Iris Prima (2013)

PerfumerAlberto Morillas
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Iris Prima

Created by Alberto Morillas for Penhaligon's, in collaboration with the English National Ballet.

Iris Prima fragrance notes

Reviews of Iris Prima

Leontion Show all reviews

Utterly lovely. An ultra sheer watercolour of a fragrance. The bergamot and pepper in the opening departs fairly swiftly to make way for a beautiful powdery iris-dominated floral accord. The middle notes are fairly feminine and evoke face powder and flowers around a heart of softest suede (the Bottega Veneta comparison is apt). The base is more masculine – a restrained resin note and a just a whisper of vanilla to lend a very slight sweetness to the composition.

This is beautifully done. A featherweight veil of fragrance. It is quite unisex – not in a genderless sense but in the sense that the feminine and masculine components come together to complement one another in a seamless way (much as in the ballet).

Fans of Infusion d’Iris and Bottega Veneta should certainly test this. For me, this is far and away the better fragrance. I find both Infusion d’Iris and Bottega Veneta to be fairly linear. Iris Prima has a more distinct development to the fragrance.
05th February, 2015
I smelled it once at a Penhaligon's shop and detected a beautiful, soft and balanced iris suede. So when i got the chance to get it at a decent price, i went ahead and pulled the trigger.

When my FB came, I eagerly sprayed it but then questioned whether it was a tad too soft and hence feminine, especially for work.

And then I came across drmike's review below and his suggestion to try it layered with Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver!

"Ok this might sound heresy but i then tried it with a tiny blast of Tom Ford grey vetiver WOW that combination really is fantastic for a man "

I was doubtful at first, but it works! Now I think I am confident of wearing Iris Prima to work - 3 spritz Iris Prima, with 2 spritz Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.
19th August, 2014
Bottega Veneta-a-like Ballet Bore

What a shame. The kick off is beautiful but within no time the iris (and the interest) is long gone and you're looking at the same long, gentle, featurelss, indistinct stretch of soft, beige-pink suede-ish stuff that also made me dislike Bottega Veneta. The complexity has evaporated and what you're left with is somehow sneakily synthetic in its tone and persistance, like leatherised fabric softener...until it just fades away after an hour or two. I certainly don't pick up on sandalwood or any of the other listed basenotes. Not really my style but many people will read this as subtle, pretty, elegent, restrained, comforting etc and I'm sure Penhalligons will sell tons of it. The scent apparently seeks to capture the spirit of ballet and the promo video (featuring ballet dancers quoting sweat, skin, make-up, hairspray, waxed floorboards under hot lights, dusty theatres, deep heat and tiger balm) had me expecting something far more intersting. To me the only connect to ballet is that it smells like the colour of a ballet shoe. If you're crazy about this you might try Bottega Veneta before you fork out, its much the same but cheaper and longer lasting.

Pros: The first 10 minutes
Cons: The boring rest"

03rd October, 2013
A wonderful restrained balanced scent of iris , amber , sandal and resin very nicely orchestrated

I have to admit i don't like the marketing of this at all. A scent that evokes of the sweat and passion of Ballet etc....and a commercial tie in with the Royal Ballet. in fact I think the video for this perfume is positively off-putting, but I admit did have my curiosity aroused. .So I will ignore all the marketing as it messes your mind up.

There is a spicy warm but restrained opening, i get a an amber/sandal note with an iris accord is not overpowering at all a touch of something slightly peppery. Really very pleasant. There are a few top not aromatics that vanis after about 15 seconds. the dry down is not powdery at all which is great. After 5 minutes the scent is gentle. it wears close to the body. Then there is a slight powder touch, i pick up a resinous note , and the gentle iris floral note floats through. I have use the word restrained as i would not rush to class this a floral scent . everything seems very well balanced. Over time the scent wears down to a lovely deeper woody /amber/resin note still with just that touch of iris. I don't get many of the notes that the marketing lists . I think the advertising is crazy. this is actually a beautiful scent but honestly a scent of the pasion of a ballet dancer is taking the micky too much.
on its own its a great scent , i think even for men, ( Ok this might sound heresy but i then tried it with a tiny blast of Tom Ford grey vetiver WOW that combination really is fantastic for a man ) OK I'm going to date this highly. but I am interested in other thoughts.Does this evoke the scent of a ballet dancer ?

Pros: So well balanced this could be worn by men as well as women nto too floral, graveful sandal and resinous accords
Cons: the marketing is simply awful. It does not evooke anything to so with ballet in my mind. and retracts from a great scent"

16th September, 2013

Add your review of Iris Prima

Shop for Iris Prima products online

Shop for Iris Prima at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Iris Prima

Member images of Iris Prima

There are no member images of Iris Prima yet. Why not be the first?