Tobacco Oud (2013)
    by Tom Ford

Average Rating: 4

Based on 16 ratings

Tobacco Oud Fragrance notes

Oud, Tobacco, Coriander, Cistus, Labdanum, Cedar, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Roasted tonka bean, Castoreum

Tobacco Oud information

Tobacco Oud is a unisex fragrance by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2013

Shop for Tobacco Oud products online

Reviews of Tobacco Oud

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 6 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

Jack Hunter's avatar

Well this opens with tobacco and oud and is soon joined by a lovely whiskey note. Spices and a dash of honey soon join the fray and I have to say it's very nice.

Underneath the main notes is a woody backdrop which is more noticeable if you smell yourself up close. The whiskey note is very good within this composition and adds to the character of the scent.

They could have called this fragrance Tobacco Whiskey as the oud disappears not long after the opening and the wonderful whiskey note lingers on throughout the life of the scent.

Overall a excellent spicy tobacco fragrance. A big two thumb ups.!

15 June, 2014

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

After the sledgehammer blows from Tobacco Vanille, I was prepared for a similar onslaught from Tobacco Oud. It didn't materialize. Nor did the oud, I'm afraid. Not that I'm complaining for this smells like a good rendition of pipe tobacco - it's warm, spicy-aromatic, mildly dusty-ashy-musky, and has a hint of honeyed sweetness in the base. I don't find it particularly dirty or raunchy either though it is rather masculine in appeal, if you happen to care for such a description.

Welcome back, Mr Ford.

25 April, 2014

rogalal's avatar

This is essentially the pipe tobacco smell from Tobacco Vanille, played out over soapy musks instead of the vanilla.

I can recognize the intricate mix of cedar, honey, and chrysanthemum that makes that pipe tobacco smell. Unlike Tobacco Vanille, which mixes in a huge slug of clove, Tobacco Oud uses a really strong ashy note. To be honest, it kind of smells like smoky clay, or maybe even a campfire on a hot wet cement sidewalk. There are some cinnamon-dusted pie spices, which I assume are in tribute to Tom Ford's Oud Wood, but not really anything that smells like actual oud.

The dry-down, a few hours in is quite clever. There's an animalic civet in there, mixing with a subtle vanilla and the lingering pie spices to create a sweet musk that's clearly inspired by Musc Ravageur. Meanwhile, there's also a big dose of benzoin and soap that simultaneously smells like baby powder and church incense.

All this is quite fun, but the real fireworks happen in the transitions - the way the honey glides into the sexy sweet musk, and the way the cedar backs up the smoky ash, while the animalics bubble underneath. This is an excellently crafted perfume, rich and complex, constantly changing but without any unfortunate combinations. Personally, I don't care much for the ashy stage, and I'm not a big musk fan, so I'll happily stick with Tobacco Vanille, but this is definitely a fine perfume.

31st March, 2014

zzzdime's avatar

Thanks for the good review, G ... you nailed it ! I, too, grew up in the South, getting shooed by my granddad off stacks of tobacco, just cured, off the stick and set aside for sheeting. Tobacco Oud took me straight back to that time. The cigar/flannel/ whiskey/firewood references worked perfectly ( I would add the scent of a stick of fat lighter starter to that list ... maybe it's the amber ) At any rate, I ordered a 5 ml decant of this juice today. A 50ml bottle is next on my list !

14 March, 2014

gerbick's avatar

There used to be a thread here on Tom Ford Oud Fleur and Tobacco Oud (actually found it via a Google search of "tobacco oud tom ford site:basenotes.net") and after acquiring a bottle of Tobacco Oud - Oud Fleur was way too feminine for me - I thought I'd share my thoughts.

It starts out with a very strong, dusty tobacco leaf accord. As a southerner that's been around tobacco farms since my youth, it was a scent that made me instantly reminisce of being inside of a dusty barn in North Carolina and sitting on top of a heap of freshly dried tobacco leaves that had just been removed from being hung and dried, and subsequently getting yelled at. Then the scent takes an odd turn.

Underneath the tobacco comes a very Oud Wood vibe that subsides rather quickly (it's still there but it's singing backup) and for me, I get some of the same spiciness from Tobacco Oud as I do from Italian Cypress on dry down. Call me odd, but I always got a cinnamon vibe - not the cinnamon stick, but more of the leaf scent that my wife (Jamaican) cooks with which is way subtle - from Italian Cypress on the dry down. I'm getting it here too.

This is not a "clean" scent by no stretch - but nowhere near barnyard skank like Dior Leather Oud. It really goes on dusty, dark, boozy (there's a whisky accord), and then dries down a spicy/woodsy (still not clean) scent that further dries down to a weird mix of Amber Absolute (clean-ish) with some Italian Cypress and Oud Wood dry down. Masculine as heck, like I just hid some freshly wrapped cigars in my well-worn flannel shirt after toasting a visiting neighbor with some well-hidden stash of whisky in my garage (don't tell the wife) after chopping some wood for my fireplace.

Long-lasting, wears well in colder weather (warmer it gets, the spicier it gets actually) and layers great with Oud Wood. Full bottle worthy - not for a lot of folks here. Despite being dusty, tobacco, it's still a very safe scent. It plays close to the skin (colder weather) and doesn't really stray far from prior Tom Ford scents.

In hindsight and after two days of wearing this, its DNA is definitely etched out of prior Tom Ford releases in a way that I can't call it revolutionary. Bits of Amber Absolute, bits of Tobacco Vanille, bits of Oud Wood, bits of Italian Cypress. We're not talking bold like Moss Breches or odd like Purple Patchouli (one of my favorites) but a nice masculine, tobacco with some booze and some dust.

But I like it. A lot.

Hope I didn't bore you with my under-developed nose and drivel.

24 November, 2013 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2013)

deadidol's avatar

My expectations were quite low for this one given the number of mediocre scents that Tom Ford has been releasing lately (the excellent Sahara Noir aside). Thankfully, this one was better than I expected it to be.

The tobacco is the most prominent aspect of it (considerably more so than the oud), and the note is split between the herbal facets of tobacco leaves and a genuinely dirty smoke effect. The spices are surprisingly grungy for a Tom Ford, and I’m assuming that there’s some civet or some choyas playing up against the patchouli to get this effect. The oud is minimal, but comes across more as an infusion of a ruh kuhs extract in that it’s a little on the grassy / hay side. This is all placed over a fairly textbook amber base that’s got a vanillic edge, but is largely characterless. It’s the same thing you find at the base of the soulless Rive d’Ambre.

There is, however, what appears to be a hint of benzoin that draws some parallels to Sahara Noir, but the similarity is minimal. It’s still not as good as the latter, and it’s certainly nowhere near the level of work the brand was producing a few years ago, but it’s solid stab at a trite, exhausted genre and it manages to stand out. As an oud fragrance, it’s lackluster, but it’s on par with the other non-oud ouds from similar brands (Kilian, MFK, Bond etc.) As a composition, it’s very nicely done. It’s not for me, and I think mainstream audiences will find it too dirty (it’s not dirty enough for my tastes), but I can appreciate it for what it is.

If you want an actual oud fragrance, look elsewhere (and I’d even suggest that the original Oud Wood scent is a better contender); but as far tobacco scents go, there's better to be had, but this is still a solid offering.

17 November, 2013

Add your review of Tobacco Oud

Search for on eBay United States

TOM FORD * TOBACCO OUD * RICH, REGAL & ADDICTIVE !!
    • Time Left: 23 days
    • Time Left: 3 days
    TOM FORD MINI 4• TOBACCO VANILLE• TUSCAN LEATHER • NOIR DE NOIR •OUD WOOD•
    • Time Left: 18 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    TOM FORD MINI 3 SAMPLE •Tobacco Oud •Tuscan Leather• Neroli Portofino•FREE SHIP•
    • Time Left: 28 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    TOM FORD 3 SAMPLES• Tobacco Oud• Plum Japonais• Oud Fleur• 1ml EACH SAMPLE.
    • Time Left: 8 days