Peety (2013)

Peety information

Year of Launch2013

HouseO'Driù

About Peety

The fragrance contains 49ml. It is suggested you make up the final 1ml with a drop of your own urine.

Reviews of Peety

Reviewing Peety is something different than reviewing other fragrances from Angelo. This happens because my first hate and despise and dismiss for what Angelo had to offer in O'DRIÚ started with the launchment of this one. Was Angelo mocking all perfume lovers by creating something that would suggest you to enhance it using your own pee? I took my perfume passion too serious and i let my prejudices win me on this. I hated peety, i wrote about my feelings and then moved on. And since life is very ironic, here i am today seeing that i was wrong and there was something very solid about Angelo work if you cut through the provocative aura.

Peety is a junction of words: pee and pity, but not pity in a condescending way. It's interesting to see that the latin word from which pity derives, Pieta, goes into a more divine direction, something related to devotion and loyalty. Thinking about the junction of words it seems to have two meanings here: a unique bond between the perfumer and the final user and at the same time a narcissism of a person, an almost religious devotion to itself, something that is very suitable in our modern days.

It is described as a dadaistic perfume, which at the first time i thought odd since most of dadaism artworks seems devoid of a easy to read meaning for me, which is not the case here. But then, searching about dadaísm i could understand why: Peety is in its essence a dadaístic perfume in a way that it challenges the culture and values of current perfumes - in special the frivolous way which the industry sell massive uniqueness, a fragrance that it's so special to you and for other thousands of people like you. And it certainly uses an outrageous element - pee - to scandalize and shock the audience and I'm a proof of that.

But i wanted to understand, after all, if adding your pee to peety would be just a way to criticize the system or a very avant-gard and radical way to make something unique, bespoke to you. I thought, a fragrance is full of elements that are added to preserve it, so would a few drops of urine ruin it? Also, if we have always accepted materials like beeswax (which is regurgitated by bees), ambergris (whale's vomite), civet (extracted from the anal glands of civet) and musk (also from glands), what would be using your own pee? Just another animalic material, this one got in a ecofriendly fashion.

Wearing Peety without pee is already in itself a satisfying experience. Again i see the classic influens of Angelo showing on here, from a scent that seems to incorporate fougere, animalic and sweet fruity aspects altogether. It has that chamaleonic aura that many classics have, one that keeps you guessing what you are wearing: it's sweet, riped fruits? Or maybe dry spices? What about aromatic herbs against sensual ylang? Or even an animalic castoreum combined with dry amber and patchouli? And what about a sweet and smoky tobacco aroma against a minty-like ginger? Those are the varied layers of Peety and it's a very rich experience trying to pay attention into all of them.

Using my own pee on Peety in fact changed this experience. I added three drops to half of my sample and expected two weeks before wearing it a day after i wore the regular one. I expected a more fruity nuance to emerge based on what i discussed with Angelo, but curiously Peety got very focused and chaneled a very good masculine fougere chypre from 80's in this incarnation. Suddenly a clove-ish aura got stronger in contrast with dirty musks, patchouly, making the herbs standing too. It seemed to exhale a very mainly aura, almost raw and keept from being too much by the subtle sweetness showed in the resins of the base, constrasting with some hints of moss. It wasn't something outrageous or shocking, it gave me more a nostalgia feeling of a time where fragrances seemed to be made from a singular vision to be shared and appreciated with the ones that enjoyed it. It seems to fulfill the first meaning of pity instead the second one and it was a moment of breaking through what was a taboo for me. Still, i think this will be the first and the last time that i wear my own pee as the final layering touch in a fragrance.
15th April, 2017
I don't have a comprehensive review of Peety. I defer to several other great reviews already posted. I just wanted to add a quick impression:

Peety is old school. Its big; offering a plethora of notes which take turns in the forefront. It layers the oriental and animalic notes onto an aromatic structure. Like some of the old powerhouses did. I could swear there is oakmoss in the mix; but perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Anyway, Peety is a delight. Thumbs up!
10th January, 2017
A majestic composition.an oriental spicy with an unusual blend of notes that will give you a fragrance to wear that is beyond expectations.i absoloutely love the notes.the opening is bit strong but that is a work of art.the good balance helps to gain universal appear by both men and women but to me it is a mystreious man with a very charming smile secure of his masculinity.Sensuous,Spicy,Intriguing,Sultry,
Attractive,Complex and Fascinating.

The opening embodies the smooth sensuality of the finest tonka bean and moss and merges them with the sour citrus freshness of bitter orange.core spices of cinnamon,tobacco intertwine within the sweetness of rose that exudes mystery.the base is rich and sensual with amber,sandalwood and patchouli making the wearer both attractive and romantic.the scent is perfect for the warm summer night or cozy up with your cashmere sweater in the fall/winter time.

Sillage?Impressive.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

06th September, 2016
This fragrance famously comes 49ml to the bottle, with the final 1ml to be topped up using a drop or two of one’s own urine. I only had a small sample vial, though. I gave it my best shot, logistics not being my strong point and all, but there I was, crouched furtively over the small vial when the horrid thought occurred to me: WHAT IF THE PERSON WHO GAVE ME THE SAMPLE ALREADY PEED IN IT?

I thought quickly – who had given me the sample? Ah, that’s right – Colin Maillard. So off I waddled to my computer, my panties around my knees, and past the living room, where my husband looked up from his newspaper and called out mildly, “Everything alright, dear?”

Colin had not, it turns out, adulterated the sample. I was free to pee. But in the end, I chose not to. I’d like to say it was logistics, but really, I am a wuss.

So what does Peety smell like?

Surprising (to me). I don’t know why but I had expected something comforting and stodgy, like a piece of marmalade pudding with custard on a cold day. It’s something about the listed notes that made me think that – tobacco, tonka, honey, oranges. I had been imagining Tobacco Vanille mixed with a little bit of Absolue Pour Le Soir and rounded off with a touch of Feve Delicieuse (or Pure Havane).

No such thing – this is the opposite of comfort. This is startling. Uncomfortable even. In a good, on-the-edge-of-your-seat way.

The first whiff corresponded with the notions of tobacco comfort I’d nurtured: a deep waft of whiskey and tobacco and even hay, and there I was with a grin on my face and getting ready to sit back and enjoy the ride.

But then in rode this wave of licorice-like herbs and citrus fruits, all drenched in this dark, bitter honey with a deep piss-like nuance to it. Bitter oranges and lemons might indeed explain some of the sharpness, but here the citrus is not fresh. It smells like a cross between a bunch of dried herbs and a lemon, like lemongrass or singed lime peel. The herb-citrus mélange covers the fragrance with a deep medicinal gloom that seems almost black to me, like viewing a pile of luridly-hued fruits under a thick brown preserving glaze in a museum bell jar.

The sharp atmosphere that this almost toxic stew of pissy-honey, civet, medicinal clove, herbs, and preserved lemons creates forms the central character of Peety – and it never quite leaves. But that is what is fascinating to me. It reminds me of something caustic you’d use to lance a boil or dress a war wound.

Actually, this sort of barbershoppy, herb-strewn, musky character is something I associate with a certain style in Italian perfumery. I have experienced the same herbs-and-citrus-on-steroids openings in many of the other O’Driu’s, including Eva Kant, and in Bogue’s Maai and Ker. There is a sort of hyper-masculine, but self-conscious retro barbershop style at play here, as if these perfumers are trying to re-imagine the traditional Italian barbershops and apothecaries they might remember from their childhood.

The style is specifically Italian to me, and although I didn’t grow up in Italy, I did live there, and I recognize the atmosphere of those old, dusty places where traditional healing remedies, tisanes, and unguents sit right next to little white boxes full of Swiss-precise modern medicines. The whole of Italy is kind of like that; this weird and charming mix of traditional superstition and ultra-modern moral mores. So when I say that parts of Peety remind me of those Ricola honey-anise throat pastilles you see at every cash register in Italy, I don’t mean that it literally smells like that but that there is a memory association there for me.

Later on, a musky tobacco accord emerges, rich and glowing. The end result, on my skin anyway, is a sort of “old leather” aroma redolent with male musk and warm, stubbly cheeks (the type on a man’s face, one hastens to add). The aura of rich male skin and musk is bolstered by a warm, almost sick-smelling castoreum, and while there is never sweetness, there is a feeling of sharp edges being rounded off and sanded down – a sleepy warmth.

Funnily enough, it is only in the very later stages, when the bitter herbs and spices have banked down a bit, that I can smell the flowers – a rose and jasmine combination that smells both sultry and medicinal. Joined with the cozy ambroxan or amber-cashmere material in the background, there is an effect there that is quite similar to Andy Tauer’s Le Maroc Pour Elle (although this is not as sweet). The dry, papery (and hyper-masculine-smelling) tobacco accord in the dry-down is a real delight. It is not fruity or sweet like other tobaccos – this is dry and leathery. Persistence is extraordinary – I could smell this on my face cloth for four days afterwards.

A fascinating experience, this perfume, and just one of those things you feel richer for having experienced. Very few moments of wide-eyed delight come about for me these days, so hats off to Angelo Pregoni for Peety.
07th October, 2015
A casual glance at the reviews available will reveal that Peety opens with a volley of ripe, rich notes – a plethora of dry floral notes, bitter citruses and herbal notes, pungent resins, smoke, darkness, beeswax.
The overall impression once the notes begin to blend is of an old wooden floor, impregnated with the dirt and polish of decades and reeking of dried urine – this last piercing, salty and cloyingly honeyed.
Fortunately, this is a transitioning phase before the true heart of this fragrance is revealed – a wild animal prowls here, one feels its hot breath and feral tang marking out its territory among the strong citrus inflected herbs and the piss-and-honey tobacco. A curious duality of plant accents – both dried out and alive – tricks the nose. The florals exist in their fatty, essential oils incarnations rather than as the airborne notes we are more used to.
I didn’t customize my sample; I feel the composition has quite enough pee of its own. I’m undecided about Peety – it gives me a strong sense of ‘trying too hard’ and I feel I have to justify what I am smelling. The aura of this perfume is complex and rich, but up close the ranker elements just fail to convince.
Peety gets rounder and sweeter in the late drydown sharing a family resemblance with some of the spicier Tauers.
15th March, 2015
Slightly deceptive, Peety starts out on what appears to be a new path for O’Driu but then switches direction, heading instead toward more familiar aromatic territory.

The initial application reminded me a little of L’Ombre Fauve’s patchouli muskiness placed over a series of balmy notes. Initially absent was the standard aromatic blast of herbs that dominate many of the scents from this line, replaced instead with a warm and inviting coumarin kind of feel—not quite vanilla, but sweeter than tonka or benzoin. And then as if from out of nowhere, hot spicy notes and herbal flourishes come striding in positioning Peety as back in familiar territory.

While the herbs and spices start to take over, it retains some of its warmth, creating a bit of a juxtaposition. I picked up on some candied citrus upfront that reminded me a little of Bohemian Black’s herbal limoncello opening in which culinary spices and candied lemons converge. The spices are sharper and more “pink” here than in the Matriarch—more of a combination of clove, cinnamon, and pepper with a slightly sweaty cardamom lurking around as well. Subtle minty facets pop up, but I think this is perhaps residue from one of the floral notes. Once the scent has reoriented itself on this more traditional O’Driu aromatic path, it stays fairly linear and consistent throughout, wearing as quite cooling given the hot nature of some of the spices.

I’ve smelled a lot of O’Driu perfumes, and this is really the first to embrace such amber-y characteristics, and it seems to work in the scents favor. While I’m personally a bit unsure about how successfully balmy notes function when placed against sharp, almost medicinal herbs, the scent stands out from the rest of the line. It’s still O’Driu—meaning that it’s kind of weird—but this one of the more accessible scents that I’ve smelled from the brand. Of course it’s no secret by now that you’re supposed to top this scent off, but I’ve opted to pass on this part of the process so that I can focus more intently on what’s already present. I think it’s a good scent overall—one of the better from the line, but a still a few notches away from something like Lalfeogrigio.
01st July, 2014

Add your review of Peety

Shop for Peety products online

Search Amazon for Peety

Member images of Peety

There are no member images of Peety yet. Why not be the first?