Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar (2013)
by Tauer

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar information

Year of Launch2013
AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseTauer
PerfumerAndy Tauer

About Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar is a shared / unisex perfume by Tauer. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Andy Tauer

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar fragrance notes

Reviews of Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar

The opening on my skin was more rose than apricot, which was barely detectable. The rose is quite fine but gives way quickly to faint tobacco and patchouli. Blending with the patchouli were musk scents and a bit of ambergris. From time to time the rose seems to bloom, but never overpower the base. It definitely did not read as a gourmand on my skin, but was a masterful creation. Longevity is great and sillage is moderate.
14th March, 2017
This is the kind of perfume that our children's children will be collecting and romanticizing.

This is a beautifully blended warm rose perfume. Upon opening, I can smell rose (of course), apricot, powdery musk, cinnamon and (although it's not in the notes) licorice. As it warms with the skin I get more vanilla, bourbon, almond and soft woody notes.

My skin is very dry right now, but it seems like it's going to last in spite of that. Sillage is moderate to heavy...I would say maybe a good 3 or so feet.

Like I said earlier, I could see this being a fragrance that future generations use to romanticize our time. Something that grandchildren hope to have passed down to them, much like coveted Chanels, Guerlains, Creeds and the like. This has that "something" that feels timeless and collectible.

Disclosure: Sample won in a randomized contest. This does not change my review.
05th December, 2016
I smelled this on someone today and it was impressive. The listed notes of tonka and vanilla sound right, I often appreciate the sweetness from those, and this had a broad, complex smell as well. Good projection and longevity from approximately 8 to 10 sprays.
12th October, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
Cinnamon with almond and a fruity background is what I get in the opening blast, exuding a pleasantly sweet warmth. The fruity side is a peachy apricot that is a bit blandly sitting there as a backdrop to the real action.

In the drydown finally the rose a-rose, pleasant again, of medium brightness but very much more a background feature than a full-fledged dominant rose, and I find it a bit flat on my skin.

Never mind the rose: a vanilla wave is closing over my head, with tonka giving added depth, and together with the remaining cinnamon he smoothness of this combination dominantes the second half, and it makes for a lovely warming and comforting base, with hints of ambroxan, white musk and a somewhat perfunctory synthetic ambergris preventing too much sweetness; it is never cloying or overwhelming.

The performance is excellent with the moderate sillage, strong projection and a stupendous fourteen hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a very agreeable winter warmer, an olfactoric gluhwein so to speak, but the conundrum is: with the rose appearing so prominently in the name, is it acceptable to have this flower occupying such a relatively minor role in this composition. As I am mainly interested in the fragrance and not its name, I will not hold the name against it, but buyer beware: this is not a rose bomb. It is, however, not without its flaws, and sitting at the border between a neutral and a postitive score it is the convincing performance that pushes it across the line - just by the skin of its teeth. 3/5.

Gefühl ist alles - name ist Schall und Rauch.

Maybe there are not too many roses in Kandahar these days.
04th May, 2016
Given the pitch regarding the beautiful, ultra rare Afghani rose included, I was quite disappointed to find only the merest whiff of rose in this fragrance. My wife loved it but also could not detect rose. What it is is a very nice gourmand featuring a fruity, almond, vanilla accord against a backdrop of soft patchouli. Like most modern frags it is hyperblended into a near linear perfume and lasts quite a long time. Nice, but not as advertised, and given the price I'd think twice.
14th November, 2015
This is the first non-Tauerville Tauer fragrance I've tried, so the bar has been set high from the Tauerville line, especially with the increase in price to Tauer Perfumes. PHI Une Rose de Kandahar does not disappoint--the same craftmanship in the boutique line is certainly implemented in his upscale line as URDK is an elegant composition of rose and other elements. It does contrast significantly with many of the harsher rose ouds out there.

The balance of URDK is between a very natural-smelling blend of roses (neither completely fresh nor dark), cinnamon, and patchouli, with some other more minor notes making their appearance as well (ambergris, tonka). That I cannot detect the apricot is probably a good thing, as I get more of the rose in the heart of the fragrance than most that seem to extol the non-rosiness of composition. It's still rose-dominant to me, just well-blended, and not with the harsh rose oud combination that is ubiquitous in the market (i.e. By Kilian - Rose Oud, which I just tried yesterday).

Rather, URDK is at the intersection of rose, green, spicy, and earthy elements. It's not very floral, apart from the rose; the opening doesn't have much citrus; and it isn't overly sweet, even though it dries down into a relatively comfortable sweet/powdery balance.

URDK is a challenge to explain, given the balance of the blend (echoing the sentiments of Max Forti on YouTube), and that's all the more reason that it needs to be sampled. Given the peculiarity of the blend, URDK is versatile enough to wear in four seasons, day or night, and for casual or formal situations, though I suppose with niche offerings, especially involving rose, I'm always inclined to regard them as more formal than casual.

Une Rose de Kandahar is a very interesting composition and I might need to try it a bunch more before I know if it's bottle-worthy, but I'm guessing it will be, and I'm even more inclined to try more of the Tauer Perfumes line. Andy Tauer does it again!

8 out of 10
10th November, 2015

Add your review of Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar

Shop for Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar products online

Search Amazon for Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar

Member images of Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar

There are no member images of Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar yet. Why not be the first?

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar News