Gold Rose Oudh (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseTiziana Terenzi
PerfumerPaolo Terenzi

About Gold Rose Oudh

Gold Rose Oudh is a shared / unisex perfume by Tiziana Terenzi. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Paolo Terenzi

Gold Rose Oudh fragrance notes

Reviews of Gold Rose Oudh

There is a little bridge to cross here – Gold Rose Oudh could easily have come from Montale’s line-up, the oud in particular is familiar from Montale rose-oud pairings. Over it? Ok, then we can talk about this in its own right.
With a name like that, I fully expected GRO to be an ode to olfactory bling. But while it has its tacky and trashy side, it is also a properly realized composition, not just gold-plated posturing.
The power trio at its core is an attar rose, oud that is warm and rounded (as opposed to piercingly dry and spiced-up) and an overdose of patchouli. Chouli-phobes need not fear, however, as the hippy juice here morphs and blends with the other two players rather than asserting itself, offering mainly intensity to the rose’s sweetness and a kind of marzipan-like quality to the proceedings. There’s a light trickle of something honeyed around it all, which weaves in and out of one’s perception. The other main note is a dusty sandalwood aromachemical (also common to many Montales) that comes up from behind into full visibility in the later stages; it works well with the rose and oud, offering stability and a bit of distance to the intensity, so it is not surprising that it is so often used.
Gold Rose Oud is strong, but it does not overpower, it is dense when sniffed up close but not when perceived as part of the perfume’s throw. Ultimately it treads familiar, tried and tested territory, but if it is territory that you haven’t explored before this is as good a place as any to start.
29th January, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
On my skin oud and patchouli are the two dominant players that constitute the dual leitmotif defining this scent and remaining present throughout its whole development. Initially bergamot is added, but it can only provide a bit of initial freshness amongst the two main players. The patchouli is a top-of-the-range, dark, brooding yet well defined patchouli, with a stem-like wood impression and a fairly harsh peppery spiciness, reminding me at some stage of Tom Ford's purple patchouli - just with less violet character. The oud is also dark, deep, rich and so convincing that I wonder whether a touch of the natural stuff might have been added, although given cost and rarity as well as the unholy obsession with laboratory synthesis amongst today's perfume producers that is hardly ever done these days. One lives in hope! The oud is very convincing and of prime quality.

In the drydown a rich, velvety and softly dark Bulgarian rose arises, the third of the main actors on this olfactory can stage. A very good and convincing rose this is indeed.

The drydown keeps up the high standard that is present so far. An ambery impression that is unlike the usual synthetic thin versions of it, and a sandalwood note provide the foundation of the base, with a dark and spicy musk continuing the theme form the beginning. Touches of honeyed and tonka sweetness round off this olfactoric magical tour.

Performance is nigh stellar: strong sillage, great projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

The house of Tiziana Terenzi is truly focusedly niche, but this is the first of their fragrances that I sampled that bears hallmarks of convincing stature: high-quality ingredients, very well blended whilst maintaining structure, and one of the few oud product in that recent deluge that is worth taking seriously. 3.5/5

31st July, 2015
This fragrance is another add to the list of oud, rose and patchouli combo (something like Montale Black Oud as a good example) with exactly the same DNA and smell but something here is different and that's very heavy dose of patchouli that stays strong all the way through.

The opening is a very pungent and kind of aromatic patchouli note along with some oud, very soft rose in the background and small dose of sweetness.
If you've tested many oud plus rose based fragrances, the opening will be something completely familiar to your nose but as I said patchouli here dominating completely over the scent.

As time passes oud is almost gone, patchouli settles down a little bit but still it's the dominating note while rose gets stronger and scent gets sweeter in vanilla/amber way.
Smells fine and in my opinion more masculine than "Black Oud" because of stronger and more earthy patchouli note but it's still something the same.
There is nothing new and different about it.
Projection is strong and longevity is 8-10 hours easy on the skin.
17th April, 2015
Bergamot, Fir, Ember, Sand Accord.
Rose, Patchouli, Black Pepper.
Oudh, Amber, Sandalwood, Musk, Honey.

After reading numerous reviews, with almost all extolling Gold Rose Oudh to be a top tier player in its genre, I pulled the trigger blind, once again because........well, what else could I do? Should I have used common sense and obtained a sample first like I always recommend to others? In my case, the answer is yes........but probably not for the reasons you think.

Gold Rose Oudh is a quality Spicy Rose creation, so that's a good thing. On the flip side, Gold Rose Oudh is the same pattern I've smelled time and time again, well made or not. The listed notes are here that I wanted, but the tuning is for a song that simply wouldn't make it to my playlist anymore, well played or not.

I suppose that, in a nutshell, my wearings of Gold Rose Oudh have afforded me the experience of Peppery Rose and Oud. In a genre that has kind of run its course for me, I held out hope that the Amber and Honey would be up front, pronounced and steer this into sweet and slightly feral territory. It was not to be however and as well done as this uncomplicated fragrance is, it's simply another expensive rehash for me.

I get Rose. I get Pepper......and I also get oud. This just so happens to be the variety that morphs into a mild B.O. quality on my skin. It is mild and it takes 30 minutes or longer to come to fruition, but it's there nonetheless. I'm persuaded that others have not had this experience or else they would have said so.

So, I'm bucking the trend here and stating Gold Rose Oudh is a nicely done run-of-the-mill Spicy Rose with woods. Sillage is moderate at best with longevity approximately 4 hours before becoming a close scent. Neutral rating from SS with a strong recommendation to try before you buy.
04th March, 2015
My FIRST FULL BOTTLE of this extrait perfume arrived and I am in love! Standing out from the many other rose oudh perfumes currently on the market, Gold Rose Oudh is wearable and a beautiful entree for anyone wanting to try a floral-rose-oudh perfume.

The initial notes of this perfume are intense chypre with spicy, almost harsh balsam, evergreen, moss, IMHO. I detect bergamot, fir-tree, moss, evergreen & earthy notes that eventually recede but remain throughout the entire application. Within 3-5 minutes, the opening morphs into mid-notes that land HARD. After the initial application, I definitely smell strong notes of oudh, Bulgarian rose, earth, patchouli, moss, woody resins, HONEY & AMBER & DIRT. At times, the middle practically smells fecal & cloying. At times, the mid-notes are DIFFICULT to take, smelling like a sour & moldy, messy mixture.

Stay with the fragrance because the dry-down is where the true magic begins. Becoming perfectly balanced, the dry-down and base notes of this fragrance are lovely. Pulling off what (at times) seems like an impossibility, the entire fragrance DOES settle down into a perfectly balanced mixture of chypre, honey-amber, faint rose, oudh, other woods & musk. Woodsy, musk-y, earthy, creamy, resinous & rich, I also detect some powdery notes during dry-down. I must say the subtly added honey-amber notes, as well as the perfect addition of musk contribute to the balance, warmth and well-rounded, almost creamy ethereal nature of this fragrance. Leaning towards the feminine side, I cannot imagine this perfume on a guy.

Initially uncertain, I am thrilled I purchased a full bottle of Gold Rose Oudh for under $200! If you love oudh & rose fragrances, please give this fragrance time! I am so glad I did! A lighter, somewhat "younger" version and more affordable alternative to Frederic Malle Potrait of a Lady (which I love but $$$$$$), as well as By Killian Rose Oud ($$$$$$$), this fragrance drew me in and I'm glad it did! Gold Rose Oudh DOES have a lot going on but the dry-down is lovely!

I thought for my tastes, I preferred a rose-oud fragrance to be complex but (perhaps) a bit more straight-forward, simplistic and linear in the end than TT Gold Rose Oudh. But I am loving this fragrance a lot!
03rd March, 2015 (last edited: 26th March, 2015)
I’m just going to come out and say it: of all the rose-oud combinations that currently exist (and it is a very crowded field), Rose Gold Oudh by Tiziana Terenzi is by far the best. It is one of those fragrances that is so blindingly good that it makes you want to throw about a dozen bottles out of your collection and start again from scratch. It makes me regret the lesser versions of this genre that I’ve settled for over the last few years. But it also gets me excited about a style (rose-oud-patchouli combinations) that I thought had no gas left in the tank.

The opening is bright with bergamot and has a slightly camphorous, bitter green edge from the fir – it has the effect of snapping you to full attention. The oud used here is dry and woody, with none of the overtly medicinal overtones of the Montale-style oud, and fairly explodes in combination with a fleshy rose and a rich, chocolate-like patchouli. Everything about this central rose-oud-patchouli accord is rich, bright, and vivid - vibrating in all directions. I don’t know what ember is, but there is something very resinous here too that adds a necessary backbone to the whole thing. You get the sense, somehow, that the perfume is alive, as if someone has reached in and finally figured out how to animate the basic skeleton of the rose-oud structure, fluffing it out to its full potential.

I tested it again with Black Aoud on my other wrist, and I can say that the central difference is this: whereas Black Aoud has an impressive start, it drifts off into a soapy-white musk drydown that feels a bit flat and one-dimensional, whereas Rose Gold Oudh stays bright, golden, resinous, rich, and vibrant all the way through, from top to tail. Surprisingly, Rose Gold Oudh is also far more animalic in feel and tone than Black Aoud – and this animalism breathes yet more life into an already ‘alive’ fragrance. The drydown is a gorgeous and pleasant surprise. Unlike many of its peers in this category which drift into a soapy, musky, slightly boring ending (Black Aoud, as mentioned, but also Rose Nacree du Desert, and St. Dupont’s Rose et Oud), Rose Gold Oudh has a drydown characterized by a dry, resinous amber-benzoin combination and warm honey. It’s not the usual place for a rose-oud to end up, but it feels like a very good idea. It is sensual, rounded, ambery and ‘full’ in feel.

In other words, while somebody certainly didn’t stint on the quality of raw materials used in this fragrance, it is also clear that there was a skilled hand here in guiding this fragrance through its transition from its bright, camphorous start to its animalic, rich, woody-rose heart, and then finally into its amber-honey base. In a corner of the crowded rose-oud-patchouli field, someone decided – finally – not to just phone it in. For which I am very glad.
04th December, 2014

Add your review of Gold Rose Oudh

Shop for Gold Rose Oudh products online

Shop for Gold Rose Oudh at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Gold Rose Oudh

Member images of Gold Rose Oudh

There are no member images of Gold Rose Oudh yet. Why not be the first?