Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique (2013)
by Guerlain

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique information

Year of Launch2013
AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique fragrance notes

Reviews of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

I had the chance to test Shalimar EDP (current version), Shalimar Souffle de Parfum and buy a 70s vintage version Shalimar, the first version of Ode à la Vanille, sur la Route de Madagascar and sur la Route du Mexique.

The current Shalimar EDP was a bit disappointing. A lot of bergamot with some cardamom and then a powdery rose (almost itchy). Then it settles down finally but doesn't give a good sillage. What's funny is that it smells different if you smell it one cm away from another spot.

Shalimar from the 70s is so much better. Both softer and spicier, with an amber, cashmere feel. You get the bergamot and the rose, but nothing is too strong.

Souffle de parfum shouldn't be compared. This is not Shalimar, don't expect Shalimar. There are some common notes, especially if you wear vintage Shalimar on the other wrist. But it's very good on its own! A wonderful floral with some spices and a gourmand dry-down. I'm happy I randomly got a sample of this and I hope I'll get a full bottle. Sillage could be better, though.

The original Ode à la Vanille opens in a very bitter way. It's balsamic. Then it goes towards a powdery bergamot. The acid vanilla comes later. It's a bit sweeter than the vintage Shalimar but quite similar in the dry down. It also has more fruit.

Sur la Route de Madagascar shares a lot of notes as well, but it's more floral than fruity. It's more animalistic. Dirtier in a very sexy way. It has more vanilla than the others as well.

Sur la Route du Mexique opens with more pepper. It's something between rhum and gin, with spices. It might have a more itchy, synthetic feel for me.

Note that the three bottles are exactly the same. You've got to keep the boxes to differentiate them.

The opening of all those Shalimar, except for souffle de parfum, is the biggest difference. The more they dry, the most similar they get.
01st August, 2017
I love this as much as I love the original. A gourmand oriental scent; that is what I would "label" this. The vanilla, caramel, and chocolate blend magnificently with the iris and incense. I do not get a sickening vanilla overtone here, as I do with a lot of vanilla-oriented fragrances. The vanilla seems to rise and fall throughout my wearing. The opoponax and Tonka aren't overdone. If original Shalimar could be defined as assertive, this version would be called aloof.
29th May, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
Now this is first and foremost about Vanilla. A well-composed vanilla, not particular special or exciting but solid.

Two positive points about this vanilla:
- It never is cloying or intrusive unlike many other vanilla creations,

- it is made more entertaining by some development, in the first stages by a freshish vetiver, quite weak and without any earthiness, and later on by a cocoa powder impression, which is not too bad but a tad too generic.

Throughout the while development of this fragrance there is a very pleasant, restrained opoponax in the background, which is less intensive than in an opoponax-centric composition like Gucci Envy for Men, but it blends in cery nicely with the whole, and at times has a mild incense aroma accompanying it.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

A pleasant vanilla scent for autumn with an original touch, but a touch too generic and synthetic at times, and just crossing the line to thumbs-up. 3/5.
14th February, 2017
I prefer this to Shalimar, the original. (I have only tried the current version, however, so I can't speak to the vintage.) When I tried the current Shalimar in a Guerlain boutique, it seemed so.....bland. It was nice enough, but nothing compelling. On the Mexique Shalimar, I get a much more exciting opening. The burst of lemon and bergamot is exquisite. Some reviews mention a touch of anise. It didn't register with me, only that the topnote of bergamot had to be the most exquisite burst of bergamot I've ever sampled (700 fragrances and counting), so I can easily believe there is much more going on in that opening than bergamot alone. The fragrance is beautiful enough in its heart, but dips unfortunately into a vat of powder for a while. It was too much powder. However, that was easily ignored and did not last forever. Once this thing turned to its basenotes, the overwhelming beauty was apparent again. It is so smooth and rich.
28th March, 2016
Likable, modern vanilla. Unisex. Sweet, but not too much.
20th March, 2016
I love the original vintage Shalimar which does not have the "blast of sour citrus/bergamot" that is in today's "original" formulation.

That being said, I find this one very ordinary and totally lacking in sophistication. It does not smell anything like Shalimar to me. It is too much vanilla and too much sugar for my taste. I could find something very close to this in a drug store chain or any department store for a lot less.

I really wish Guerlain would stop with the Shalimar flankers and just name these things something else as any relationship to the real Shalimar is in name only.
11th August, 2015

Add your review of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

Shop for Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique products online

Search Amazon for Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

Member images of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

There are no member images of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique yet. Why not be the first?