Tobacco Oud (2013)

SupplierGivaudan
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Tobacco Oud

Tobacco Oud is a shared / unisex perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivier Gillotin

Reviews of Tobacco Oud

MASTERPIECE

So...where do I start? To be honest, the first time I smelled this I was not a fan. It is pretty stanky in the opening. I was wearing oud wood at the time which is much sweeter in the base. I sniffed it a couple of times in the first couple of minutes and was not a fan. The opinions of others around me was not favorable either.

After about 5-10 minutes, it turned into a very dry AMAZING tobacco note. I still wasn't sold, it just seemed to be super dry and slightly sour but somehow sweet. I kept sniffing my hand where I sprayed it. Hours in and it develops and gets smokier (with incense) and sweeter and ambery. To me, I don't get the "oud" but I don't care, its much better than oud wood to me (which I own several bottles of but Oud Wood is safer).

This got to the point where I had to get a bottle. It is super masculine but smooth, super unique, and the dry down is great.

It does NOT smell like Amber Absolute to me they are significantly different. I feel like those saying they are super similar are misleading people.

I feel like Amber Absolute is a bit thicker but also sweeter but in a deep and heavy way. Tobacco Oud is no slouch and is a very powerful fragrance. This one lasts all day on me and has excellent longevity. The projection is very good as well and gets closer to the skin at around 5-6 hours but will last 8-12 hours depending on the day.

To me, I love both almost equally but for different reasons. I will wear Tobacco Oud when I want something a bit lighter but super unique and less heavily sweet.

This one is more versatile than people give it credit for, it actually develops more than any other Tom Ford Private Blend than I have. First stage: almost what is this in a bad way that you keep smelling. Second stage: dry sweet/sour tobacco. Third stage: smoky, ambery (but not heavy as AA).

This one is at the top of my favorites for the Private Blend. I do not know why it does not always get the love it deserves but to me, it is one of my top 10 fragrances.

I like to smell unique, and I also love the smell of tobacco and this one is a VERY different tobacco note than what is found in tobacco vanille. Like I said, it's masterful and a masterpiece. There is more to this than just tobacco so I think it will appeal to more than just tobacco lovers. The dry-down is nothing like anything else I've smelled. Just to illustrate again, I have a big bottle of this and Amber Absolute. If you own AA, you'll probably like Tobacco Oud but they are not similar to me.
12th April, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.... If Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille--great though it is--is too treacly sweet for you, this just might be your best bet. A drier pipe tobacco without a strong cherry note (think of the nuttiness of Dunhill's "My Mixture 965") opens the show and is quickly joined on stage by the oud note which adds a slightly salty, earthy component, supported by patchouli and a seductively skanky note of humanity (the castoreum?). The toasted tonka listed in the notes supports the nutty, vanilla-like tobacco vibe going on. Tobacco Oud is a treacherous image indeed; it is presented as a unisex scent when in fact it is very masculine and hirsute, quite sexy and a little naughty.
02nd December, 2015
Of all the TF Private Line fragrances, Tobacco Oud would be the one I would place first in terms of quality and structure of scent. It's just a really pleasant and interesting fragrance top to bottom. I might not find occasion to wear it as often as say Costa Azzurra or Italian Cypress, but TO is much more pleasing to the nose.

TO is a sweet, to very sweet tobacco that while not dominant, is clearly the main note. This is a sweet juicy tobacco leaf, well cured and touched with a slight berry or citrus. It almost has a whiskey type appeal, which is probably the Oud beginning to make it's presence. The oud is much fainter, but gives the scent that middle eastern appeal. There's a musk or incense that is faintly present at intervals in the final stage, but it's still the sweet berry tobacco mostly. It's very well done, with just below average sillage and about 4-5 hours longevity.

Quite a superb scent.
25th September, 2015
A great blend of cherry tobacco and soft oud that unfortunately does not last on my skin.

The opening is a beautiful combination of very natural pipe tobacco with cherry flavour along with some oud and a dirty/naughty kind of smell mixed with it.
I don't know what's the source of this dirty feeling (maybe musk or maybe even some leather!) but it's a very nice add to the scent!
The Oud note here is something like oud in "Oud Wood" also from the brand.
It's dark, a little tart and fruity because of cherry, a little warm and sweet, slightly woody because of soft oud and slightly dirty.
Just an amazing opening.

After just a few seconds that dirty feeling goes away and soft woody oud note disappears and only thing that remains is slightly sweet and at the same time slightly tart cherry pipe tobacco smell with hint of musk all the way through.
I believe this scent does not match with my skin chemistry because I do get a completely skin scent projection and only 2-3 hours longevity. I just wanna cry! :(
16th April, 2015
If you like the tobacco note and scents on the sweet side, you should give this a try.
On me, the tobacco leaf dominates the oud -- no mean feat. I'm not a particular fan of tobacco but I can see that this is a very fine note for its type. The oud is strictly secondary and doesn't last long. The scent is quite sweet, with the coumarin adding its usual honeyed, hay-like note. Hint of wood but nothing substantial.
Not a bad scent. If it could have been less sweet I might have even found it intriguing. And a bit more oud would have given it oomph.
A rather safe, not particularly daring rendering.
12th April, 2015
The tobacco note is not nearly as strong as I expected, but still prominent. Lots of leather, very rich like that of an old leather briefcase. Just after I applied it, I could seriously taste the slightest hint of maple syrup-like sweetness as I inhaled the lovely aroma; that sensation lasts but a moment and is TOTALLY addicting!! --I reapplied a tiny bit throughout the day just to get that sweet sensation again. After dry down, it's very interesting; I didn't notice it at first, but after a couple day's of wearing it, there is a smoky "Nag Champa" type smell to it. ..reminds me of when my wife burns incense, but it is also combined by the lingering leathery tobacco notes, but that addictive sweetness is all but gone.

Longevity for me was fairly low, even when applied lightly 2-3 times throughout a 12-hour day, whereas a friend said it lasted all day for him. Sillage was also low, noone beyond arms length could smell me, which is fine, I enjoyed it all the same. 8/10 for me.
24th March, 2015 (last edited: 28th March, 2015)

Add your review of Tobacco Oud