Amber Oud (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseNicolaï
PerfumerPatricia de Nicolaï

About Amber Oud

Amber Oud is a shared / unisex perfume by Nicolaï. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Patricia de Nicolaï

Amber Oud fragrance notes

Reviews of Amber Oud

I have to say, I enjoy this gentle fragrance. Mildly sweet, just enough smokiness. It reminds me of something from the 1970's. I can't put my finger on it.

Great skin scent.
19th March, 2017
palomka Show all reviews
Russian Federation
Great fougere like old Equipage Hermes. Not oud.
20th April, 2016
Let's start by saying this is the misnomer of the century. Amber Lavender would have been more appropriate and with expectations set more accurately this fragrance might have better reviews as it really smells beautiful. This is the first PdN i spayed on my skin and the quality is tangible. The liquid feeels smooth and rich. Not much development here, things start out as a smooth-as-silk creamy lavender vanilla amber. Truly smooth, soft and beautiful. It's a bit on the feminine side but I did not feel uncomfortable in the least going out wearing it. Lavender is a familiar scent in masculine fragrances so it feels unisex. After a while I do sense some suggestion of oud but that's after reading the name so...power of suggestion. It's certainly not a main note. That's about it. In many scents, things soften and sweeten over time, but the opposite happens here thanks to the "oud". Achingly pleasant. I could easily spray this on before bed to relax or just if I want to make a soft, warm, cozy impression. Not revolutionary but well-done.
09th June, 2015
Lots of notes listed in the pyramid of Amber Oud, and they are presented in a blended accord. The first time I tested the fragrance I was hit by a bomb of dark spices… after that the spice bomb didn’t happen and the opening accord had had changed from aggressive spice to an aggressive amber / lavender accord. Lying under the lavender / amber there is a wood platform that comes as a blended accord: there is an aromatic (not creamy) sandalwood, an obligatory (also aromatic) cedar, a strong suspicion of patchouli, and maybe some Agarwood – after all, the name of the fragrance is “Amber Oud” so there is likely to be some oud in there… or not. The spices I experienced in my first testing and the castoreum and styrax from the base also took part in forming the counterpointal platform under the lavender and amber.

Amber Oud does not seem to have a traditional fragrance pyramid: It is primarily linear, about the only movement that I can determine is the lessening of the drama primary accord and, with that lessening, the increasing sweetness of the wood – spice – resin platform. The sweetness stays as a more or less neutral level. On some of my tests I thought that the lavender was pushing too hard and at others it seemed to be behaving properly, and I don’t know what to make of that irregularity other that possibly the fragrance is highly responsive to my skin. On my dry skin longevity is about four to five hours, but it lasts longer as a continuingly attractive skin scent.

I have reviewed seventeen Parfums de Nicolai fragrances and I don’t recall any of them that I was overwhelmed by – not even the highly respected New York. My record remains clean: The ho-hum-ness of the lavender/amber, the AWOL oud, the linearity of an uninspired accord just doesn’t do it for me.
22nd February, 2015
Oh my, my, my! Amber Oud is a delicious lavender, spicy combination. At first spray it is a bit strong (2 sprays). The dry down is the beauty in this fragrance. Delicious lavender/spicy/amber that smells very sophisticated. Perfect for the Fall/Winter evenings. As I said before, it can be a bit strong so 2-3 sprays should be sufficient.
13th November, 2014
A frisky lavender sitting atop a fruity flavoured hard-boiled candy base, this is an unimpressive companion to the much more assured Rose Oud launched simultaneously by Nicolaï. May be appreciated by a certain demographic (fans of Aventus, 1 Million, here’s looking at you), but to me it’s a big yawn. Why it’s got oud in its name beats me. Unimpeachable projection.
07th March, 2014

Add your review of Amber Oud

Shop for Amber Oud products online

Search Amazon for Amber Oud

Member images of Amber Oud

There are no member images of Amber Oud yet. Why not be the first?