Cape Heartache (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About Cape Heartache

Cape Heartache is a shared / unisex perfume by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Meyer

Reviews of Cape Heartache

Cape Heartache:

Paper-
This is a Christmas holiday at a cabin in the thick west coastal woods. It seems early morning or evening, due to a cooling dew like vibe. You have personally walked out through the forest to harvest the tree you will be placing in the entryway and you have brushed against every bit of foliage along the way. There is something very youthful in this strawberry note. More of the childhood memory of strawberry scents, than the note itself. This is the first offering from this house, in which I really noticed that, as opposed to a top, middle, bottom triangle, you can smell the notes individually and together, all at once poured into a candle and lit.

Skin-
This scent does a really great job at evoking the feeling of memory for me. The thing is I don't know exactly what memories they could be. It is so perfectly unisex, and aptly named. I might be remembering a lost love's lip gloss, but she could be remembering a night in the woods under the stars. I am thinking, I hope this as great for everyone else around me as it is for me.
07th August, 2017
One of my first purchases from this house and I love getting to break it out in the fall. Initially I hated this. Too smokey, but when it settled down and the strawberry notes came into play with the Douglas fir, Pine resin and the Vanilla leaf....magic! I was very taken by this and during my drove home I kept smelling my wrist where I applied the fragrance. I went right to the store the next day and got a bottle.

You really need to try it on your skin and not a test strip. This is what made me love what's coming out of this house. I'd say this leans more towards the masculine side, so not really something I'd like to smell on a woman. Purely for the fall and not office friendly unless your workplace is progressive.
22nd October, 2016
(EDIT): It's interesting what time will do with some fragrances. In actuality, the change is in me...or in my perception rather than in Cape Heartache. At any rate, I have been revisiting Cape Heartache over the last few days, and appreciating it very much.

I'm learning some things as I spend more time with fragrances. One of the things I'm learning as I become more a student of fragrance is that it's important to let your nose tell you about the fragrance, not your head. In my initial assessment of Cape Heartache, I believe reading the notes gave my mind some pre-conceived notions about what I was smelling. I am getting no strawberry in my recent wearings. What I am getting is the somewhat sweet, jammy quality that fir and pine resins and balsam naturally contain. This truly is a beautiful fragrance for lovers of conifer scents like myself. It is sweeter than Norne, but no less enjoyable to me as I've spent more time with it and allowed my nose to decide and not let my head implant notes based on pre-conceived mental images. I'm learning to adore it Cape Heartache and give it two thumbs up.

I'll have to go with a neutral rating for this fragrance. It starts out so beautifully. The coniferous/pine scent in the opening notes is just wonderful, but then, very quickly it turns sickly sweet into a synthetic strawberry jam smell that made me sick and in time gave me a headache. The pine opening was so nice initially, but I'll have to go with a neutral rating I guess, as the opening might be beautiful, but the sweet/synthetic strawberry smell ended up being the main ride through the day, and as I mentioned, it made me sick over time.
24th February, 2016 (last edited: 04th February, 2017)
On me, Cape Heartache is a complicated evergreen forest smell, earthy and woody with the smell of bark and dirt, but very sweet. Actually, someone had to point out the strawberry note to me, though it was obvious once I knew it was there. On my skin, it's more like a fruity sweetness than the star of the show.

All in all, I like this perfume - I'm a sucker for forest scents and Cape Heartache is a fun take on the genre. It's a definite thumbs-up, though I must admit that I find it interesting as a study or a diversion, but not deeply compelling. When I want a compelling mix of pine and fruit, I personally think Lutens' Fille En Aiguilles is a step up from this, though I still think Cape Heartache is definitely worth a sniff.
02nd October, 2015
I will usually try to find and read a note pyramid before sampling a fragrance for the first time, and after reading the composition for Cape Heartache I had expectations that I would like it. I have also often found that what may appear nice or appealing may in fact be awkward or dreadful in reality. While not dreadful, Cape Heartache does come across very awkward.

The opening combination of strawberry, vanilla with a coniferous powdery wood is one of the most unusual, if not disagreeable accords I've come across.. The opening is all strawberry jelly donuts, while the wood is barely detectable. The accord then heads in the right direction with the strawberry fading and the wood and vanilla taking over, but it's still a smothering mess for most of the first two hours. Finally it settles into a sugar and pine note that just never felt very natural to me.

I respect those that appreciate the avant garde nature of Cape Heartache, but it strays off course into A*men flanker territory for me, and I just can't get comfortable with it. Thumbs down.
12th September, 2015 (last edited: 12th February, 2016)
I like this, it is a wonderfully woody scent. Unlike others, I don't really get the strawberry note. Or the vanilla, for that matter.
Here's what I do get.
A very good opening, with lovely resinous and coniferous notes. Dry, woody, calming and energizing at the same time. The scent is in the Slumberhouse style but a bit more accessible. Beautiful, simple, focused. The scent develops a bit of sweetness but not problematic in my opinion. Much of the sweetness comes from a balsamic note -- to be expected in a woody scent.
If you like woody scents, then you need to give this a try.
01st August, 2015

Add your review of Cape Heartache

Shop for Cape Heartache products online

Search Amazon for Cape Heartache

Member images of Cape Heartache

There are no member images of Cape Heartache yet. Why not be the first?