Woo (2012)

Year of Launch2012

HouseHouse of Matriarch
PerfumerChristi Meshell

About Woo

Woo is a shared / unisex perfume by House of Matriarch. The scent was launched in 2012 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christi Meshell

Reviews of Woo

In the opening phase I get a kind of woodsy-patchouli-creosote accord, with an impression of creamy tropical florals beneath. As it develops over the first hour, there is a sun-warmed skin vibe, the leather note becomes more pronounced, & the florals more indolic. The projection is low to moderate, but it gives off nice little wafts of fragrance as I move. After three hours it's more of a skin scent, & there's a soft, smooth tobacco subtly laced with sweet vanilla in the base. Nine hours in there are still traces of it on my skin.
This one reminds me a little of Suntanglam by SP Parfums, which I already own & love, although the projection & longevity aren't as impressive. I guess that's the drawback with something classed as "all natural". I would class it as a leathery, animalic, tropical floral, & as it has very little sweetness, I'd say it could easily be worn by either gender. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I did find myself compulsively sniffing my arm, for the first few hours at least.
13th June, 2018
A balmy, dark, unusual and terribly fascinating contemporary scent with the “allure” and the sensual depth of an old chypre: I get jasmine, benzoin, tobacco, a fantastic powdery note of rose, a subtle salty-anisic breeze and a shady, hyper-dark veil of leather on the base, dusted with something sweet, earthy and dusty (I thought of cocoa beans but I don’t see them listed). The ambergris note is there, and for once it is quite realistic: it is not the usual, artificial, musky ambroxan-driven note, but rather the smell of real ambergris, so a rooty, animalic, “organic” and salty note with a slight sort of iodine-camphorous aftertaste. Woo has the personality of old Guerlain’s (I thought of vintage Chamade, for instance) or other prominent vintage chypres, mostly because of leather, rose and the indolic whiffs of dead flowers, and it also quite reminds me of Dzing! by L’artisan. But at the same time, it’s totally new, fresh, creative and contemporary: the creativity here, for me, lies mostly in a really genius touch of salty iodine, a crystalline azure touch on a warm, dark blend centered on jasmine, tobacco and leather. A balmy, dark, warm yet fresh and sea-inspired scent that mixes a nostalgic inspiration with a futuristic, refined “azure-blackness”. Quite nondescript; try it if you have the chance to. As much terrific as overpriced though, but apparently House of Matriarch does heavy discounts sometimes (I guess it’s the only moment they manage to sell some bottles).

7,5-8/10
11th January, 2015
House of Matriarch Woo is an outstanding combination of immediately heady tropical flowers (Ibiscus, Orchid, Orange Flower, Frangipani???- it seems to detect also indolic jasmine) over a stout leather/tobacco combo finally soothed by hints of balsams and soapy amber. The floral elements are slightly indolic (I detect a faint typical flowerpot stale water undertone immediately followed by redolent white flowers perfume) while the leather is soon notable joined by rounding tobacco/vanilla. A marine note provides a minimally detectable touch of saltiness which enhances the obsessive tropical flowers intensity. There is a general sultriness around the Woo's wearer, it seems to detect exotic ylang-ylang and the aroma smells extremely erotic and tropical. The note of tobacco becomes more and more enveloping and shadowy along the time as perfectly linked with the note of leather (which, yet present, is initially a bit veiled by the floral intensity while finally seems exalted by the tobacco exotic warmth). Several indolic floral Acampora's creations jump on mind (Blu for instance). Really excellent Christi Meshell's alchemy, glamour and sexy.
12th October, 2014 (last edited: 11th October, 2014)

Add your review of Woo

End Date: Tuesday Feb-19-2019 18:36:48 PST
Buy It Now for only: $19.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Woo

There are no member images of Woo yet. Why not be the first?