Bottega Veneta Pour Homme (2013)
by Bottega Veneta

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme information

Year of Launch2013

HouseBottega Veneta
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige

About Bottega Veneta Pour Homme

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme is a masculine fragrance by Bottega Veneta. The scent was launched in 2013

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Bottega Veneta Pour Homme

Bottega Veneta has been a designer on the scene since 1966, being based in Italy and intially known for their leather goods, the designer whose name literally translates from Italian as "Venetian Shop" finally entered the perfume realm in the 2010's. Bottega Veneta (2011) and Bottega Veneta Eau Legere (2013) made good headway for the label, so the eponymous men's fragrance came trundling along the same year as Eau Legere but not with a ton of fanfare. I walk by a Bottega Veneta shop on my way back from the commuter transit station in downtown Bellevue, and the shop there (among several high-end designers in a cluster) is the least-assuming boutique I've ever seen. Clean chrome letters on the sign, pale white lights, and their wares simply displayed without grand architectural design like the nearby Hermès shop, or ostentatious gold and black lacquer stripes of the neighboring Gucci boutique. Bottega Veneta Pour Homme offers itself in a similarly understated display of class, like a vintage Mercedes-Benz 600 all dressed in black, with hydraulic vacuum-powered windows that silently woosh up and down between chrome and walnut door housing. You'll smell like a million bucks wearing Bottega Veneta Pour Homme, but without screaming "I'm rich" a la Rick James like you might if wearing something louder. Bottega Veneta Pour Homme is like the young son of an old money family, trained in the previous generation's penchant for propriety and grace over the new money guy who wears a ring on every finger and neon running lights under his hopped-up AMG.

That's the key point of Bottega Veneta Pour Homme: it isn't loud, it isn't presumptuous or affected, but very classy while solidly within the designer realm despite it's niche compositional values. Synthetics near the end of the wear will of course betray it's price point and modernity to the obsessive Creed batch code fiend or vintage hound that wants to know where the patchouli was sourced (and there is patchouli here). Overall, Bottega Veneta Pour Homme is a modern designer take on the old 70's aromatic leather chypre type colognes such as 1975's Bogart Eau de Toilette Pour Homme (a.k.a. Bogart Signature) or 1978's Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, but without the oakmoss and heavy orris soap to date it. Granted, there is some slight soapy vibes here at the very end, because how can there not be with a composition like this? Key difference between Bottega Veneta Pour Homme and it's inspiration is the sharp, neutral tone Bottega Veneta takes throughout, rather than rounded balsamic take it's predecessors utilize. This scent opens with bergamot, pine and juniper, with no lavender in sight, instantly pulling it ahead of older scents in this style. The middle of clary sage, fir, and pimento adds a green, peppery, and gray slice of freshness that backs up the citrus and juniper top. The pine and fir don't really take over the scent as they might otherwise thanks to the heavy labadum, leather, and dry patchouli base, but the scratchy norlimbanol "karmawood" final note is where this ends. Bottega Veneta Pour Homme still has to appeal to younger tastes depite being stretched over an old-school framework, making it at once mature but still possessing the sheen of a contemporary aquatic, just not with any actual aquatic notes.

Modern noses okay with synthetic bases won't even flinch at Bottega Veneta Pour Homme's finish, and indeed even higher-end niche houses employ these chemicals from time to time so even folks normally swimming in Amouage or Mancera have smelled worse than this. I think the synthetic wood base is actually quite a propos for Bottega Veneta Pour Homme, as it's a deliberately bleak and post-modernist approach to the barrel-chested herb fest of the 70's anyway, that makes itself feel confident in it's masculinity but with a steely detached reserve rather than an unbuttoned shirt. It's more about "I don't care about you" and less about screaming "I'm the boss". Bottega Veneta Pour Homme is a neutralized patchouli scent bereft of any resin or sexy animalics and thus barely recognizable as such, being very safe for the office as a result, and a melancholic statement of chill winds and a dried forest floor on an overcast day, bottled for your sniffing pleasure. This one won't get anyone's knickers in a twist but that's not really it's purpose I feel, and certainly isn't for everyone, even if those who do enjoy it ultimately love it to pieces. There's not a lot of "I just plain like it" middle ground with this one, because of how emotionless it is. I'll admit I'm still uncertain if it's full bottle-worthy for me, even if I endorse the artistry here with thumbs up. Also available in an extreme version and eau de parfum these days, Bottega Veneta Pour Homme is easy enough to sample before buying. Interesting stuff!
23rd July, 2018 (last edited: 24th July, 2018)
I love the scent, one of my favourite smell, but longevity is poor.
15th November, 2017
Nice, clean, mature office scent with average performance. This won't offend or wow anyone but it is very appropriate in an office/business setting. Might have the slightest bit of "mystery" mixed in too, not sure what it is, but it has something mildly intriguing to it.

Opens with green-spicy notes and later dries down to a clean, soapy leather. It does not project in a big way and starts to fade after about 4 hours on me, so this can be sprayed many times without any nose-fatigue or room-clearing effect.
10th August, 2017
This is one classy clean smelling cologne. The top notes are an invigorating mix of virgin forestry scents with Pine & Fir. The dry down is a nuanced blend of fresh & herbal scents with a base note of clean leather. I love it. Bottega Veneta Pour Homme is like my "on person" aromatherapy as throughout the day I get occasional gentle whiffs. Each whiff fills me with calm and just enough spiciness to perk my motivation. As far as I am concerned, office colognes don't get much better than this.
12th February, 2017
This one was a bit of a revelation for me. Not to say it's completely original, but it's such an interesting take on an older theme. As usual, Signor Maillard writes a terrific review, and he really nails it when he says that this is a contemporary version on a cologne. I have spent ages wondering about this: what is the logical relationship between older cologne type fragrances and this one, with very little overlap of notes, that makes BVPH reference them so clearly? Perhaps it is the aromatics and herbal components, perhaps the freshness, perhaps a parallel in the development of accords. Any thoughts on that, let me know.

So what makes something so referential so paradoxically revelatory? A few things: first, I can make out all of the listed notes... I mean, all of them. Too often fragrances present a melange of general stuff. But here, I can pick out the notes individually if I want to. Second, I had a completely different experience buying and using the full bottle compared to sample size atomisers. Sure, the latter was nice enough to make me grin in recognition and commit to getting a big one. But the spray of the larger bottle reveals bigger, bolder and fresher top notes than the sample could possibly provide - I would go so far as to say that this is possibly the best opening of any scent I have tried.

The fir and sage then stiffen things up, while the leather and patchouli provide a very masculine spine, from which the other accords never fully disappear.

I think for some the end might be a little on the sour side, but having checked this carefully over recent uses I would say that the patchouli adds just the right amount of spice and sweetness to the mix. Perhaps a touch more sweetness might have been desirable, but I wouldn't risk changing it. The propensity of the earlier notes to reappear in different quantities day by day just adds to the experience.

Strength, projection, and longevity calibrated just fine as far as I am concerned.

I like the bottle, personally, especially the leather trim.
09th June, 2016
An office staple for me, outstanding green opening puts a smile on my face as I get ready for the day's duties. By the time I get to work the green opening has left and what is left hard to describe but suffice to say it is quite sophisticated. This phase has garnered a compliment from the work secretary. I get good performance from it, no issues there.
04th May, 2016

Add your review of Bottega Veneta Pour Homme

Shop for Bottega Veneta Pour Homme products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Bottega Veneta Pour Homme

There are no member images of Bottega Veneta Pour Homme yet. Why not be the first?