Galloway (2014)

Galloway information

Year of Launch2014

HouseParfums de Marly

About Galloway

Galloway is a shared / unisex perfume by Parfums de Marly. The scent was launched in 2014

Galloway fragrance notes

Reviews of Galloway

Parfums de Marly is probably the biggest example of "The Emperor's New Clothes" in the niche or prestige realm, in the sense that most who smell the output from this house comment on the compositions being of mass appeal, unchallenging, and synthetic, making them very little if any different at all from designers which typically cost a third of the price, yet somehow there are those who come to the conclusion that Parfums de Marly makes a superior product to most lower-cost alternatives. Just like in the fable by Hans Christian Andersen, I feel most fans of the house are just unwilling to face the truth of the matter that they are being completely fleeced in the name of "status" or "prestige", since tit-for-tat most Parfums de Marly compositions have a very comparable if not identical designer alternative, because they don't want to be a voice of dissent that could be ostracized for blowing the whistle. Parfums de Marly Galloway (2014) is a unisex entry from the house, and one of two fragrances launched that year, with the other being the feminine-marketed Darcy (2014). Galloway comes in the "masculine" bottle presentation, leading those unbeknownst to think Galloway is for men, and the smell of the stuff also feels pretty masculine as well, even if it does ride on the fruity fresh 1990's side of things. The name Galloway itself comes from a region of Scotland famous for it's horses and cattle, which is neither here nor there like most of Parfums de Marly pseudo-historical marketing, which itself proves even thinner than what far superior-smelling Creed perpetuates.

The opening of Galloway is fairly common to the 90's and 2000's style, with bergamot, mandarin, some galoxide shampoo/shower gel vibe, and cardamom. Pink pepper eventually makes an appearance in the heart of Galloway, and at first I am suggested the tone of Molton Brown's pink pepper shower gel (which I quite like), with the way this pepper plays with the commercial-grade sweet citrus. Remember, this is a $300+ prestige fragrance I am reviewing, even though all of the above sounds like it could be found in a modern Avon or Calvin Klein. Some iris shows up but it's relatively muted compared to the pink pepper and cardamom, while a nice neroli and vetiver combination shows up late in the heart to infer a mix between Oscar de la Renta Gentlemen (2016) and Calvin Klein Obsessed (2017) especially when the ambrox super in the base takes command of the accord. The thick, earthy, semi-sweet variant of the ever-abused ambroxan base note rears up after just about 30 minutes, and joins hands with norlimbanol to bring you the telltale scratchy warmth of your favorite mall juice, assisted by a hint of white musk, recalling that 90's opening vibe in a full-circle kind of way. Wear time and sillage are the only things above board compared to Galloway's competition, with over 12 hours of wear time and tons of nearly-annoying sillage if applied in any appreciable quantities. This sits somewhere between summer juiciness and fall/winter warmth, and despite its unisex intent, feels more like what a guy could take clubbing, mainly thanks to the orange in the opening, and the ambery musk in the base. For guys too rich and "important" to be seen sporting Paco Rabanne 1 Million (2008), this might be your Friday night ticket to ride. For everyone else, Galloway is pleasant, if a tad cloying like most Parfums de Marly creations.

The problem here is once again, the fact that we are dealing with a very modern, very conventional (also read: ordinary), obviously synthetic rough-around-the-edges department store juice in a heavy bottle with a fancy cap sporting a price tag triple what you'd expect, that will make you question your career choice once you realize people are actually buying this without first sampling around. Many say this smells like Creed Green Irish Tweed (1985), which I find laughable at best because regardless of that scent's dependence on dihydromyrcenol, the masterful blending and floral beauty is such that you forget it even has any synthetics at all, which brings me to my point: synthetics in niche or "haute parfumerie" luxury brands are permissible, if they are applied with the same degree of care one would expect such a a costly, illustrious perfume house to handle naturally-sourced ingredients. With Galloway, I named nearly a half-dozen fragrances that could all stand in for it without so much as a blink of an eye, adding Lalique White (2008) to that list as well, which came out a full 6 years before Galloway, costs a fraction of the price, and was composed by current house perfumer for Hermès Christine Nagel. Choosing the Parfums de Marly at this point over the Lalique will only get you slightly higher performance and bragging rights for owning a Parfums de Marly, which is self-defeating when you can just wear a Clive Christian or a Roja Dove if you really want to shell out dough to smell like a million bucks. I give this a neutral for being a pleasant sweet spicy crowd-pleaser, but can't go any higher than that because of what you're getting versus what you're paying when considering the alternatives.
13th March, 2019
Just call it Green Irish Tweed Light. That's basically what it is. A young man's lighter version on GIT. Very nice and all but I prefer the real deal.
03rd November, 2018
surge Show all reviews
Absolutely love this one...very surprised given all the people that seem to despise it.
It's the absolutely PERFECT "designer vibe" fragrance that you see at the fragrance counter in Macy's or Bon Ton and expect it to be good but it never ends up being as good as it should be -- I generally don't like musk in my fragrances either but this is actually wearable. In short...I love it. PERFECT for spring!
It's neither masculine or feminine IMHO. Anyone could wear this for any occasion and smell great.
26th April, 2018
Galloway does have the same feel as Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water but it comes off sweeter and spicier to me. My initial impression was that it had a bubble gum note and then I changed that to cinnamon bubble gum, like Big Red, because of the spiciness/peppery notes. But overall, it’s a very pleasant, enjoyable “green” scent. Seems best for daytime with its green freshness but the sweet and spicy combo could be well worn at night on warm or slightly cooler evenings.

Decent projection but longevity is good. 8-10 hour range.
04th December, 2017
Thumbs WAYYYYY up!!!

So I was visiting my sister in the Maryland area and while there she took me to Nordstrom's. There I had the opportunity to try Oajan, Layton, Darley, and Galloway. Now, I thought Layton and Darley were unbelievable!!! (Hope to get my hands on either or both). And Oajan was too dark. However, Galloway I thought, this stuff smells horrible-pepper and more pepper and maybe something else but because I smelled so much pepper nothing else was detectable! Neither my wife nor my sister liked this one either. For some reason I couldn't understand. I read many reviews and some said this smelled like GIT, some mentioned that it was citrusy, some mentioned floral even sweet.

What did I smell then? I only got pepper, nothing sweet, spicy, no citrus, no GIT comparison...ZERO!!!

Fast forward a month later, I thought, "maybe it was just me I'd like to try this one again if I get the opportunity." So, I blind bought a 2.5 oz bottle for $80 bucks, what do I have to lose. After spraying one spray on my wrist, I thought, "this stuff is amazing." Even my wife said this smells great!!
Citrus-check, Pepper-check, Sweet spice-check, NICE-check!!
I have no idea what was in the bottle at Nordstrom's that day and I was on my way to discounting this one had I not given this a second try.

This does not remind me of GIT and I have not smelled Lalique White so I cannot make the comparison there. Galloway is slightly citrusy, but more so musky with some sweet pepper. The sweetness coming from the Orange Blossom and Iris combination mixed with the pepper is amazing! In the end you get a nice soft but straight forward fragrance with a spicy green (not forest green) somewhat woodsy background on top of that sweet citrusy opening. Know that what you get in the beginning is what you are going to get in the end...not a bad thing, just my observation.

I like this a lot! A very nice fragrance; not sure exactly what happen with the tester I tried in Nordstrom's but anyway, I look forward to wearing this one in the coming days!

Performance: 8/10
Longevity: 8/10
Silage: 8/10
Projection: 7.5/10
Overall: 8/10
13th September, 2017
I'll give this one a neutral because it's in the family of GIT,Chez Bond but smells like a better blend of Coolwater. This takes the place of GIT/Coolwater mentions of similarities.

22nd April, 2017

Add your review of Galloway

Shop for Galloway products online

Shop for Galloway at online perfumeries

Parfums De Marly Galloway By Parfums De Marly Eau De Parfum Spray 4.2 Oz

Parfums de Marly Galloway Eau de Parfum Unisex 125 ml | cod. B771105 CA

End Date: Sunday Mar-31-2019 11:38:16 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $241.40

Member images of Galloway

There are no member images of Galloway yet. Why not be the first?