Black (2013)

Black information

Year of Launch2013

HouseComme des Garçons

About Black

Black is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2013

Reviews of Black

Well, guys, I've approached skeptically this CdG's fragrance but have to admit I'm well impressed. Actually, if you like a soft licorice vibe, sharp-dusty frankincense, dry and "liquid" spices and "pencil-shavings" woodiness overall combined in to a softly aqueous, paradoxically translucent (modernly synthetic) and finally musky-leathery-resinous accord, well you can't miss Black. Vetiver, with its rooty saltiness, is "basic/central" imo and expresses its substance in to an intensely woody wet way (with vague conjurarions about scents a la CdG Wonderwood). Also leather is influencing (especially in the second part of the evolution) and I'm not detecting a classic "substantial" leather but a leathery "aura" supporting incensey-peppery dustiness and cedary muskiness. The extremely dusty (peppery and yet incensey) opening conjures me for few instants the Durbano Black Tourmaline's incensey mistiness with the addition of a soft hint of liquorice plus a progressively rising (peppery-incensey) pencil-shavings effect a la Carbone de Balmain, Gucci Pour Homme I or Montana Graphite. In a short while vetiver comes on stage with its central woody-salty role. There is actually a really smooth incensey-cedary feel which counteracts the woody "saltiness" providing a general sense of "misty and ambiental meditative minimalism". I agree with Colin Maillard since there is a huge dose of Iso E driven incense, synthetic woods and "musky galaxolide" in order to provide a cedary-incensey sort of synthetic muskiness immensely soft/smooth and vaguely resinous-aromatic (birch tar). Finally leather (a rubbery sort of leather) grows up in effects providing a really modern and distinguished vibe. This "conclusive" sort of synthetic musky-incensey-rubbery-resinous
dry down conjures me more than vaguely the final Jacomo de Jacomo's evolution and this old-school fragrance (especially in its aromatic rubbery-incensey feel) could have been ideally (possibly) source of inspiration for the Black's inception. A great take on synthetic-leathery/woody olibanum quite versatile and charming.
14th August, 2015 (last edited: 18th August, 2015)

Good vivisections in the prior reviews of a unique, albeit hardly inscrutable, scent. I'm inclined to say that this is the most successful of CdC's creative efforts. That said, despite owning a bottle, I am hard pressed to to find many suitable occasions to wear this. However, among the ocean of fragrances titled or subtitled "black," this is the only one that I am most convinced would be spot-on ideal for a black tie event. In my case that is only about six or so occasions a year, so this should last quite a while.
28th April, 2015
I imagine myself in the first Temple on the Jerusalem hills watching a sacrifice and being doused with the frankincense and myrrh penetrating from the open air chimneys. My throat warms, the beautifully pungent black pepper chokes my clothes. This is all smoke and churches. Even the drydown is a wonderfully odorous clove and camp fire. Dangerously unusual, evocative and sensual. Grab a bottle of this juice you wont regret it!
23rd April, 2015
Almost categorically black: liqourice, black pepper, black tar, ashes. It's like a child has collected all the black things in the summerhouse. But it works well, the blend is exciting with the liqourice and tar competing for attention, and a hefty dose of dryness from supposedly Iso E Super keeps it fairly transparent and not to heavy.

I have a bottle. Almost never used it, don't know why. While i appreciate it's modern approach i also feel its concept is to shallow.
It's fun to sniff, but i feel it lacks the substance that makes me want to actually use it.
13th April, 2015
for me It starts a spicy.woody.but after a hour its smells like cinnamon mixed with sugar,I think this fragrance is good for women not for men with hair on chest
01st April, 2015
burnt Woods and incense, not so good sillage and duration
17th March, 2015

Add your review of Black

Shop for Black products online

Shop for Black at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Black