Cuir de Gardenia (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseAftelier
PerfumerMandy Aftel

About Cuir de Gardenia

Cuir de Gardenia is a shared / unisex perfume by Aftelier. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Mandy Aftel

Reviews of Cuir de Gardenia

Straight out of the bottle, big fleshy flowers! It brings me back to very early childhood, perhaps sticking my nose into bunches of those large flowers that everyone seemed to be obsessed with back then - my relatives at least. Getting plenty of air to it (wine-tasting habits die hard) releases some animalic notes. I wish there was a more obvious leather accord, as a gardenia-to-leather transition done more in plain sight would have been right up my alley. On skin the gardenia dies away and there is a sense of development, but I can't help feeling that the scent in my head is better than that in my nostrils. There's also some resin there, but it remains a refreshing scent.
08th October, 2017
It's a majestic blast of Oxygen rich Grandiflorum Absolute that wacks me by the side of the head with a strip of cured pancetta, much like SMN Peau D'Espagne. A Waxy petroleum is in the background. Gardenia is not apparent until this scent softens on the skin. It comes more as a feeling of soft butter on the palette and in the finish a nod to points of spice and sulphur. Castoreum? Perhaps. Just enough to draw my nose to the light Indolic. Gentle sweetness, applied with such finesse as to provide balance and draw notice to the Floral.
24th August, 2017
In the vial this is a sweet, creamy gardenia, but on my skin it's an indolic jasmine, along with the kind of rubbery/plasticky smell that I associate with the interior of a new car. I've smelled this before in Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia, & it's not a pleasant association for me. One hour in, the rubberiness calms down, & from here it steadily sweetens into a warm & honeyed floral, fading out after six hours. This stage is more pleasant to me, but it's not gardenia, & therefore a disappointment after being so excited to try it. But my wallet is relieved.
15th May, 2017
I have to say that I truly love this stinky potion, even if it does smell a tad like cat piss. Only basenoters will understand that a statement like that can be a compliment. This is a MUST for lovers of animalic notes and leather. If you love Bandit, if you love Tuberose Criminelle, if you love Rasa, I am pretty sure you will be smitten with this one.

And there is something piney in here, that reminds me of Christmas, that gives the wearer an initial hit of sappy resin. The Gardenia is voluptuous and fleshy. Maybe if a Gardenia flower were an animal, and it had glands, this is what a drop of its flowery sweat could be like.

I hope I haven't grossed anyone out by these descriptions. This was a blind buy for me based on some provocative reviews and I have zero regrets. Cuir de Gardenia is a multi dimensional scent experience and was one that I brought with me on my trip to New Orleans last December. I have a sample of the solid and a mini of the liquid. I prefer the solid which is more indolic, but my budget preferred the liquid.
19th October, 2014

Add your review of Cuir de Gardenia

Shop for Cuir de Gardenia products online

Member images of Cuir de Gardenia

There are no member images of Cuir de Gardenia yet. Why not be the first?