Cape Heartache (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About Cape Heartache

Cape Heartache is a shared / unisex perfume by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Meyer

Reviews of Cape Heartache

Cape Heartache is simple, yet effective. It opens with slight wood smoke, fresh pine needles, and a tangy-sweet strawberry note. I am instantly brought back to various points in my childhood, be it sitting around the christmas tree or visiting a local strawberry patch. It is definitely sweet, but when focusing on the sweetness, the woody notes jump out and catch it just before it becomes candied. As it dries down, the tangy strawberry recedes (remaining present, just sinking into the rest of the blend) while the pine/smoke and vanilla takes over. There is something to this that makes me a bit nostalgic. The way the woodsy, heavy masculine notes balance out the fun, young, bright, fruity note makes me think of growing up. Sort of yearning for the sweet, easier times of childhood, while trying to adjust to being serious. This is the scent of those weird in-between years, when you aren't a teenager, but adulthood just doesn't feel right yet. I have been meaning to purchase this for months..I'm sure I will eventually! Performance is formidable.
26th April, 2015
I agree with most reviews that Cape Heartache is relatively simple. The opening is strong but over time, while the pine resinates, the vanilla takes over slightly. It's slightly reminiscent of the pine in Creed's Epicea, but without the bergamot and with much more sweetness via the vanilla and strawberry notes, though I cannot myself detect the strawberry specifically.

Not surprisingly, this is more on the masculine side, and the pine and other woods automatically creates a strong cold weather association for me, like Christmas.

Great longevity, still present after 12+ hours including a shower in the middle, after which it still exists as a skin scent. Longevity is probably slightly better than Memoirs of a Trespasser, but both last a while with a few sprays.

After trying two of their fragrances, I'm already inclined to agree with others that $85 for a 60ml bottle is a very modest price for a solid EDP. So far, Imaginary Authors is a promising line, and I look forward to trying more of their fragrances.

8 out of 10
29th January, 2015 (last edited: 05th February, 2015)
Basically, as others have said, Cape Heartache is a simple fragrance of strawberries and pine. I think it might have been nicer with a little nutmeg, or something, added, to give it more of a base. But as it is, I must admit there’s nothing really bad about it, but it’s not anything special, either. Ironically, there’s nothing “heartache” about it because it seems like a happy scent to me. But I still feel like I’m wearing a paper pine tree air freshener (with strawberries), but, so far, no complaints from anybody around me. Cape Heartache leans more towards feminine than masculine.
31st December, 2014
This is quite interesting -- reminds me of my youth, running in the woods after being chased out of the strawberry fields by Farmer Adams. Pine and strawberry and vanilla. But a little bit of mystery. Nice longevity and decent sillage. I am liking this one. Decently priced as well....it's a much more intriguing fragrance than the notes pyramid might indicate. According to the makers: Douglas Fir, Pine Resin, Western Hemlock, Vanilla Leaf, Strawberry, Old Growth, Mountain Fog
20th March, 2014

Add your review of Cape Heartache

Shop for Cape Heartache products online

Search Amazon for Cape Heartache

Member images of Cape Heartache

There are no member images of Cape Heartache yet. Why not be the first?