Russian Tea (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseMasque
PerfumerJulien Rasquinet

About Russian Tea

Russian Tea is a shared / unisex perfume by Masque. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Julien Rasquinet

Russian Tea fragrance notes

Reviews of Russian Tea

It opens up with green mint enveloped by smoke with hints of something sweet, which could be the raspberry. Immediately starting to detect some spices and a dry bitter raw leather which I will pick up for a couple of hours. The leather feels too old fashioned to me and it gives me the same feeling as Habit Rouge does, of a much early era. I much prefer the current modern leathers (regardless of being the polish or animalic type). The black tea leaves appear also, timidly and with a nice leafy feeling at first, but they will get more pronounced and smoky-dry with time. The leather will not hang for very long, leaving a long dry down of smoky tea leaves with a minty aroma, the smoke being denser than in the beginning.
I find the Russian Tea more like putting my nose inside of a tea bag while being near a campfire, rather than drinking a cup of tea.
All said, this is not my cup of tea, but it could have been if the whole composition felt more modern. I believe it's for the ones who love the classic perfumes. Regarding the performance, it never jumps too much of the skin , but lasts a good 12 hours very close to the skin.
30th March, 2016
I wore this a second time and appreciate it quite a bit more. True, there is a large blast of mint in the opening. However, it's a nice enough mint and doesn't last forever. The tea scent is true enough, a little on the perfumed side. I like this well enough for a decant, but not a bottle. In comparison, CBIHP Russian tea opens with a lemon note and does not have the perfumed quality of the Masque. It is more true to real black tea.
28th February, 2016 (last edited: 29th March, 2016)
Interesting and unusual in a good way.
The start is incredible. The first few seconds are pure, fresh black tea. It's like taking the lid off a tea caddy and breathing in the scent of the contents at close range.
Then suddenly there is a huge, bright, loud, what smells like menthol/eucalyptus/tea-tree oil note. You just opened your tea caddy and unbeknownst to you a female soprano opera singer has crept up behind you and suddenly lets out a bright, loud high "c". The minty note makes me think of olbas oil or some similar cold vapour-remedy in its potency and effectiveness at clearing the sinuses (thanks for that). For me it's still good though: I'm a mint fan.
Anyway, you jump 3 feet in the air when the lady sings and spill the contents of your tea caddy all over the kitchen, and the room is filled with the fresh, lovely scent of tea, mint, tobacco, sweet hay over the next hour or so. Frankly I don't get the strong leather or smoke vibes that others have. After about 4 hours all that's left is a faint, fruity skin scent - I guess that's the raspberry, although I couldn't have pinpointed the fruit to anything specific . I also wish the sillage were a bit bigger and the longevity, well, longer.
Overall though it's a rather lovely, strange thing. It's lovely enough and strange enough for me to put it on my "want" list, but I won't buy it unless the current price, which is just silly, Is more than halved.
August 2015
31st August, 2015
Being Russian myself I was very anxious to try this fragrance. So I did. After wearing it for a couple of times I still can't really get why it is called "Russian" tea. Probably the whole idea of its name is coming from the entourage of samovar tea ceremony. Smokiness from a birch wood burnt to boil the water in a samovar, forest berry jam, leather chairs. The middle phase is quite pleasant and airy and somehow reminds me of a homemade steep black tea. Drydown though is rather generic and has no recognizable backbone.
In any case its a nice composition and a nice take on a tea theme, especially when the fragrance market is overloaded and stuffed with gazillion of annoying ouds and roses.
03rd June, 2015
The “masque” was a form of festive courtly entertainment that flourished in 16th- and early 17th-century Europe, though it was developed earlier in Italy. It was a meeting where dancing, actors and acrobats were hiding their faces with masks trying to involve the nobles in their party. So, spectators were invited to join in the dancing. At the end, the players would take off their masks to reveal their identities. I love this idea, it could be a turning point in the conception of a perfume, where the emotions arising from a fragrance represent an allegory! That said, I demand that this brand meets two parameters: to represent a folk Italian type as the dominant mood, to speak an allegorical language. However, this fragrance seems a simple task well done, politically correct. Do you want a Russian tea? Here's my idea of a didactic Russian tea.
One of the most characteristic aspects of the Russian tea tradition lies in the widespread use of a peculiar kettle called “samovar”: it has become a ubiquitous object that was originally used only for afternoon tea and then with time also for the preparation of tea at the end of the meals, served alone or with dessert.
In this scent I see more willingness to represent the pomposity of the Russian concept of luxury, rather than arising from the affability of the popular culture.
A design concept is very similar in Tabarome, a mixture of synthetic and natural that is a great job, well balanced. The “summa” of a type, because even in the most commercial perfumes we find similar fragrances: The Dreamer by Versace, Jazz by YSL, Hugo XY by Hugo Boss. When a perfumer decides to work around woody (iso e super), aromatic spices mixed with cedar, citrus, tea, he can not try to be original by adding tonka or tobacco, incense or leather. The risk is to be only trivial. So what kind of masque we are talking about?

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

10th May, 2015 (last edited: 12th May, 2015)
Do you know the scent of black leaf tea?

Russian Tea is a bold rendition of black leaf tea. Not green tea, not herb tea, not chai, and certainly not tea bags. In fact I just smelled tea bags for the sake of it and I realised that they smell of paper, not tea.

Smell some good black leaf tea, of whatever type, and you will see that it has a complex fragrance of it's own. You might smell citrus notes, hay, tobacco, barnyard or cowshed notes, tarry notes, herbal notes, liquorice, smoky notes, and yes, I suppose, leather. It is no wonder that it translates so well to perfumery.

If you live in a nation of black tea drinkers you will know, or you will remember this smell, or if you use proper leaf tea you will know it. In the days before tea bags, leaf tea was kept in a caddy (a little tin or chest). The smell when the caddy was opened to make tea was really intense, darkly fragrant. Where I come from some of the older people used to like "stewed" tea, so the pot of tea was left to simmer gently on the stove top for a long time, with the tea getting richer and more concentrated as the day went on. The fragrance could permeate the house. It eventually acquired a bitter smell and taste. Russian Tea stops well short of that. There is nothing bitter about it, but it captures the intensely aromatic, intoxicating notes of black leaf tea.

The tea is present right from the beginning of Russian Tea but the first note you will smell is a lovely dry herbal mint. It is quite fleeting but it sets the scene wonderfully. For me, from there on in it is tea all the way. I don't smell the raspberry note as such, or the magnolia. It just all adds up to the most wonderful black tea accord, but because of the complexity, the mystery, the possibilities, of that accord, it continues to hold interest all the way through, and it has very good longevity. In the longer development there are woody and birchtar notes and in the deepest drydown, (being the next morning!) a little immortelle lingers on the skin.

The fragrance has a dry character and it is very refreshing. It is crisp but it has deep, deep notes too. It is modern but the central accord has a timeless, elegant quality. It will be lovely, quite special, anywhere, anytime and on anyone.

13th April, 2015

Add your review of Russian Tea

Shop for Russian Tea products online

Search Amazon for Russian Tea

Member images of Russian Tea

There are no member images of Russian Tea yet. Why not be the first?