Isparta 26 (2014)

HouseParfumerie Generale
PerfumerPierre Guillaume
Parent CompanyPierre Guillaume Diffusion

About Isparta 26

Isparta 26 is a shared / unisex perfume by Parfumerie Generale. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Guillaume

Isparta 26 fragrance notes

Reviews of Isparta 26

My first try from Parfumerie Generale, Isparta came highly recommended from the online fragrance community.

Rose is the predominant aspect of both the opening and dry down, and it's pleasant, and sweetly accompanied by the red berries in the opening that color it well without giving it a dessert- or jammy-like sweetness. It's a fruity yet reserved sweetness.

I'm fortunate to not to be overwhelmed by the patchouli in the dry down, as I mainly get a combination of benzoin, incense, and balsam. So the overall experience, while rose-dominant, is characterized by the red berry mix at the opening, as the note breakdown indicates, followed by a resinous, woody dry down for the most part. Isparta cleverly walks the line between sophisticated and playful, as I might enjoying wearing this out to a party as much as I would sitting around the house.

At $150 for 50ml, this is a nice fragrance but I'm not sure it's completely worthwhile, given that its performance is very good on longevity but not so much on projection, though for that reason, it has yearround wearability. Isparta is also pretty much a unisex fragrance, with redeeming elements that work for men and women alike.

A clear winner, with the only variable holding me back from proverbially "adding it to my list" being the performance:price ratio.

8 out of 10
13th March, 2017
The first time I sprayed it, I could smell only the cool, fresh red fruit and wood. I disliked it. I was missing the rose. I was missing the whole point of this perfume. I sprayed it a second time after 5 minutes, and I could smell a beautiful, spicy rose. I loved it. Third time I tried it, I found it dull again... Then it transformed into love. I have no idea about what kind of rating I should give it now. Neutral, I guess, if I make the average.
If sillage was better, I would even consider buying a full bottle. For more love and more hate. Longevity is very good.
05th January, 2017
The roses that are harvested in Isparta are hardy little things, growing out of the stony soil and rocks on the sparse hills around the city of Isparta in Turkey. Picked before dawn so that the buds are not fully opened, the scent of their petals when distilled is said to be especially intense and spicy.

Indeed, the aroma of these roses is so rich and piquant that one gets the impression of red rubies glowing hotly in the dark. The peppery fullness of the rose notes is fleshed out with a bright, cold, tart berry accord – raspberries and blackcurrants – adding a succulence and depth that is simply mouth-watering.

The berries remind me a bit of Portrait of a Lady, in particular in the way that they are used to temper and manage the fruity side of the rose oil, but the effect here, while just as “chilly,” is not as camphoraceously green as in Portrait of a Lady. The rose-berry accord in Isparta is juicier and sweeter, like a bunch of berries, rose petals, and geranium leaves jellied in aspic.

Soon, though, a dark, dry, hulking base rises like the damp to swallow the rose and berry jelly. There is one ferociously strong patchouli oil at play here - the louche, dank sort worn by guys with sideburns and a pool cue under their arm – and a dry, salty oakmoss. The patchouli represents the black mountain ground and the oakmoss the flinty, saline rocks and moss that choke the earth on those hostile steppes, forcing the Isparta rose to rise up against all odds.

I can see why people think there is oud in this, even though there is not. Like Portrait of a Lady, the combination of smoke, woods, patchouli, and incense suggests a thick sourness that makes one think of oud.

This is a beautiful, heavy, potent rose-patchouli perfume with a salty, mossy chypre drydown. I see nothing wrong with it, unless you already have Portrait of a Lady, which although not completely alike are most definitely plumbing the same thematic ground (dark, smoky rose oriental). But for those of you who find Portrait of a Lady too much, then Isparta might be a perfect choice, as it is softer and smoother all round.

Longevity is phenomenal. But can I say something about longevity here? What good is longevity if what you’re smelling on hour 38 is a washed-out, standard Ambroxan, with all of the really good, rich, or interesting notes falling away within the first six hours?

This is the case both with Isparta and Portrait of a Lady (and indeed a good many super-charged woody ambery fragrances these days). Fragrance is as subject to the law of diminishing returns as sex, cigarettes, and binge-watching episodes of The House of Cards – amazing to a certain point, but diminishing in satisfaction with every additional unit. In other words, the first hour of sex, of the TV series, of the perfume, that first cigarette – those are the best. But then chafing or boredom sets in. Is it not better to have a really enjoyable 3-4 hours than a mediocre, even miserable experience at hour 38?
06th March, 2016
Isparta is a turkish city in the snowy mountains of Taurus, with its aromatic forests of pine, juniper and cedar. Isparta is an agricultural town surrounded by lakes and beautiful areas rich in wild flowers.

The ingredients for making a great perfume were all here!

The city is located in the southwest of Turkey. Known as the capital of the rose, it gives rise to an important production of roses: essential oil, rose water and soaps, detergents, jams, candy, liquor, rose colonies.
This perfume opens the way for a new toothpaste for children!

Like all religious people, even the Turks like the rose, which in Turkey is called "gul", which also means "smile".
In Turkey, when you are a guest in someone's home you will serve with traditional rose water on your hands.
Now the friendly Turks will also serve you a toothpaste after meals!

So, GUL or better Glu…glugluglu!

Smile! With your ambroxan blueberry teeth!

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

01st June, 2015
This was recommended to me as a new chypre. But this fragrance went badly astray on me due to one note (one chemical), the 'red berries'. This is at least the fifth or sixth fragrance that became nose-searingly harsh due to its dark fruit note. Its presence in a fragrance renders it an unpleasant misery. I endured the harshness for an hour before showering it off. I can't speak to this fragrance at all, except to the vileness of the red berry chemical on my skin. Nightmarish.
30th August, 2014
Dusty, dark and earthy rose with oudhy incense base. The oud here is not the stinky types nor animalic but warmed by patchouli and balanced.

Opens with a dusty and dark red rose with hints of patchouli and lingers for a long time and then settles down to a softer earthy base with patchouly and the incense now coming to the fore...smells of rose throughout.

Seems like a classic treatment of rose+oud but not the dewy, bight and fresh type but a more mature darker and dusty rose oud grounded by patchouli and incense.

Discreet not too great sillage but longevity is enormous on my skin, lasted for more than 12+ hrs.

Cant get this out of my mind...almost tempted to spring for a FB.
23rd April, 2014

Add your review of Isparta 26

Shop for Isparta 26 products online

PARFUMERIE GENERALE NO. 26 ISPARTA EAU DE PARFUM - 100 ML/3.3 FL. OZ. BRAND NEW

End Date: Saturday Jun-8-2019 7:40:26 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $250.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Isparta 26

There are no member images of Isparta 26 yet. Why not be the first?