Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique (2013)
by Guerlain

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique information

Year of Launch2013
AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique fragrance notes

Reviews of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

rbaker Show all reviews
Now this is first and foremost about Vanilla. A well-composed vanilla, not particular special or exciting but solid.

Two positive points about this vanilla:
- It never is cloying or intrusive unlike many other vanilla creations,

- it is made more entertaining by some development, in the first stages by a freshish vetiver, quite weak and without any earthiness, and later on by a cocoa powder impression, which is not too bad but a tad too generic.

Throughout the while development of this fragrance there is a very pleasant, restrained opoponax in the background, which is less intensive than in an opoponax-centric composition like Gucci Envy for Men, but it blends in cery nicely with the whole, and at times has a mild incense aroma accompanying it.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

A pleasant vanilla scent for autumn with an original touch, but a touch too generic and synthetic at times, and just crossing the line to thumbs-up. 3/5.
14th February, 2017
I prefer this to Shalimar, the original. (I have only tried the current version, however, so I can't speak to the vintage.) When I tried the current Shalimar in a Guerlain boutique, it seemed so.....bland. It was nice enough, but nothing compelling. On the Mexique Shalimar, I get a much more exciting opening. The burst of lemon and bergamot is exquisite. Some reviews mention a touch of anise. It didn't register with me, only that the topnote of bergamot had to be the most exquisite burst of bergamot I've ever sampled (700 fragrances and counting), so I can easily believe there is much more going on in that opening than bergamot alone. The fragrance is beautiful enough in its heart, but dips unfortunately into a vat of powder for a while. It was too much powder. However, that was easily ignored and did not last forever. Once this thing turned to its basenotes, the overwhelming beauty was apparent again. It is so smooth and rich.
28th March, 2016
Likable, modern vanilla. Unisex. Sweet, but not too much.
20th March, 2016
I love the original vintage Shalimar which does not have the "blast of sour citrus/bergamot" that is in today's "original" formulation.

That being said, I find this one very ordinary and totally lacking in sophistication. It does not smell anything like Shalimar to me. It is too much vanilla and too much sugar for my taste. I could find something very close to this in a drug store chain or any department store for a lot less.

I really wish Guerlain would stop with the Shalimar flankers and just name these things something else as any relationship to the real Shalimar is in name only.
11th August, 2015
I will say that I enjoy this more than the original, the recent version that is. At the opening I didn't get that blast of sour citrus/bergamot which could be slightly potent and overbearing. I also got less of that leather/animalistic note, it was there but subdued. As for the vanilla, it was a lot more pronounced in this one: sweeter, sugary, and not too powdery. The drydown leans into the gourmand territory slightly as there was a little of bit of chocolate and caramel. The summer heat actually helped this project more and so I was able to get good whiffs of the drydown. Amazing stuff, I'll need to acquire more of this at some point!
06th July, 2015
When Angel met Shalimar then Ode la Vanille Route to Mexique was born...
Realistic, complex scent of vanille, oppoponax and cacao...mixed with dried fruits and then you have this limited edition which is generated by Shalimar edp new version (2012)!!!
Great work of Alchemy indeed(Thierry Wasser) .
07th May, 2014

Add your review of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

Shop for Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique products online

Search Amazon for Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

Member images of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique

There are no member images of Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique yet. Why not be the first?