Kashnoir (2013)

HouseLaboratorio Olfattivo
PerfumerCecile Zarokian
Parent CompanyKaon

About Kashnoir

Kashnoir is a shared / unisex perfume by Laboratorio Olfattivo. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Cecile Zarokian

Kashnoir fragrance notes

Reviews of Kashnoir

Too sweet and not all that interesting. I got zero lavender in the top notes. Mid is some interesting spice but not identifiably coriander. Segues into some interesting resinous notes. But the finale, a heliotrope-vanilla combo, is definitely an acquired taste.
02nd December, 2016
So, I got a bottle of this recently. Yeah, this is basically Shalimar EdP. Except this seemed sweeter to me, and it may have better performance (don't quote me on that!).

Supposedly this is a 20% concentration as well.

I sold my bottle. Don't get me wrong, this is good stuff! It's just that I already own Shalimar EdP.

Having said that... based on the smell, I may actually like this BETTER than my Shalimar (don't hurt me!). But, I have to stick to the OG Guerlain, know what I mean?

Thumbs up! Definitely recommend if you're looking for something like Shalimar!

4/5 stars
05th October, 2016
What a little gem this one is! It can be broken down into two clear constituent chapters. The first chapter, which gets started after a brief burst of citruses or bergamot, is mainly a thick, heavy, almost narcotic mix of heliotrope, orange blossoms, and coriander. Bar the coriander, it almost reads as an abbreviated essay on a part of L'Heure Bleue, but re-imagined for the modern age. I didn't get along with L'Heure Bleue, so I am not quite sure why I am so taken with what is basically a blown up section of it - perhaps it's the lack of violets in Kashnoir. Anyway, if L'Heure Bleue is Miss Havesham with a kerchief moistened with orange blossom water tucked in her ample, powdery bosoms, then Kashnoir is Countess Olenka from the Age of Innocence, all streamlined seduction and charming directness.

And it is most certainly direct - powerful even. Kashnoir blasts out this bitter almond and orange custard smell at high volume for hours and hours. But it never feels medicinal or gourmand-ish, although it does come within touching distance of being "delicious". I guess the best way to describe it is as a rich, complex, comforting smell that is rescued from the edge of stodginess by the bracingly herbal smell of coriander.

It is coriander that proves to be the sole link between this first half of the fragrance and the next. In the second movement, the heliotrope/almond smell completely burns away, and then this fragrance becomes all about the benzoin, with underlying glints of green herbs. I love benzoin, LOVE it, and for me, this is the best part. It has a sweet, vanillic smell, and I can also pick up hints of toffee, burned sugar, cream, and strangely, hints of lemonade. The texture is dry and powdery, but with a lively sparkle to it, as resins are wont to.

Of course, since so many orientals depend on benzoin for that sweet, smooth, vanillic base, there is a real danger that Kashnoir could stray into Shalimar territory and come off looking like a weak copycat version, but this never transpires. Actually, it reminds me of a stripped down version of the last part of Ambre Fetiche, although far less gaspingly dry and harsh. I love the scent, and will wear it (applied sparingly, as it is rather strong at first) under my sweater on a cold, blustery day. I have a feeling that this is one of those "snuggling" or "cashmere sweater" scents that one keeps in reserve for when you need special protection from the cold, cruel world outside.

Edited to add: Duh! I am wearing Absolue Pour Le Soir today, another benzoin-based fragrance, and there are distinct similarities in the drydown between APLS and Ambre Fetiche and Kashnoir. Of course! Wonderful resin, and three wonderful fragrances based on it.
22nd August, 2014
Disclaimer: If you don't like coriander, you should probably stay away from this fragrance.

Kashnoir opens with a super classic citrus / bergamot / vanilla combo that immediately brings to mind of huge classics of the past. The fragrance is immediately joined by an hyper-green coriander note while a thick and powerful woody patch base starts lurking in the back. Kashnoir evolves from the sparkling opening to a darker oriental drydown in which vanilla, patch and resins are joined by smooth powdery facets while, slightly indolic white florals provide an old-fashioned vibe throughout.

The overall effect is indeed pretty narcotic and heady. Bombastic, extremely long lasting and even slightly challenging. Probably not exactly my kind of fragrance yet very interesting nonetheless.

06th July, 2014
Lovely, complex fragrance. Mainly spicy and smoky to me, with a really nice flower twist. Warm, clever and elegant. A bit heavy perhaps, better in winter. Works perfectly on a man (well, at least I like it on myself!).

7,5/10
14th January, 2014 (last edited: 05th April, 2014)

Add your review of Kashnoir

Shop for Kashnoir products online

Kashnoir Laboratorio Olfattivo Woman 5ml decants spray

End Date: Sunday May-19-2019 9:18:25 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $14.96
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Kashnoir

There are no member images of Kashnoir yet. Why not be the first?