Coven (2013)

Coven information

Year of Launch2013

HouseAndrea Maack

About Coven

Coven is a shared / unisex perfume by Andrea Maack. The scent was launched in 2013

Coven fragrance notes

Reviews of Coven

Are you ready for the millionth sort of post-modern “soil-concrete” scent squeezing the desperate hell out of an idea which was barely enough for one scent? Yay. Coven opens with a particularly irritating smell of something halfway uncooked rice and damp paper on a rather confused sort of earthy-spicy-floral base accidentally spilled on wet soil. And so remains for a while. But when you’re almost ready to let the last bit of hope go, there’s a nice slow transition revealing a sort of weightless, synthetic floral-green heart with a warm albeit rather cheap sort of tobacco-infused designer woody-boozy feel (that reminds me so clearly of a scent I can’t remember at the moment – maybe Versace Man on steroids). Overall decent, but basically it evolves from a boring wannabe avantgarde thing, to a boring ordinary designer thing. Either it’s genius or...

22nd November, 2015
Coven is great. It's one of the strongest grass/soil-dominant fragrances I've put my nose on. It's surprisingly fresh for such an ominously titled work. Buried underneath the earthen peat and moss I detect a warm sweetness (perhaps the whiskey?) and strangely enough, a muddled yet noticeable minty note. It kind of tingles the nostrils and adds a confounding ethereal quality to the overall composition. It's like sauntering through some dark, damp woods at 5 am. The air is cold and filled with foggy early-morning moisture and the thick scent of moss and dirt rise up from beneath you.

Its very well balanced, and smells satisfying and evocative while still being very wearable and pleasant. While I do love it, I occasionally get a little bit tired of it and have to give it a break, but I always return to it. Performs very very well, lasts all day and projects. 8/10
11th June, 2015
The scent of being knocked off one’s bike to land nose-first in a privet hedge, with the dry soil underneath choking one’s throat. Lord, it makes me feel alive.
The green notes here are photorealistic and exceptionally good – listed as grass but to me this is the vibrant, slightly bitter, always enlivening smell of recently cut hedges. Combine this with soil tincture of a throat-constricting dry earthiness with remnants of moss mixed in and you have a perfume that hurls you into the life of nature. Much needed in the denatured spaces of urban life. The earth tones bloom and sweeten over time and the whole creation loses its initial velocity to become much gentler and airier on one’s skin. It’s also inevitable that the green notes grow more generic after half a day’s wear, but the perfume remains compelling.
Coven should be sought out by all who value green perfumes; the first few hours make me think we are up there with the classics of contemporary perfumery. Something with such a distinct personality is clearly not for everyone – my partner recoiled upon smelling the first brisk spray. This Coven is up to thrilling, tingly things and – don’t tell anyone – I’ve joined.
30th April, 2015
Once in a while, I have the urge to search for a fragrance that is really wild and unique to satisfy my cravings for originality and creativity, something that would make me bluntly yell out “What on earth is that?” or “What the heck is in here?” Though this could be an endless journey, one such example has recently stopped me in my tracks and made me ponder if I was actually smelling a bottle of fragrance or a piece of landscape from Middle-earth. Thus, I feel compelled to write a little review on Andrea Maack Coven.
Andrea Maack is not very well-known, even in the fragrance community. She is an artist from Iceland who has great visions in perfumery. While I like most fragrances in her collection Coven is truly the standout of the bunch, and not because it involves witchcraft. This little potion has me bewitched from the very first spray. Remember those summer days when you were mowing the lawn and you were overwhelmed by the smell of freshly cut grass? Well, Coven will take you for a long stroll down that memory lane. So, if the sound of this repels you even a little bit then stay clear of its path. I admit, the green note is very sharp in this fragrance, one would wonder if you have just rolled yourself in that pile of grass you just mowed or in the tree branches you just cut down. But I warn you, it becomes even more unorthodox as it evolves. So, let’s continue using our lawn example. You mowed it well, pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you did a great job, but luckily all this work was done just before a thunderstorm hit, the rain came down at full force, flipping the soil beneath the piles of grass, transforming your lawn into a muddy pond! Suddenly, the air was somewhat fresher, but there was an unmistakable odor of wet soil around you. And that my friends is the star of this fragrance; “wet soil”.
“Are you kidding me?” you ask. I can assure you that my face cannot be more serious than right now as I’m writing this review. Not far from the truth, Andrea has intended Coven to portray a deep and dark forest in the medieval times, possibly where the witches practiced their witchery. What a great rainy day fragrance this might be!
So, next time when you mow the lawn, don’t forget to put on some Andrea Maack Coven, with the grassy and wet soil scent you’re projecting you might give your wife the impression that you’ve worked much harder than you did, but please, keep this witchcraft just between you and I.

14th December, 2014 (last edited: 22nd April, 2016)

Add your review of Coven

Shop for Coven products online

Search Amazon for Coven

Member images of Coven

There are no member images of Coven yet. Why not be the first?