stage with its charge of spicy-seasoned flavour and dark-smokey warmth. Anyway the main accord of ambrette seeds as joined with something waxy-honeyed and spicy-resinous (a touch of frankincense?) is responsible about the seriously thick and massive (though finally smooth) general consistency. I get the connection with scents a la Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and Mona di Orio Vanilla (I get also several "conjurarions" about the Amouage Interlude Man/Jacques Zolty by Zolty's dry down with its resinous dusty-herbal and weirdly woodsy-mineral backbone) but in here the aroma is pleasantly peculiar and finally warmer (a warmth about fur, soft leather and woods). A really dark and sensual resinous fragrance. I see a rich gorgeous accord of resins, balsams, tobacco and leather with perfect balance, the fairest level of sweetness, a well calibrated touch of spices and a great amount of multifaceted mystic elegance. The synthetic dimension is never beyond the average. Finally I weirdly detect (in the middle of resins and musks) a sort of aromatic-anisic stormy undertone a la Spazio di Krizia Uomo and a pencil shavings vibe a la Montana Graphite. A beautiful little creation with a touch of nostalgic "old-fashion".

P.S: dry down is less intensely leathery-resinous and more woody-cedary.
03rd September, 2015 (last edited: 04th September, 2015)
Upon initial application, I was unsure as to how this might unfold - would I want to lick my hand to experience what was sure to taste like cotton candy, or did I want to wash my hand to get the scent of overly-sweet cloying candy off my hand?

Well, it turns out, neither! Thankfully, that initial burst passed me over, and I'm ok now.

This is not a "mature" amber - it isn't elegant, nor is it trying to be. It's kinda unassuming. It's college-kid, kickin' it old-skool amber/resin/woody/vanilla. It's affordable, it's pleasant, and it's unpretentious. It's also better than a lot of other fumes that claim to be in the resin/woody/vanilla category.

Is it sweet? Well, yea! It's supposed to be! I get more of a dusty/dry/old sweet scent rather than cloying in the drydown, though. If my entire experience were based upon that initial application, I'd have never finished the review, as I'd have either eaten my hand (sound familiar?) or been blue-brushing my hand.

Not sure if I'll commit to a full bottle myself, as I have a lot of ambers, and am still collecting more, however, if I were in the market for a signature scent, and I only had $85 to spend, I might give this serious contemplation. It's really a good perfume!

I'm sure I'm ready to commit...this is some seriously good stuff, and I think if I buy it, I won't be so haunted by that sample - it seems to be calling to me...better get that order in before others start hearing it too...that could get weird.
24th August, 2015 (last edited: 29th August, 2015)
Top note of overwhelmingly sweet sherbet, jelly beans and cream soda in a rubbery bubblegum flavour condom. Eventually calms down to a softer version of the above with a puff of baby powder and a waft of incense. Smells like a 4 year old's idea of perfume. Not sure what to do with it or when I'd wear it.
08th August, 2015
First Basenotes review, after reading many...

Memoirs of a Trespasser is a pleasant mix of vanilla and several spices. The anise and myrrh were most noticeable, the latter reminding me of some Catholic occasions.

I found the vanilla more prominent in the opening and less prominent in the dry down than some of the other reviewers. with the spices being pretty consistent throughout. The dry down brings it to a powdery state but still pleasant, similar to Eau des Baux by L'Occitane. I probably prefer Eau des Baux slightly as it's a little more agreeable in its spices, but EDB is still a good comparison for longevity and a vanilla/spice combination. There's a looser similarity to Tobacco Vanille,

Longevity is very good, even bearing in mind that it is an EDP---still detectable from about a foot away after 8 hours and a skin scent through 14+ hours, with a shower about 6 hours in.

This is the first sample I've tried of Imaginary Authors, and it's a very good fall/winter scent, probably more during the day than night. I'm looking forward to trying some of IA's' other fragrances.

And while most of IA's fragrances seemed to be designated unisex, this leans toward the masculine side.

8 out of 10
27th January, 2015 (last edited: 05th February, 2015)
Memoirs of a Trespasser is a very earthy/woody/smoky vanilla and myrrh. At first spray I smelled vanilla right away. Not the usual vanilla cake mix vanilla, but a smoky/woody vanilla. As it dried down I smelled myrrh which I love and a mix of wood. Very nice fragrance that I will treasure.

22nd January, 2015

Add your review of Memoirs of a Trespasser

Shop for Memoirs of a Trespasser products online

Search Amazon for Memoirs of a Trespasser

Member images of Memoirs of a Trespasser

There are no member images of Memoirs of a Trespasser yet. Why not be the first?