Bel Ami Vetiver (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Bel Ami Vetiver

Bel Ami Vetiver is a masculine fragrance by Hermès. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena

Bel Ami Vetiver fragrance notes

Reviews of Bel Ami Vetiver

I guess perhaps I would have to have experienced the original Bel Ami to appreciate BAV properly? But not having ever laid my hands on the vintage version, I have to judge BAV by what I experience. To me this one is oddly average. As a leather, it's very average, maybe even poor IMO, and I think it's mostly the citrus top. I do indeed smell baseball card bubblegum. It's odd, as it eventually develops more towards a balanced leather-vetiver, but the first half hour or so is very much like bubblegum. The rest of the scent is just an average vetiver IMO along with a bit of raw, almost sour smelling leather lingering about. It's not terrible, and has a certain sense of unique class to it, but I own several better leather scents and several far better vetivers. This isn't working for me, but I appreciate the nuance behind the fragrance. A Neutral is the best I can do.
26th October, 2017
This is an excellent update of the Bel Ami formula, probably closest to the second edition of Bel Ami. It smells "classic" in a good way... The vetiver gives it a bit of lift and a modern twist but it still comes across as very well put-together and buttoned-down. I am a big fan of the originals - but I am wearing the Vetiver version as part of my regular rotation now. Nicely done, Mr. Elena.
31st May, 2017
JCE's re-imagination of Bel Ami. It is exactly what it says. The modern version Bel Ami, with vetiver. At first, it smells a little bit like bubble gum because of the combination. You can easily pick out the original bel ami. Dry down turns it into a smokier Bel Ami. It is exceptional and potent.

For those who are familiar with Le Labo, this is the Cade 26 candle and the original Bel Ami is Santal 26 candle. Cade is everything santal is, just smokier and more "baroque."
28th April, 2017
By all accounts, Jean-Claude Ellena has pulled off a very simple trick in designing Bel Ami Vetiver. In an attempt to update the original Bel Ami to give it a more contemporary feel, the patchouli base note is replaced with the eponymous vetiver wood. As far as I am concerned, it works like a dream. There is the same glow of a small handful of notes brought together with care and craft. In actual fact BAV doesn't develop much and has at best average performance - those things we normally look for as criteria in judging a fragrance - but for me it's a bit like Puskas' left foot. When the one trick it pulls is this good, you don't end up wishing for anything else. Leather, smoky vetiver, and a touch of citrus in one elegant, understated, and highly sophisticated package. In my book, this has got all the makings of a modern classic. Now, I wonder how Guerlain feel about putting some vetiver in L'Instant pour homme?
02nd February, 2017
Is this a nice quality scent? Yes. Is it the end all be all scent? No. That's the issue I have with this juice. I suppose I expected to much. The longevity and projection IMO are lacking. I find that it does smell of quality construction just doesn't have enough umph to get it over the top. For a leather scent, it is nice... if you can find it in your price range, then go for it. Enjoy!

Update: After a few more wearings I would say this is an exceptional leathery scent. Longevity is in the 6 to 7 hour range for me with 2 sprays. FULL BOTTLE WORTHY!
12th January, 2017 (last edited: 06th February, 2017)
Smells a lot like the 2nd version of Bel Ami. Nice idea, but I think a stronger vetiver note should have been added. Just to similar to the 2nd version IMO. Overall a nice fragrance indeed but if you own the original, I don't feel the need to own the vetiver version. 7.5/10
11th May, 2016