Black (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HousePuredistance
PerfumerAntoine Lie

About Black

Black is a shared / unisex perfume by Puredistance. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Lie

Reviews of Black

First, this isn't a perfume containing notes that will be easily recognizable and won't be understood by a single wearing. So ignore the negative reviews, these folks just don't get it. Sorry, but there is no way this perfume deserves anything but a huge thumbs up.

It took me quite a while to figure out what Black is all about, it's a modern recreation of a Arabic Ghaliyah fragrance, which is very old but Black is very unique and modern smelling. Ghaliyah is translated as precious and generally contains oud, musk, sandalwood, ambergris and rose among other notes. Black has these notes and the musk used in Black is the closest synthetic recreation of deer musk I've ever experienced. Most other perfumes don't come nearly as close as this. The musk in Black envelops the entire composition in a warm blanket.

Also, there is a very high quality incense note in Black that is present for the duration, and it is possible to smell an accord that reminds one of a snuffed candle. Some other notes you might find resemble leather, patchouli, a touch of vetiver. The rose is joined by saffron and jasmine, but the perfume isn't floral in the traditional way, the florals lift and brighten the composition but aren't very prominent.

Black is a kaleidoscope of notes and the blending and composition are extraordinary. Whether you like it or not, this is an objectively excellent composition, unique and artistic, smells very natural and luxurious. This is a true work of art in perfumery.

15th January, 2016
Puredistance Black - I’m not sure I know what I’m smelling but it’s nothing that I connect with… It’s not concrete. It’s definitely not abstract. And it’s not abstract-concrete like CdG’s Odeurs 53 or 71. Elements of the scent seem vaguely familiar, but not familiar enough to identify them. Lucky Scents’ blurb suggests that P-D black is presenting the smells of childhood… but I don’t feel it tickling anything in my deepest memory banks… Puredistance Black is warm, but I don’t really get leather, booze, aminalics… yet I certainly wouldn’t argue about those…

Now, about 45 minutes into it, I get a growingly disgusting element that hits me very much like heavy leather or birch tar does… Yes, that is definitely there filling up the background and precluding this from all possibilities of my purchasing it… yup, birch tar is there, so this will be quickly coming off my skin.

I wish I could say that this was a noble experiment – but I’m feeling neither success nor frustration – this fragrance is simply too non-intriguing for me to bother thinking about any more.

I don’t find Black at all unique or intriguing. It is simply a somewhat linear, conglomerate accord… very much in structure like the ‘90s Calvin Kline’s best sellers, except that this one is not synthetic smelling nor screechy.
28th August, 2015
This is one of my favorites fragrances around. The only draw back is the price. I've been sparingly using my decant of 5 mls like if it was liquid gold. Wait a minute, it is liquid gold.
I get the leather, the woods, and a fabulous dry down. It's about a three in silage but last all day long. At times, you think it's gone but with a little breeze, you get the wonderful aroma coming off the skin. It's intoxicating. This could easily be my signature scent, if it wasn't for the price.
If you are looking for something unique,you might be disappointed with this one. However,if you want to smell great and be transported to a euphoric place, this one is the one. At least, it is for me.
21st May, 2015 (last edited: 01st October, 2015)
Oh, the leather. I get patchouli here, some rose and just enough oud to give it an edge. The light touch with the florals and oud turn this into a mysterious smoky scent. This is the olfactory equivalent of Lauren Bacall, wearing red lipstick, a fedora and a trench coat. Walking away from you in the fog. Masterful.
14th May, 2015
The premium price for this ($295 for 60 ml) makes me want more. It smells a lot like MiN NY Scent Stories Dahab, which is similarly pricey, I think. There is something nice in these scents. I like the Dahab version a little more, I think.

Having sampled more, I would say these are ok and interesting, but not really something I would want to wear often, or something I would recommend for others without sampling.
18th April, 2015
I'm somewhat relieved this fragrance didn't work for me, considering the price. But it really sounded like it might - deep, leathery, warm, boozy, animalic. What's not to love? For me it was the musk. It was the wrong one, the one which invariably turns smelly on me. I wear Musc Koublai Khan with impunity - but the wrong musk is a real turn-off for me. This fragrance has that one...
I don't know I need to go into the offenses of a musk gone bad - we've all experienced it, and also the impossibility of it being able to make itself right. But I'd like to smell this one on a man who wears it well. It has the potential for being killer.
30th January, 2015

Add your review of Black

Shop for Black products online

Search Amazon for Black

Member images of Black

There are no member images of Black yet. Why not be the first?