Boccanera (2014)

Year of Launch2014

HouseOrto Parisi
PerfumerAlessandro Gualtieri

About Boccanera

Boccanera is a shared / unisex perfume by Orto Parisi. The scent was launched in 2014 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Alessandro Gualtieri

Boccanera fragrance notes

Reviews of Boccanera

Dark chocolate with some mild spices. Dry. In the base there is synthetic oud. It gets sweeter, the dark chocolate is gone and it's a linear drydown with dry woods and musk.
19th March, 2018
Boccanera is my first try from the house of Orto Parisi as it's seemingly one of the higher-reputed entries from the line, and certainly the most-discussed that I've seen.

It's a nice dark composition, a mixture of chocolate, pepper, and sandalwood, primarily, with hints of ginger and musk. Fortunately, this in case, ginger does not spoil the fragrance, but its own spicy aspect does distract from the pepper's, not add to it, unfortunately. Still, the overall blend is nice---a bold, cold-weather-leaning beast that performs admirably and combines the sweet and spicy and woody.

In the US it seems to be available only at Luckyscent and Bergdorf Goodman for its standard pricing of $195 for 50ml, slightly cheaper than a Tom Ford Private Blend (though unlike the TFPB, not available in higher volume bottles like flacons). I'd say at this price point, it's roughly in the category of one needing to really love it in order to buy it, and I'm just not quite that sold on it. I like the balance of it, but I'm simply not swooning over it. Still, a nice first impression of the house for me.

7 out of 10
20th July, 2017
Boccanera is a cold weather fragrance and with the cold snap here in Chicago it was the perfect day to return to it. I can say, without hesitation, that I love this cologne. Admittedly it's a bit of a mélange, with no clear notes that stand out. Some might call that a muddle. Don't care. It's my kind of muddle.

It's a warm scent, rich and sexy. The scent tree above (sweet notes and spices) are not accurate to my nose. I get very little spice from it. Is it gourmand? Perhaps partially but not absolutely. On the gourmand side, I detect hints of dark coffee and walnut oil but only modest sweetness. At times, I taste bitter chocolate distantly. The light sweetness is tempered by an almost animalic musk, something dusky. Not smoke but a hint of charred wood.

All these notes weave together to create a rich, comforting scent with good longevity and modest sillage. Just about perfect.
26th June, 2017 (last edited: 27th June, 2017)
Oviatt Show all reviews
On the face of it, Orto Parisi is not my style of fragrance house--too edgy, too niche and more than a little obstreperous. I was not a real fan of Black Afgano for these very reasons. That said, despite its alarming name, I really responded positively to Stercus (visceral is the only way to describe it). Dark, intensely human and very sexy. This house is no extension to a fashion line, style or ethos. You do not wear these scents and associate them with a well tailored gent walking down Jermyn Street, or Italian luxury goods or a stroll down the Champs Elysees--Orto Parisi is the opposite of all that, something that is primal, bestial, stripped of all civilizing refinements. Boccanera, which means dark mouth in Italian, is another winner for me. Similar to Stercus in its humanity and sexiness, Boccanera has a drier, herbal/vegetal note and a very realistic cocoa note, mingling with a slightly sweaty (clean sweat!), musky base. So, the "dark mouths" the name alludes to are limited on a human body--there are only a small number of holes that can be explored olfactorily and they are generally not associated with good smells. But then, you would have to define what you mean by good. Alessandro Gaultieri makes us rethink our approach to such things and in so doing has given us some really wonderful scents. The sillage is subtle (thank goodness!) but the lasting power--thanks to the high concentration of quality ingredients--is impressive. Occasionally, I like to pair scents like this with a bespoke suit and often wear polished, sophisticated fragrances like Heritage or Bois du Portugal with jeans and a sweater--the contrast is unexpected and all the more interesting because of it. Definitely a try before you buy, but give these a try and do not think of them in terms of Black Afgano--they can stand on their own.
01st November, 2016
Les Liquides Imaginaires Fortis (spicier) and partially Montale Dark Aoud (starker on the piquant woodiness) more than the far more oriental Gualtieri's Nasomatto Black Afgano jump straight on mind. While I appreciate (for its specific goals) the "infamous" Black Afgano (which I see has shocked many immaculate Chanel Cuir de Russie's hardcore devotes here on Basenotes) for its gothic and misty "intentionally unbalanced" orientalism (deliberately excessive and provocative cause could not be in a different way if you decide to combine hashish, oudh, cocoa, woodsy resins, cipriol oil, Vetiver, coffee and a ton of dark ingredients in order to create an Halloween-type synthetic infuse) I frankly don't crave for Boccanera with its stark black pepper-synthetic leather-sandalwood accord in which the rounding note of cocoa hardly subdues the almost impetuous central chemical-gassy woodiness (while in Black Afgano it tended to be finally absorbed by a cloud of misty resinous density). Anyway, nothing new under the sun, Boccanera smells intensely woody (the sandalwood/black pepper accord determines the 70% of the aroma) and finally smoother, more rounded, fresher, vaguely ambery-spicy, still woodsy resinous, never properly chocolatey, more decidedly musky (the dry down is really close to the Fortis's one while the boisterous initial peppery and starkly woody presence leans over the Dark Aoud's side). The Boccanera's dry down is smoother, lighter, vaguely fluidy-aromatic and far more wearable (with a sort of freshly classic background). Cuirs Carner Barcelona jumps more than vaguely on mind too but if you wanna find a superior solution on this "intensely gloomy" genre stick to the great Bruno Acampora Nero.
P.S: the dry down is really too sweet anyway, my rating is barely medium at moment.
24th March, 2015 (last edited: 25th March, 2015)
I tried this earlier in the year before it saw official distribution and I quite liked it, although I noted that it was suspiciously close to Black Afgano. A few months later, I reviewed the rest of the line and found them to be either poor remixes of BA or horrifyingly loud chemical slop buckets. So here I am back at Boccanera to give it another shake.

Dry, powdered cocoa is the first thing that hits you, and there’s a milky cedar tone lurking around beneath. The BA likeness is immediate, only here it’s backgrounded with culinary spices slapped on as well. I actually do detect the weed note in BA, and I get it here too—a sage-based accord, but it’s tucked away behind the cocoa here. There’s something kind of sweaty about it as well—a small cumin note, perhaps—but when it’s paired with the sage, it comes across a bit like paint. Like the other scents in the line, this is brazenly powerful and quite chemical smelling (although I suspect there’s cocoa absolute at work), yet it’s enjoyable for what it is—a wonky, countercultural stinky dessert type thing.

Overall, I’d say that it’s very busy, but I’d hesitate to call it “complex” as I don’t find it to be that articulate. The base is the standard Nasomatto base that he’s done over and over—synthetic ebanol-style sandalwood bomb that’s shaded by the usual woodyamber chemicals he overdoses for insane longevity. And yes, this one lasts far too long as the result.

In general, this line was a real let down—low-brow Nasomatto remixes for the most part. But they do have some clumsy charm to them, and I can see them being a big hit for the right person. But for my money, Slumberhouse’s Ore does the dry cocoa and musk thing so much better than this. Boccanera isn’t the most offensive scent in the line (I think that award would go to Bergamask), but it doesn’t feel like an appealing perfume either. To me, Orto Parisi is kind of like the comic book version of perfumery—loud, gaudy, a tad juvenile perhaps, with “kapow!” and “blam!” explosive lettering grafted onto it. The line pummels you in every aesthetic sense, and Boccanera really isn’t any different in that regard. If you hated Black Afgano (and many people do), don’t even bother getting anywhere close to this one.
29th December, 2014

Add your review of Boccanera

Shop for Boccanera products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Boccanera

There are no member images of Boccanera yet. Why not be the first?