New York Patchouli (2013)
by Bond No. 9

New York Patchouli information

Year of Launch2013

HouseBond No. 9
Parent CompanyLaurice & Co

About New York Patchouli

New York Patchouli is a shared / unisex perfume by Bond No. 9. The scent was launched in 2013

New York Patchouli fragrance notes

Reviews of New York Patchouli

rbaker Show all reviews
In the opening I get some patchouli that is quite intertwined with bergamot. Later on I get lots of lilac with lily and a transient whiff of rose. The Bond-ing base of musk, amber and wood - jtd's Bond-ade - is duller on my skin that in other scents of this house. Limited silage and projection with three hours of longevity - nice in spring; not a bad fragrance but overall more on the mediocre side.
18th July, 2014
Thanks to a tiny beauty supply store near me that stocks the line, I've had the chance to sample many of the perfumes in the Bond no 9 line at my leisure over the past few years. Having done so, I feel safe saying that I don't like the Bond no 9 line very much.

The first perfume I tried from the line was Chinatown. I bought it, love it and wear it to this day.  Exceptional perfume.  Since Chinatown, I've tried many others. Silver Factory is interesting (same perfumer, Aurélien Guichard). A portion of the line is innocuous and costs a lot. The bulk smell bad and cost a lot.

New York Patchouli falls somewhere between the latter two categories.  Top notes, innocuous. A hint of butterscotch, a large dose of root beer a bit of patchouli.  Heart notes and dry down, a slender helping of Bond-ade, the house note and a heat mirage-like shimmer of cream soda. The Oriental is certainly nothing new in perfumery. The more recent gourmand/Oriental is similarly not untried.  New York Patchouli is nothing new in perfumery, but specifically is nothing innovative in a line composed mostly of gourmand/Orientals. In this case, NY Patch skips the earthy, cold, dusty aspects of patchouli and focus on its upper register, which coincides with Bond's 'house' note.

Name aside, Bond-ade is the key note in New York Patchoulu. I've written about Bond-ade in previous Bond reviews. To summarize, it is a woody-amber-based lingering note somewhere between gourmand and resinous. It combines a shrillness with vertigo and is difficult to tolerate in sustained exposure. New York Patchouli has a smaller portion of this note than many others in the line.  It smells more like fruity hairspray than motion-sickness.

Christ. I just read that last sentence. While writing it, in my head I was trying to say something nice about this perfume. Apparently I don’t have the wherewithal.

I'll leave it at that.
19th June, 2014
a bit on the femenine side due to the floral opening soon it takes a woody /amber /patch drydown duration is above 9 hours, sillage is good ..this has won me over for a 180 degrees turn.. great juice!
24th March, 2014 (last edited: 06th December, 2014)
Retro! Retro! Retro Masculine! But Where is the Patchouli?

This scent is a recreation of what barber shop scents used to be like in the 80's.

The start is very fresh, with citrus, ginger and cardamon notes. There is already a masculine wintry dusty quality to it; think hats, coats, gloves and dark clothing attire. Is there already a bit of leather peeking through?

The heart is full of strong musk that will envelope you for ages. This note will then become the main note in the drydown along with possibly moss with some hints of leather.

The Longevity and projection are good.

I would describe this scent as a Fougere, not as Oriental.

I would have called it New York Musk!

Pros: Unique for a Bond own creation

Cons: Not the usual Lux Bond Bottle.

10th December, 2013 (last edited: 16th March, 2014)

Add your review of New York Patchouli

Shop for New York Patchouli products online

Shop for New York Patchouli at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for New York Patchouli

Member images of New York Patchouli

There are no member images of New York Patchouli yet. Why not be the first?