Black (2013)

Black information

Year of Launch2013

HouseComme des Garçons

About Black

Black is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2013

Reviews of Black

Good vivisections in the prior reviews of a unique, albeit hardly inscrutable, scent. I'm inclined to say that this is the most successful of CdC's creative efforts. That said, despite owning a bottle, I am hard pressed to to find many suitable occasions to wear this. However, among the ocean of fragrances titled or subtitled "black," this is the only one that I am most convinced would be spot-on ideal for a black tie event. In my case that is only about six or so occasions a year, so this should last quite a while.
28th April, 2015
I imagine myself in the first Temple on the Jerusalem hills watching a sacrifice and being doused with the frankincense and myrrh penetrating from the open air chimneys. My throat warms, the beautifully pungent black pepper chokes my clothes. This is all smoke and churches. Even the drydown is a wonderfully odorous clove and camp fire. Dangerously unusual, evocative and sensual. Grab a bottle of this juice you wont regret it!
23rd April, 2015
Almost categorically black: liqourice, black pepper, black tar, ashes. It's like a child has collected all the black things in the summerhouse. But it works well, the blend is exciting with the liqourice and tar competing for attention, and a hefty dose of dryness from supposedly Iso E Super keeps it fairly transparent and not to heavy.

I have a bottle. Almost never used it, don't know why. While i appreciate it's modern approach i also feel its concept is to shallow.
It's fun to sniff, but i feel it lacks the substance that makes me want to actually use it.
13th April, 2015
for me It starts a spicy.woody.but after a hour its smells like cinnamon mixed with sugar,I think this fragrance is good for women not for men with hair on chest
01st April, 2015
burnt Woods and incense, not so good sillage and duration
17th March, 2015
Comme de Garcons - Black
I wonder why they called this black because it smells just as green.
It opens with a very nice frankincense-note, with a bitter anisic-overtone on top and a soft candlewax-kerosene-note with citrus-undertones. It gets more smoky-tarry amber, sticky labdanum-like and oily-woody cederwood/cypriol, spiced up with some rosemary and black pepper, which altogether smells very potent- very blackish...with a dry-warm and roundish feel to it. But then a greenish, sour, plasticy hairspray-note comes in together with the warmth of melted rubber, that gives this perfume a change of color- it starts acting as a fougere, with a clear green tone. And then, the C-12 aldehydes start to really grow and grow and manifest themselves in a overdosed cloud of limonene-waxy stuff, that sort of deafens my sense of smell, making it hard to smell anything else- giving my nose a Black-out... It overshadows the beautiful opening, which was very dynamic while this smells bored. Somehow the waxiness gets a sweetly 'cheesy'-tone, like Maaslander, a cheese we make here in Holland. This could be due to perubalsam that’s in here, which also can catch a sort of cheese-like note.
Towards and in the dryout there is more room for the resinous-smoky frankincense, the tarry-amber, the balsamic-peru balsam, woody-cedar and a soft, vetiver greenish mossy-feel. It settles down in a dark, rawish way with a touch of sharpish green which smells not as potent as its start-off, but very likeable.
Overall I think Black's character is a bit too tame and reserved to be a really adventurous perfume- the smoked, tarry leather-note that it should have, smells more like a slight plasticy shoestore-suede one instead....not bad but I expected more after its very promising opening- instead, in the end, Black leaves me a bit Blue...
06th May, 2014

Add your review of Black

Shop for Black products online

Shop for Black at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Black