Plum Japonais (2013)

SupplierGivaudan
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Plum Japonais

Tom Ford describes this fragrance as a "lush and unconventional mélange of exotic Asian ingredients. Rich and luxurious, it is a fragrance with irresistible complexity."

Plum Japonais fragrance notes

Reviews of Plum Japonais

Fruity plum, but not candy or edible. It does strike me as a whole fragrance instead of a scent, if that makes sense. Its got quite a bit of cinamin and pine in the opening as well, which goes into a sort of spicy incense accord. It smells rich, opulent. As it dries down, say about hour three it smells like smoky "oud" or leather to me, and the fruit is all but gone. Nothing approaches harsh or irritating smelling. It smells of quality through and through.
Reminds me in the opening as having a similar feel to Jubilation XXV. Plum and blackberry are both dark fruity in a similar way. But as they dry down they smell nothing alike. The drydown of this one has the same candle smoke scent that Dior Homme Parfum has in its base. This final phase lasts.
This is an interesting fragrance that smells really good in all phases. While I'm not really all about the chemical that makes that drydown smell, I do not begrudge its use. Many find it pleasing. An overall constructed fragrance that seems to be more composed than many of the Private Blends I've tried. Thumbs up.
31st October, 2019
I definitely like this one. I had the opportunity to travel to Japan for work last year, that trip (and the plum wine and awamori we drank) hold a place in my heart. This definitely has a nice plum note, it doesn't immediately bring umeshu to mind but it's still delicious. Plum Japonais is also surprisingly spicy. Fragrantica has this labeled for women currently, however to me it's wholly unisex, I'd even say it leans masculine.

The combination of fruit and spices actually reminds me less of Japan and more of two of my favorite "Arabian style" dried-fruit/spice fragrances: Serge Lutens' Arabie and Zoologist Camel. All three have fruit, spices and animalic/oud notes. However, each has their unique strength among those notes that comes through. For this it's definitely the plum, as the name suggests. Doesn't have the greatest longevity but neither do the two others I've mentioned. With this being on the higher level pricing tier for Tom Ford, I don't think I'll ever get a full bottle, but its really nice to try.
12th September, 2019
This one came highly recommended. So it must be my skin chemistry (just like the pineapple in Aventus comes out like cat's piss on me).
It may be unisex but its so soft and creamy it immediately conjures up a voluptuous female with impeccable class and taste. If I smelt this on me and on my clothes it would start to irritate me with the politically correct nuances surrounding this type of fragrance. Toxic masculinity?! Why not ask women what they want. No lady wants a metrosexual male. The PC lobby should be hounded out of the village borders sprayed with this stuff but only after they are made to pay for it. Then the joke's on them.
This does not even stand level with the ankles of Amouage Journey Man. --and there you have it. Amouage know exactly where they are coming from . They use man and woman in their titles appropriate to the fragrance.

Fragrance: 6.75/10
Projection: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7.5.10
17th August, 2019
Ohhhhhh Plum Japonais you are a spicy, naughty little minx. I remember when I first tried you, I thought you were a bit too oudy, a bit too smoky, a bit too spicy, a bit too je ne sais quoi. But you were just teasing me, you little vixen. I was the one who was wrong, not you. You were a star, a diva, a femme fatale, and I was nothing but a boy, a shy, inexperienced boy whose nose had no sense of decorum. But I went away, I smelled, I grew, I changed - I became a man, and I came back to you. And how wrong I was. Will you ever be able to forgive me?

Now I smell the floral sensuality, the deep booziness, the succulent fruitiness, the exotic harmony of saffron and cinnamon that swaddle you in that aura of intrigue, and the dark carnality of oud, resins, and balsams that make you seem so bottomless. Girl, you got stories to tell, you got your sh*t together, you lookin like a slice of fine a la mode, and you ain't takin smack from NOBODY. This is the aroma of a dark eyed beauty you lock eyes with across a smoke filled parlor of a Parisian jazz club, puffing softly at one of those long cigarette holders and delicately tracing a gloved finger along the rim of her martini glass. With a single glance she tells so much but reveals nothing, and when you join her at her table, it feels as if you've known each other forever - everything's already been said. She speaks three languages, she writes postmodernist novels, she's an accomplished playwright. To some she seems haughty, but there's a melancholy behind her eyes that inexorably draws you to her. The night is young, and she proposes that you find someplace quieter to chat. As you open the door, the icy cold winter air wafts in and mingles with her perfume, and in that moment, as the lights of Paris sparkle in the night sky, you know that you're hooked.

Quite unisex, but leaning femme. Performance is great, with powerful projection and sillage but moderate longevity. One of my all time favorites. If you want something that smells truly EXOTIC, give this one a sniff.

23rd June, 2019
A warm sophisticated mulled-plum. Well balanced with other notes - not sweet. Just spicy enough to be interesting but not Christmassy. The florals a brightness and complexity too.

Edit: I don’t know if this has been reformulated but my latest decant (from scent samples) smells much darker than I remember - much closer to framboise noir from shay and blue. Lacks the cleanness of Tom ford for men extreme and is a lot less similar than I previously thought. I get something almost oud-like which I’m not a fan of and I’m sure wasn’t there before. A real shame.
05th March, 2019 (last edited: 14th January, 2020)
Starts with fruit and cinnamon. That only lasts for maybe an hour. The smell of smoke from candles comes in a little later and stays for many hours later. Projection is decent in the beginning but the drydown is close to being a skin scent.

This scent feels rich and expensive throughout but the beginning is a little more playful and casual than the more serious drydown.

While projection isn’t the strongest, the longevity is great, lasting all day.
30th January, 2019

TOM FORD PRIVATE BLEND 12ml PERFUME SPRAY YOU CHOOSE

End Date: Wednesday Jan-29-2020 8:57:10 PST
Buy It Now for only: $33.95

Member images of Plum Japonais

There are no member images of Plum Japonais yet. Why not be the first?