Cape Heartache (2013)

Year of Launch2013

HouseImaginary Authors
PerfumerJosh Meyer

About Cape Heartache

Cape Heartache is a shared / unisex perfume by Imaginary Authors. The scent was launched in 2013 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Meyer

Reviews of Cape Heartache

I'll have to go with a neutral rating for this fragrance. It starts out so beautifully. The coniferous/pine scent in the opening notes is just wonderful, but then, very quickly it turns sickly sweet into a synthetic strawberry jam smell that made me sick and in time gave me a headache. The pine opening was so nice initially, but I'll have to go with a neutral rating I guess, as the opening might be beautiful, but the sweet/synthetic strawberry smell ended up being the main ride through the day, and as I mentioned, it made me sick over time. I was thinking about the difference between this strawberry smell, and the strawberry scent of Sadanne by Slumberhouse, which I love. This Cape Heartache strawberry scent as I mentioned smells synthetic and after it sat on my skin for several hours, it overpowered my desire to keep wearing it. Sadanne's strawberry scent however is a syrup/rum/liquor smell that dry's down a little bit spicy to my nose. I love the smell of the Sadanne on my skin and that was the only strawberry scent I'd ever worn until trying Cape Heartache. I will definitely wear Sadanne again, but I believe I'll put Cape Heartache on at some point in the future for the pine opening, and then scrub it off before it changes to the strawberry scent I didn't enjoy today.
24th February, 2016
On me, Cape Heartache is a complicated evergreen forest smell, earthy and woody with the smell of bark and dirt, but very sweet. Actually, someone had to point out the strawberry note to me, though it was obvious once I knew it was there. On my skin, it's more like a fruity sweetness than the star of the show.

All in all, I like this perfume - I'm a sucker for forest scents and Cape Heartache is a fun take on the genre. It's a definite thumbs-up, though I must admit that I find it interesting as a study or a diversion, but not deeply compelling. When I want a compelling mix of pine and fruit, I personally think Lutens' Fille En Aiguilles is a step up from this, though I still think Cape Heartache is definitely worth a sniff.
02nd October, 2015
I will usually try to find and read a note pyramid before sampling a fragrance for the first time, and after reading the composition for Cape Heartache I had expectations that I would like it. I have also often found that what may appear nice or appealing may in fact be awkward or dreadful in reality. While not dreadful, Cape Heartache does come across very awkward.

The opening combination of strawberry, vanilla with a coniferous powdery wood is one of the most unusual, if not disagreeable accords I've come across.. The opening is all strawberry jelly donuts, while the wood is barely detectable. The accord then heads in the right direction with the strawberry fading and the wood and vanilla taking over, but it's still a smothering mess for most of the first two hours. Finally it settles into a sugar and pine note that just never felt very natural to me.

I respect those that appreciate the avant garde nature of Cape Heartache, but it strays off course into A*men flanker territory for me, and I just can't get comfortable with it. Thumbs down.
12th September, 2015 (last edited: 12th February, 2016)
I like this, it is a wonderfully woody scent. Unlike others, I don't really get the strawberry note. Or the vanilla, for that matter.
Here's what I do get.
A very good opening, with lovely resinous and coniferous notes. Dry, woody, calming and energizing at the same time. The scent is in the Slumberhouse style but a bit more accessible. Beautiful, simple, focused. The scent develops a bit of sweetness but not problematic in my opinion. Much of the sweetness comes from a balsamic note -- to be expected in a woody scent.
If you like woody scents, then you need to give this a try.
01st August, 2015
As a fragrance psycho, I expect perfumes to display a certain level of complexity or even intrigue, and typically, the specimens that fail to engage me intellectually are often viewed as inferior. On the other hand, the freaks are not always the easiest to wear—for example, I admire Womanity but, would rather wear Premier Figuier when I’m craving fig. Cape Heartache is definitely not one of the intelligent oddities. In fact, the fragrance is so simple and densely packed, that it never unfurls—I just can’t get in there and explore the 4D architecture because there isn’t one. But, here is the kicker: it smells really good. This is because Josh Meyer tapped into something that I (and other reviewers) attribute to childhood nostalgia. As a child I played in the pine forest, nibbling wild strawberries as I rolled around in the dirt and moss. So, of course, CH just makes me smile.

I have a shampoo that smells quite a bit like CH.
26th July, 2015
Cape Heartache is simple, yet effective. It opens with slight wood smoke, fresh pine needles, and a tangy-sweet strawberry note. I am instantly brought back to various points in my childhood, be it sitting around the christmas tree or visiting a local strawberry patch. It is definitely sweet, but when focusing on the sweetness, the woody notes jump out and catch it just before it becomes candied. As it dries down, the tangy strawberry recedes (remaining present, just sinking into the rest of the blend) while the pine/smoke and vanilla takes over. There is something to this that makes me a bit nostalgic. The way the woodsy, heavy masculine notes balance out the fun, young, bright, fruity note makes me think of growing up. Sort of yearning for the sweet, easier times of childhood, while trying to adjust to being serious. This is the scent of those weird in-between years, when you aren't a teenager, but adulthood just doesn't feel right yet. I have been meaning to purchase this for months..I'm sure I will eventually! Performance is formidable.
26th April, 2015

Add your review of Cape Heartache

Shop for Cape Heartache products online

Search Amazon for Cape Heartache

Member images of Cape Heartache

There are no member images of Cape Heartache yet. Why not be the first?